JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just figure those are rare occurences. I don't know anyone who's murdered another human being, I don't even really know friends of friends who have murdered people, it's actually usually through hearsay and a very very loose affiliation that I might have with some killer or violent felon. I went off the statistical probability that most mentally ill people aren't violent anyways and he probably would fit that category, firearm or not.

The news does make a huge story out of the mentally ill that are violent towards people and criminally insane, the man I would not say is criminally insane though (Actually the way I worded the OP, it sounded like he planned on carrying out a robbery which was not the case, albeit it was still a deluded idea to think he would carry a gun in hopes of confronting a store robber) , and you don't hear about the hundreds of thousands of mentally ill who never shoot anyone even if they do have access to a firearm just because that doesn't make news and the media glorifies body counts in shootings. Most people who are mentally ill, just off themselves anyways if they abuse their firearm as opposed to a murder-suicide or mass shooting.

These things have a way of sorting themselves out in the end anyways.

The 2nd amendment allows people, who are not fit for the military, or the police, to acquire firearms, including the mentally ill. We can argue that it's an abuse of what the 2nd amendment was intended for, actually it probably is not what it was meant for, but I didn't know he would all of a sudden become obsessed with his gun that he treats like its a toy or an extension of power since now has an object that is effective at ending lives.

I use my gun for entertainment, plinking beer cans and target practice. To be honest, for the most part my gun is a safe queen, the thought of using it to end another human beings life never crosses my mind even if the possibility is there. Thought thats what he would use his for as well. Just because I can stow away a gun in my glove compartment and ride around with it under Missouri law, I don't do it simply because I figure its a low probability I'd ever find myself in a situation where I required a gun unless I was purposefully going out of my way, looking for trouble.

As opposed to coming down hard on me which has been done plenty in this thread, the cat is out of the bag ok, what constructive criticism can anyone offer, to improve the situation?

If you ever saw that movie 300, I would classify him as that guy with the hunchback in the film, completely unfit to serve in a military or police unit and protect other human beings, while his intentions are good.

Also he's been on a heavy use of prescription medications ever since I met him which was 7 years ago. He didn't just become diagnosed with depression yesterday where he would be at the highest risk, and he's pretty punctual on taking his meds.

But yes, with me being the 27 year old and him the 34 year old, I am definitely the more mature one between us both. I have no background with dealing with mentally ill people, the media definitely teaches us to fear them though.

The only people who would have any say in keeping him away from guns would be someone much closer to him, like his mom, or perhaps his psychiatrist if he told him/her in a session that he intended on carrying out a murder.

edit: Actually one of my internet friends served in an infantry unit for the Canadian Army over in Afghanistan, high probability he killed at least one human being, he's definitely seen some close friends get killed as he struggled through PTSD for several years even after he was discharged, and serves as a paramedic/firefighter for his job. That guy tells me some MESSED up stories, but he's at least got a good head on his shoulders.

Freelancing can be quite lucrative.. and then there's the chicks, if you know how to "operate", if you know what I mean.

10549388385657_doofy27rz.png

"His mom clearly trusts him with a firearm, and she probably knows him 100x better than me, since she allowed him to inherit his step dad's Beretta Model"

do you suppose the sandyhook shooters mom trusted him with firearms? just a thought

"That man as far as I know, would make a much better gun owner because he is not violent in any way shape or form and is very level headed mentally despite irresponsible actions behind the wheel, while this guy is allowed to own a gun, but because he doesn't have any arrests (he has arrests) for violent misdemeanors or felonies but has a questionable mental health state."

This sentence gave me a headache.

Throw some periods, man!

^^I was just going over the last 3 recent pages thinking the exact same thing.^^

Jimmy, you screwed up in a couple ways here. First, you "introduced" someone to firearms that you say is heavily medicated and already consider unstable. Second, you came on a public forum and asked if anyone else thought that might be a problem. I don't have the background to give any legal advice so I'll just say this -- I hope your "friend" isn't ever involved in any "incidents" whether they are related to firearms or not. You may want to start choosing your friends more wisely.

I would sit your friend down, all jokes aside, and tell him while looking into his eyes: Some of the things you say really bother me. Guns are dangerous and are not a joke. You need to get that Hollywood mentality out of your head and understand that guns are tools for protection, not vigilantism. Please don't make me regret taking you to the range.

I really appreciate this thread and am sorry for those that are calling Jimmy out as a troll. The situation isn't at all hard to imagine. It's helping me get some insight into what I was originally thinking as a solely social clusterbubblegum. I wrote off a good shooting buddy the other week when he started acting like a dipbubblegum, now I'm remembering him talking about how well his new meds were working over the holidays here. Hrm.

constructive input watch the f out.you pulled the pin, only option now throw it.cant take his gun away, if you know his family they might be able to do something.everybody on heres riding ya because if you even went out with him knowing all this it shows super poor judgment on your part.

