JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just read this whole thread. 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. The OP is an idiot and quite honestly the whole thing sounds like a huge load of steaming ****.

You say no laws are being broken, but didn't you say he lives in Illinois? Does he have an FOID? Because I can't help but think he needs one. And a dis-qualifier are a laundry list of mental issues.

So if he's breaking the law, you have no excuse but to report him. Why would you not?

If carrying changes the way you act/behave (confronting or escalating when you normally wouldn't), you probably shouldnt carry.

That's wisdom, but most people susceptible to such a change don't even realize there has been one! Hummmm.........maybe there hasn't been!

Its his mom thats letting him have a gun since it was his step dads. I meant to say the man fantasizes about stopping a store robbery not causing one since he is deluded and thinks a gun can turn him into societies hero. Oh he has cleaned HIS (emphasis on the his because he already had a gun prior to me taking him shooting.) Gun like 4x since he shot it because he is obsessed with it. So far no laws have been broken and unless some new comes out that says people with a mental health history cant own a firearm I doubt there is much that can be done anyways.

Jimmy send me a pm with your contact info.
I’m a firearms instructor. I can help you.

Redcap, you are probably right, and I sure hope you are! This guy must be a Stephen King level author to make himself sound so s----d. It is a real horror story.

This post is a perfect example of how we as "responsible" gun owners can "help"
Gun owners "in need of help" before they hurt themselves or others.
"we" need to be able to recognize "a cry for help".
Using the Adam Lanza "story" as an example of how an Adam Lanza "scenario" could have been stopped.
There many people out there that need help. Some don't know how to ask for it.
After rereading this entire post for the 4 or 5 time. I believe it to be the latter.

Assuming NOMOREBS is a real firearms instructor, I'm gonna contact him. Right now I'm trying to minimize or discourage the mans mentality about firearms. I can't extinguish his behavior like time in the Penn can, however so far the advice I give him has been solid.

I've told him already that unless he truly wants to know the workings of the gun (which he might because he is very interested in mechanical stuff) obsessing over firearms or cleaning them 4x when the gun clearly does not need cleaning, isn't really good for his mental health.

We'll see how it goes, right now he can't even transport the firearm legally in Illinois until he checks in with Law Enforcement and gets a FOID card.

It never ran across my mind that possessing a deadly weapon like a firearm can fundamentally change a person's personality and even make them weirder.

edit: Maybe it's just a newness thing, like he never knew he liked firearms, discovered them and all these useful things people use them for, and eventually it wears off. He likes movies with guns in them, he likes saying a quote from a movie while holding his gun.

On the contrary, this is personal information about the guy, and he would never act this way in front of people in public, just a trusted friend like me.

As far as I can tell though, the man has no violent history whatsoever.

a trusted friend like you? well being your a person who gets a depressed mentally unstable person into guns. thats not saying a whole lot. You have got to be completely stupid.

You took someone shooting that you knew has some mental problems ?? Hello ??? What are you going to do if he goes on to kill people - remark "oh gee I knew he was nuts - but not that bad"

Haven't we already had enough crazy people killing innocent people- giving the anti-gun Nuts more ammo ?? Is that you're plan ? Or are you just stupid ?? You have a responsibility to have the authorities check this guy out and determine if he should be handling firearms.. If you do nothing and the worst happens - then you should be prosecuted for being a dumba$$ and getting a person involved who should not be handling firearms..

And if the rest of you think that is being a snitch- then you are just as dumb as he is..

a trusted friend like you? well being your a person who gets a depressed mentally unstable person into guns. thats not saying a whole lot. You have got to be completely stupid.

Nice constructive criticism there, you are clearly a great problem solver.

Why did I take him shooting? Ok Ill be honest, I only have like 2 close friends and another friend that I every once in a while will see.

No one ever goes shooting with me short of dad, the other friend is a dead beat and never chips in on anything that involves even the smallest amount of money. I felt like going shooting, didn't feel like going by myself, so I thought it would be harmless to let him go shooting. He didn't get kicked out of the range so he didn't raise any alarms amongst people in public, and more experienced gun shooters.

Besides Ive never been told to do a mental evaluation prior to taking someone shooting with you.

Personally I thought it was a more wholesome and fun activity than just drinking a bunch of beers and doing bubblegum on the PC while he was there with smoke breaks every 30 minutes.

His mom clearly trusts him with a firearm, and she probably knows him 100x better than me, since she allowed him to inherit his step dad's Beretta Model 70.

Assuming NOMOREBS is a real firearms instructor, I'm gonna contact him. Right now I'm trying to minimize or discourage the mans mentality about firearms. I can't extinguish his behavior like time in the Penn can, however so far the advice I give him has been solid.

I've told him already that unless he truly wants to know the workings of the gun (which he might because he is very interested in mechanical stuff) obsessing over firearms or cleaning them 4x when the gun clearly does not need cleaning, isn't really good for his mental health.

We'll see how it goes, right now he can't even transport the firearm legally in Illinois until he checks in with Law Enforcement and gets a FOID card.

It never ran across my mind that possessing a deadly weapon like a firearm can fundamentally change a person's personality and even make them weirder.

edit: Maybe it's just a newness thing, like he never knew he liked firearms, discovered them and all these useful things people use them for, and eventually it wears off. He likes movies with guns in them, he likes saying a quote from a movie while holding his gun.

On the contrary, this is personal information about the guy, and he would never act this way in front of people in public, just a trusted friend like me.

As far as I can tell though, the man has no violent history whatsoever.

And here lies the problem.....

Jimmy... You are in St. Louis.. Missouri, and your friend lives in Illinois, so right across the river. Would that happen to be Granite city? because that would explain A LOT.... lol.... but seriously with everything going on in the U.S.A. over firearms, did you not have a little hesitation on taking a friend who has proven himself to be "unstable" shooting?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top