JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Would be a NEAT little idea to come up with. Damn would that make a GREAT home defense gun! :D
I remember some years back, I was jazzed about the integrally suppressed Six12. Fed from a removable six-round cylinder with a short OAL. Alas, vapor.

1708917020503.png
Can't help with those things but a good muzzle brake reduces recoil up to 70% and weighs only 3.4 oz.
Roger that.

Can't help with those things but a good muzzle brake reduces recoil up to 70% and weighs only 3.4 oz.
Along with a huge amplification in noise back to the shooter. Any idea what that percentage might be?
I don't think the recoil of my Mossberg is that difficult to deal with and I'd surely not be wearing muffs in a home defense situation.

Along with a huge amplification in noise back to the shooter. Any idea what that percentage might be?
I don't think the recoil of my Mossberg is that difficult to deal with and I'd surely not be wearing muffs in a home defense situation.
Are you saying this from experience with a shotgun muzzle brake or just assuming? I have used 2 different kinds personally on 12 gauge.

I could care less about noise. I wear max db muffs and I don't notice any difference although I'm sure there is an increase but it's not noticeable to me. Shotgun is quite a ways down the list for me to use in HD although it's extremely capable. Shotgun db level is about the same as 9mm. Both are very loud if shot indoors.

Last Edited:
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever made an integrally suppressed, large(ish) capacity, semi-auto scattergun in this country? Seems like it would mitigate noise, flash, and recoil and avoid a huge weight hanging off the end of the barrel. 🤔
Not that I'm aware of, and I looked hard several years ago.

I'd love to get an integral suppressed duck/upland shotgun so my dog doesn't go deaf by the time he's 6.

Good question. I have one shotgun in the battery (a 12-ga) and had one in the past (a 10-ga) that was Pro-Ported (Magna-Port's shotgun service) and they are/were loud.

This is why the damn law of suppressors is so damn stupid. They should be sold with no tax so more shooters will want to use one.
Indeed.

This is why the damn law of suppressors is so damn stupid. They should be sold with no tax so more shooters will want to use one.
It's a strange juxtaposition where the only country on the planet has a "right to keep and bear arms" while European countries with no such right, yet they encourage and in some places mandate hunters use suppressors, where we put draconian restrictions on them.

There's even some states where suppressor ownership is legal, but hunting with them is not.

Strange land and time we occupy.

Are you saying this from experience with a shotgun muzzle brake or just assuming? I have used 2 different kinds personally on 12 gauge.

I could care less about noise. I wear max db muffs and I don't notice any difference although I'm sure there is an increase but it's not noticeable to me. Shotgun is quite a ways down the list for me to use in HD although it's extremely capable. Shotgun db level is about the same as 9mm. Both are very loud if shot indoors.
I've used guns with brakes on them and I've never been a fan. I bought one shotgun that has ported chokes. Yes, it's softer shooting, but it's also noticeably louder, even when wearing muffs. So, yes I have experience.
You may not care about the noise, but others will.

I've used guns with brakes on them and I've never been a fan. I bought one shotgun that has ported chokes. Yes, it's softer shooting, but it's also noticeably louder, even when wearing muffs. So, yes I have experience.
You may not care about the noise, but others will.
I'd rather have 70% reduction even if there is a slight increase in noise (again I don't notice any with the brakes I have). That recoil reduction makes a huge difference in staying on target and how fast you can get rounds on target. I have measured several times and I'm at 295-305ish rounds per minute with all shots on target. That's the same rate of fire as the AA-12 fully automatic shotgun. It makes a huge difference. Who cares about any small noise increases when it reduces recoil 70%. If you are that noise sensitive perhaps you should abandon non suppressed guns for HD because the same amount of noise is in the room or house, whether it has a muzzle brake or not.

Last Edited:
I'd rather have 70% reduction even if there is a slight increase in noise (again I don't notice any with the brakes I have). That recoil reduction makes a huge difference in staying on target and how fast you can get rounds on target. I have measured several times and I'm at 295-305ish rounds per minute with all shots on target. That's the same rate of fire as the AA-12 fully automatic shotgun. It makes a huge difference. Who cares about any small noise increases when it reduces recoil 70%.
I already said, "I care". And 70% seems like a big number.

I've been meaning to try swapping the furniture from my A400 to my 1301 Comp, but never got around to it. You've just re-inspired me to try again. I'll report back with the results.

Edit; I just realized the pictures you posted are of Mossbergs. My findings will be useless to you.

I would try the usual suspects first for sourcing: Brownells, Gunpartscorp & Mossberg.
So, being a lazy bubblegum and not wanting to disassemble 2 shotguns on a wild curiosity, I emailed Beretta instead to see what they had to say.

I got this response:

Dear Lazy bubblegum Shotgunner,

Thank you for contacting Beretta. The A400 wood stock & forend is not compatible with the 1301 comp. They will not line up. I hope this helps.

Velvet
Beretta Customer service
Gallatin TN

Well, I got a response from Mossberg. The stock sets are compatible between the two 940 variants, but they will not sell me a set. Why? No idea.

I think I'm going to backburner this project for the time being anyway. Have other project(s) cooking.

One wacky idea that has crossed my mind in the past was:

• Remington TAC13.*
  • eForm 1.
  • Wood furniture.
  • Done.
1709873202500.png

But concerned about modern Remingtons, so ...

Well, I got a response from Mossberg. The stock sets are compatible between the two 940 variants, but they will not sell me a set. Why? No idea.

I think I'm going to backburner this project for the time being anyway. Have other project(s) cooking.
Hmmm ... according to Boyds Stocks, they have Walnut for both stock and forend for the 940. Obviously not Mossberg, but would serve the same purpose. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top