Jimmy. I believe you are the friend you speak of.
And from the comments you have made in past posts, I wouldn't save you, if you were drowning in a river.
Dbag

You hit the nail on the head OH5. I'd piss in that river to make it deeper and intensify the current.

As an investigator in the 80's I knew more than a few brand new patrolmen who felt a sudden sense of empowerment once they were trained and armed. Probably took it to the john with them, did mirror drills, etc... "Are you talking to me?"

They tended to normalize after awhile, especially with ongoing training and a sense of mission supported by knowledge of actual laws, probable cause, protocol, specific assignments, training in de-escalation, and smarter, more experienced senior partners... You know - little things like that. And I'd trust any of them with my life.

OP, taking it upon yourself to equip a f__wit with a weapon when you are ill-equipped to gauge character, heed obvious warnings and provide smart guidance, is irresponsible. You and the "friend" (that weird*ss stranger in your mirror) are a complex trainwreck involving mental illness that countless multiple layers of added gun control laws cannot begin to adequately address.

Sort of proves a point to rational players. Hence the fact that flaming libs cannot begin to grasp it.

Wow. This thread is still active? I honestly figured a Mod would have deleted it by now. Quite honestly it bothers me to log in and still see this nonsense in the New Posts category. Of course, I just bumped it to the top of the list. Maybe it really is all of us and the OP is the only sane one here?

:D

This is what's wrong with the gun culture. Someone asks for help for a serious situation that he/she takes responsibility for and the majority tell the person to go stuff themselves. I'm gonna make an *** of myself and assume this is a generational or age thing. How good of a judge of character are your children? I'm glad that you raised your sons and daughters better than this, but these are today's problems. Real friend's are in short supply in an age where social interactions are defined by tweets, facebook likes, and random internet posts. If you have time to even read these forums, you live a luxurious life-style. You choose to live your life how you want and are in no way responsible for this random stranger on the internet, but I don't support the eliteism that would shush someone coming to the forum looking for help when the majority of new posts over the last weeks are an overwhelming influx of uninteresting, reposted, asinine conspiracy theories and people bubbleguming about the panic buying. It looks like ignorant bullying is what I'm saying. We don't need that here.

This is what's wrong with the gun culture. Someone asks for help for a serious situation that he/she takes responsibility for and the majority tell the person to go stuff themselves. I'm gonna make an *** of myself and assume this is a generational or age thing. How good of a judge of character are your children? I'm glad that you raised your sons and daughters better than this, but these are today's problems. Real friend's are in short supply in an age where social interactions are defined by tweets, facebook likes, and random internet posts. If you have time to even read these forums, you live a luxurious life-style. You choose to live your life how you want and are in no way responsible for this random stranger on the internet, but I don't support the eliteism that would shush someone coming to the forum looking for help when the majority of new posts over the last weeks are an overwhelming influx of uninteresting, reposted, asinine conspiracy theories and people bubbleguming about the panic buying. It looks like ignorant bullying is what I'm saying. We don't need that here.

I think that some of Jimmy's past posts play into this so people assume he's just trying to antagonize. Some earlier ones have been lightening rods.

im here to judge...

first you say in your title- "now he thinks he's some freelance police officer"

then you say-"But he's already talking about using his gun in store robberies and stuff, possibly bringing it with him to bars where he's gotten in fights"

and then you say-"He idolizes Richard Kuklinsky which was a mob hitman who killed over 100 people"

and a few post down you say- "the guy has no empathy for people and can be very guilt free even if his actions do undue harm onto another individual. I suspect he might have a form of autism."

And now I say.. How in the hell do you call this guy a freelance police officer? I call him a wannabe criminal idiot, timebomb with a gun, plain and simple. Dont be a dumbass. The country is reeling in pain from mentally challenged people geting hold of guns and killing innocents and you plop one in the guys hand? Teach him how to shoot? Screw you, screw him. Its idiots like you and him that are making it harder and harder for us law abiding citizens without mental problems to keep our rights. This guy has mass murderer written all over his punk *** face. God, your post makes me sick.

You teach a known mental patient how to shoot? Then come on here admitting hes got an itchy trigger finger and doesnt care who he shoots? The worlds just getting stupider and stupider every day. Figure it out dude. Get the gun outta his hands, honestly. Tell his pshchiatrist whats up. Do something man. Dont continue to be an idiot.

All I can say is thank god you clowns arent up here in Portland. I dont have to worry about your friend taking out anybody I know and love.

Right on!!!!!

Jimmy, If any of this is in fact true then you spoke volumes about how you were his DD so he could get drunk and harass gas station clerks. It sounds like this guy is a bully and has intimidated you into being his beeotch and you, lacking any backbone or intestinal fortitude (and probably friends also) see him as your only friend so he feeds off you and you continue to enable his actions by giving in to his every whim. I'll bet you run his errands, buy him alcohol and probably do almost anything he tells you. You need to take a serious look at your life, your relationships and consider making some huge changes, (some will probably require professional help) before you end up somewhere you do not want to be - or worse.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top