JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good evening all.

Not a shotgun person, so hoping the community can help me out.

Had a close friend had a stroke 3 years back, and unfortunately, his mobility on his left side is minimal (about 20% usage). He was a pistol person, but has finally come to the realization that he is toast beyond his first shot.
Figure shotguns might be a better option for him, so want to ask you folks for recommendations. He asked about the tac-13, but again, not a shotgun person, so uncertain.
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

A semi-auto would seem to be ther choice - but it would require substantial familiarization. The TAC-13 is 'about' the most amazing close defense weapon ever. But, you must load it and cycle the op lever to chamber a cartridge or clear a potential stoppage (jam).

PO beat me to it, Was just gonna say, a Semi auto with the weak hand only for support would be ideal! Best would be a pistol grip of some sort, a little more vertical then the TAC, and with an over sized charge handle, might be just the ticket! Otherwise, might have to settle for Ol' Two Blasts side by side coach gun!

Good evening all.

Had a close friend had a stroke 3 years back, and unfortunately, his mobility on his left side is minimal (about 20% usage). He was a pistol person, but has finally come to the realization that he is toast beyond his first shot.
Figure shotguns might be a better option for him, so want to ask you folks for recommendations. He asked about the tac-13, but again, not a shotgun person, so uncertain.

Thanks for your time.
He will need a brace which may or may not make it a short-barreled shotgun. It can be a handful but with the brace he can use his elbow to press the brace into his side so the Tac 13 will be a little more controllable. SB makes a brace for the Tac 13

Good evening all.

Thanks for your time.
What do you mean by he is toast beyond his first shot? Do u mean he can only fire one round accurately, or?

If he can load a double barrel at all, having one pre loaded with 18" barrels and twin triggers might not be a bad idea. 2 shots, can't jam. A great option, no, but an option nonetheless

What do you mean by he is toast beyond his first shot? Do u mean he can only fire one round accurately, or?
I'm wondering too. Grip is not sufficient due to an overpowered hangun?

Personally, I would stick with a revolver over any shotgun or semi-auto handgun option. The question would be a caliber he is comfortable handling one handed and choosing among the myriad of aftermarket grip options.

Easily manipulated and controlled with one hand.

I'm trying to understand the logic that this person struggles with shooting a pistol, so the idea is to have him shoot a shotgun that is very likely to have more recoil than the pistol.

I'd recommend a good semi auto .22lr pistol and good ammo to go with it. If it were me I'd put a good ledge on the slide somewhere so I could rack it off my belt or the edge of a surface like a wall or furniture. That would effectively make it so he could run the whole thing with 1 hand, even cycle the action manually if necessary.

A semi auto shotgun, with a decent sling setup. It will take some retraining on his part no matter what. In the same situation I would likely go with a revolver.

Since it keeps being brought up, his reset takes to long. He had to train his off hand and non dominant eye to use his pistol. For him to be accurate, takes him almost a full 10 seconds to be ready for each follow up shot (took him 3 years to get this point, so he has come to the realization that a pistol for target shooting works, but wants something he can be more reactionary with, hence a shotgun).

Hope that clarifies things.

Since it keeps being brought up, his reset takes to long. He had to train his off hand and non dominant eye to use his pistol. For him to be accurate, takes him almost a full 10 seconds to be ready for each follow up shot (took him 3 years to get this point, so he has come to the realization that a pistol for target shooting works, but wants something he can be more reactionary with, hence a shotgun).

Thanks a lot. That's exactly what I thought you meant, but so many ways to interpret it.

I'll have to do some thinking about something that may work because it's an interesting question. I have shot pumps and coach gun shotguns one handed as well as numerous pistol caliber carbines and I would say one of the biggest factors is how it balances. Tons of weight forward makes one handed shooting much tougher imo.

Off the top of my head I wonder if a lightweight bullpup non-shotgun might work. Having the gun on the shoulder might make all the difference. Seems to me the key difference with a bullpup type gun is the weight is more on the back near the shoulder as opposed to a pistol where the weight is way out front away from the body. But not knowing his particular situation it's really one of those "he would have to try it" things cuz it may not work at all for him depending on his situation. It may be that he can't take follow up shots with a bullpup type gun either.

P90 as an example of bullpup option. This is pretty exotic example of course but best fit I can think of to illustrate what I mean.
57A2F03F-9074-4921-AE3A-ADA51FE0421F.jpeg
Ps90 with longer barrel
0C328935-9265-4041-A499-7825789E1527.jpeg
Also the coach gun as mentioned by someone above. You can hold and shoot it one handed but recoil will be very strong trying to shoot it that way imo. Perhaps a 20 gauge with 18.5" barrels and a lighter weight stock if possible.

If you want to hold a 18.5" coach gun let me know cuz I have one on consignment at a local ffl. I don't suggest my gun to buy for him because it's 12 gauge (too much recoil one handed imo) but you can hold it and see if that type of gun might work as far as holding it and if it does you could look for a 20 gauge version.

Another option may be a somewhat light weight gun with fairly lightweight brace. One I really like is a Glock with flux brace. It's kind of one of those things though I think where you would have to try several combinations of pistol + brace and one will feel just right and lots will feel wrong (I would guess anyway). Also the new brace regs are supposed to come out in august so I would only buy after that if thinking about handgun + brace so that you know what he buys will be legal long term. Also same as with bullpup it could be that this kind of option has no benefit for him in making follow up shots. My guess is it will have big benefits but only a guess as I don't know his particular situation. This type of brace keeps gun very close to ur body which might solve the problem (sight acquisition can be an issue due to that actually though).
BCF8729A-8E97-4285-813F-C8160E103463.jpeg

Last Edited:
I'm generally not a laser fan, but I'd suggest a handgun, AR pistol, or PDW with a laser sight on it over a shotgun 10/10. A semi-auto shotgun sounds great in theory but realistically, is best done with two hands. It is limited in capacity, difficult to reload with one hand, and the chances of limp wristing it and causing a malfunction rise exponentially when firing one handed.

If one handed and multiple rounds are critical, with "across-the-room" range being all you need ….
…. Both S/W and Taurus make 410 revolver "shot-hand-guns"
:s0092:

Last Edited:

At self defense distances a person can effectively point shoot without using sights. A visible laser on a pistol seems like the better route if it is desired to have a sighting system other than irons.

Just go look at any video of these birdhead shotguns being fired and it should be obvious to see that someone with effectively only 1 useable arm is not going to have a good day with that thing. He'll probably hurt himself firing it.

A very common theme with "helping others" get a firearm for their self defense use is to want to get them what you want them to have and not more pragmatically approach the situation with what they will be capable of effectively using.

A semi-auto would seem to be ther choice - but it would require substantial familiarization. The TAC-13 is 'about' the most amazing close defense weapon ever. But, you must load it and cycle the op lever to chamber a cartridge or clear a potential stoppage (jam).

I have been on the hunt for one of these for a couple of years now… if'n my man @LuckySG can't track one down, NOBODY can!

E0BF2873-399D-45E2-AEFB-0CEFFD999DF2.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews