JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Certainly a market.
Try Craigslist and Etsy (as well as here) to build a client base. Interested to see pics of your display builds.
I wouldn't mind having a quick removable magnetic glass window frame 1911 display for my "Watchmen" stainless pistol build I'm
Doing this summer.
Etsy especially for crafts. Last year I bought a leather sling and some shell holders there and was pleasantly surprised at the experience. I've been back several times.

Certainly a market.
Try Craigslist and Etsy (as well as here) to build a client base. Interested to see pics of your display builds.
I wouldn't mind having a quick removable magnetic glass window frame 1911 display for my "Watchmen" stainless pistol build I'm
Doing this summer.
Craigslist I would definitely not do. Same with marketplace.

Etsy, could be an option, but I dont see this expanding to that point.

This was more just an idea of something I'd do here in this community as a passion project if there was a potential market.

A while back a friend worked on a demo (demolish) of a bank and gave me the very large/thick/heavy bullet proof glass panels. I always thought it would be fun to make a very secure display box with it. Just haven't gotten around to doing it.

Etsy especially for crafts. Last year I bought a leather sling and some shell holders there and was pleasantly surprised at the experience. I've been back several times.
They have some really cool stuff on there.
When I first heard of Etsy I thought it was all hippie artist junk.. but they actually have incredible artists, 3D printers, Kydex holster makers and various craftsmen making all sorts of really cool things. And as you mentioned, leather workers too! Some really cool holsters and belts all custom made to order. I was dead wrong about Etsy after I saw what was actually on that site.

Craigslist I would definitely not do. Same with marketplace.

Etsy, could be an option, but I dont see this expanding to that point.

This was more just an idea of something I'd do here in this community as a passion project if there was a potential market.

True. Craigslist has some low tier types trying to scam and waste everyone's time. But Etsy is certainly an option, even if it's just a few prices a year.

I'd still like to see what you make though should you have the chance.

They have some really cool stuff on there.
When I first heard of Etsy I thought it was all hippie artist junk.. but they actually have incredible artists, 3D printers, Kydex holster makers and various craftsmen making all sorts of really cool things. And as you mentioned, leather workers too! Some really cool holsters and belts all custom made to order. I was dead wrong about Etsy after I saw what was actually on that site.
Exactly same experience here. I kept having Etsy show up in my search results and kept ignoring it. Finally I went OK <sigh> I'll look but I know this is going to suck. Now a year later I've bought half a dozen items from there.

I wouldn't be so much interested in display cases as custom storage for mags and accessories. If that's something you are down to try out, shoot me a PM.
200.gif

One of the guys on another forum did a "showcase" type of taxidermy that I thought looked great.

It is almost like a museum piece that really embellishes on their local and regional "feel" to the piece.

If a guy wanted to , it'd be possible to include stuff like local brewery/vinyard... Or a burlap bag full off clams,
maybe a stringer of fish...

This is kind of along the same lines of what you are thinki8ng about.
1709191388894.png

One of the guys on another forum did a "showcase" type of taxidermy that I thought looked great.

It is almost like a museum piece that really embellishes on their local and regional "feel" to the piece.

If a guy wanted to , it'd be possible to include stuff like local brewery/vinyard... Or a burlap bag full off clams,
maybe a stringer of fish...

This is kind of along the same lines of what you are thinki8ng about.
View attachment 1833395
It's a neat & interesting display. Not exactly what I was talking about here, but it stirs some ideas.

I have been looking at these pack mount type displays recently, but was only considering it for myself if I ever did one.

20240228_233844.jpg

EDIT TO ADD: I suppose if someone wanted to get kinda wild with a custom display I'd be down for listening. My original thought would be the obvious handgun or rifle or blade of some sort type display. Honestly though, if someone wanted to commission a larger scale or more intricate display I'd have a conversation.

You've got to think about your market for display furniture. Like others have said, display in the home now is rare. The Goodwill frequently has gun cabinets donated to them and they sell for next to nothing. I have one I bought to store ammo in, just had to make the interior shelves for it.

Some guys use display type cases to sell at gun shows. But gun shows are going down the drain so there goes that venue.

I wouldn't be so much interested in display cases as custom storage for mags and accessories.
This idea probably has merit, like for the interiors of gun safes.

There might be some market for displaying veterans items, awards, etc. A lot of that stuff already available is made cheaply overseas, but it's probably a big market with some room for custom work?

Display cases for knives might be an easier sell.

Price them so it's worth your time. Better to have 1 buyer and a profit than 10 buyers and a hobby.

Or price things lower to justify building up skills.

Quality work will bring buyers... and a lot of lowballers, who you should have a plan to deal with/avoid.

Display cases for knives might be an easier sell.

Price them so it's worth your time. Better to have 1 buyer and a profit than 10 buyers and a hobby.

Or price things lower to justify building up skills.

Quality work will bring buyers... and a lot of lowballers, who you should have a plan to deal with/avoid.
Agreed on the knives. We'll see how things go after I make a couple to showcase. Might turn into something completely different all together.

No way I could price this type of stuff to actually be "worth" my time financially. As a professional finish carpenter, its highly unlikely anyone would pay my real world rates for something like this. I'm ok with that since my passion for firearms and wood working is what makes it worth it for me. Not relying on this as an income, so it eases that burden and allows me the opportunity to just have fun.

The lowballers/tire kickers will always be around. Fortunately, having been a business owner as long as I have they're easy to spot.

Agreed on the knives. We'll see how things go after I make a couple to showcase. Might turn into something completely different all together.

No way I could price this type of stuff to actually be "worth" my time financially. As a professional finish carpenter, its highly unlikely anyone would pay my real world rates for something like this. I'm ok with that since my passion for firearms and wood working is what makes it worth it for me. Not relying on this as an income, so it eases that burden and allows me the opportunity to just have fun.

The lowballers/tire kickers will always be around. Fortunately, having been a business owner as long as I have they're easy to spot.
I've seen more than one craftsman approach the hobbyist market, get an order wait list that runs years out and then realize they aren't getting paid. It sounds like you are already a professional with a solid background, so I'm sure you'll avoid that. Just a red flag for the aspiring. It can get out of control pretty quickly.

Re: legality of safe storage laws...

A display case that also secured the gun would pass legal muster. Just because you can see the gun doesn't mean the design allows it to get thru the window (rifles). You could also design a display case with a larger window with a locking rack inside. Or just a display with a locking rack/mount.

This would take some creativity but it could bring back the nostalgia of home gun display racks with the modernized lock feature.

Mind you its still visible to theives though Id probably put em in the real safe when traveling.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top