JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I took a friend out shooting some weeks ago, and I guess he might of had too much fun. He inherited a gun from his step father (Beretta Model 70) and now hearing him talk, I'm afraid he thinks hes some kind of freelance police officer that knows the laws. It's almost as if he looks forward to shooting another human being even though I don't think he has ever been in a situation that required it.

The man is a little, off. As far as I know he's heavily medicated for depression, but he's probably got some kind of social disorder because he can be hard to take at some times. But he's already talking about using his gun in store robberies and stuff, possibly bringing it with him to bars where he's gotten in fights in the past, things of that variety.

He's loving guns so much, he's told me he wants to change residences from Illinois to Missouri simply because our gun laws are so much better here, and he wants to conceal carry.

I hope he doesn't do an unlawful shooting, he might be the type to show off his concealed weapon just because he thinks owning a gun is cool.

I look at my gun as a tool, nothing more or less. I think the newness, mall ninjaness and the aura of it being a deadly weapon wore off after 1-2 years for me personally, now I look at guns like its a hammer or a crowbar, albeit funner to use in a lot of ways, but the thought of ending a store robbery or anything doesn't cross my mind. This guy is totally gung ho about being some kind of vigilante that looks forward to a situation that requres use of a firearm. I hope I didn't introduce firearms to the wrong person but I may have. Hopefully he matures and understands that no one should ever look forward to taking another human beings life unless its in a kill or be killed situation.

He idolizes Richard Kuklinsky which was a mob hitman who killed over 100 people, I'm not sure if this is turning out so great.

I suggest you and your friend get proper training on firearm safety, law as it applies to civilian use, concealed carry, etc. Having a firearm without good training may lead to unintended negative consequences. Training is a great way for a new firearm owner to mature in a responsible way. Good training is fun too.

I suggest you see something say something.

He's a mental mess, probably already federally prohibited. I suggest you call the sheriff and tell them you are worried and he's made threats against others.

Then tell your friend your News Alert has been reporting break ins by people dressed as cops.

Things will sort themselves out.

I suggest you see something say something.

He's a mental mess, probably already federally prohibited. I suggest you call the sheriff and tell them you are worried and he's made threats against others.

Then tell your friend your News Alert has been reporting break ins by people dressed as cops.

Things will sort themselves out.

That just ain't right. hahaha

Im hoping his love of firearms wears off, I don't carry my gun on me everyday just because statistically speaking, unless I go out of my way to piss someone off, I don't find myself in situations that require firearms. I live out on the border between the country and the city, but generally violent crime is very low in my area.

Really though I started another thread a couple months ago where I was criticized for asking about getting a man with a felony DWI expunged so he could own guns. That man as far as I know, would make a much better gun owner because he is not violent in any way shape or form and is very level headed mentally despite irresponsible actions behind the wheel, while this guy is allowed to own a gun, but because he doesn't have any arrests (he has arrests) for violent misdemeanors or felonies but has a questionable mental health state.

I think this happens for a lot of new gun owners, some feeling of empowerment with firearms, now they have equal footing or superior footing with much larger, more adverse opponents.

I took a friend out shooting some weeks ago, and I guess he might of had too much fun. He inherited a gun from his step father (Beretta Model 70) and now hearing him talk, I'm afraid he thinks hes some kind of freelance police officer that knows the laws. It's almost as if he looks forward to shooting another human being even though I don't think he has ever been in a situation that required it.

The man is a little, off. As far as I know he's heavily medicated for depression, but he's probably got some kind of social disorder because he can be hard to take at some times. But he's already talking about using his gun in store robberies and stuff, possibly bringing it with him to bars where he's gotten in fights in the past, things of that variety.

He's loving guns so much, he's told me he wants to change residences from Illinois to Missouri simply because our gun laws are so much better here, and he wants to conceal carry.

I hope he doesn't do an unlawful shooting, he might be the type to show off his concealed weapon just because he thinks owning a gun is cool.

I look at my gun as a tool, nothing more or less. I think the newness, mall ninjaness and the aura of it being a deadly weapon wore off after 1-2 years for me personally, now I look at guns like its a hammer or a crowbar, albeit funner to use in a lot of ways, but the thought of ending a store robbery or anything doesn't cross my mind. This guy is totally gung ho about being some kind of vigilante that looks forward to a situation that requres use of a firearm. I hope I didn't introduce firearms to the wrong person but I may have. Hopefully he matures and understands that no one should ever look forward to taking another human beings life unless its in a kill or be killed situation.

He idolizes Richard Kuklinsky which was a mob hitman who killed over 100 people, I'm not sure if this is turning out so great.
And you introduced him to shooting??!!

Should bold that bottom part too. I dunno the man had no hobbies up til now, he was mechanically inclined, Ill give him that much, he loves taking things apart and putting them back together again. I'm trying to focus his love of firearms in a more positive direction, I think if he put his mind to it, he could be a great gun smith.

Currently though I'm trying to make him into being a responsible gun owner, offering him mentoring and correcting him on mispronunciations such as calling a magazine a "clip" and just knowing the different parts of the gun. The one thing I will give him though is I turned a guy who had no opinion of guns into somebody who now loves guns and thinks the laws should be more "lax" from what they had been.

Earlier today he called up the offices of Senator Clair McCaskill and Senator Roy Blunt to let them know that he doesn't want any federal laws infringing on the current gun rights in Missouri. Missouri has very lax gun laws, which I think is awesome. I can take my gun, load a magazine and put it in my glove compartment with no CCW or any permit of any kind required. In his state of Illinois, he needs a FOID card which is basically a permit to own a gun, there are some gun grabbing nazi's in his home state of Illinois.

He now hates the state of Illinois and loves my state of Missouri.

You need to be careful who you take shooting!

In a court of law you could be held liable for any unlawful actions he does. Especially now that you publicly admitted to knowing his very mentally unstable condition.
I am not giving you legal advice.
I had a friend in somewhat of a similar circumstance so I met with his father and made him aware of the situation.
I also told the father he was now responsible for his sons actions.
It all ended well for my friend. That was many years ago. He is now a responsible gun owner and still a good friend.

You really ought to get him into a firearms safety class. A good responsible instructor will instill a different kind of mindset on the matter of firearms. Otherwise, you may want to find out if he's prohibited.

Yea well I talked with him some more, I'm hoping he takes my advice.

Really his psychiatrist would be more responsible than me, but even then laws putting blame on the psychiatrist are pretty wishy washy. This country should be founded on personal responsibility and he is personally responsible for his own actions if he chooses to carry a firearm, not someone who took him to the range one day.

I'm trying to explain to him that guns are only required in pretty rare circumstances and you are not a free-lance police officer simply because you carry one. I went on further to explain that no one should ever look forward to using their firearm, the problem with this is that the guy has no empathy for people and can be very guilt free even if his actions do undue harm onto another individual. I suspect he might have a form of autism.

I'll try to have him look over two different shootings, Bernhard Goetz and George Zimmerman, I feel Bernhard Goetz is a good example of when to use a firearm, while George Zimmerman's use was very questionable and could fall into that "Since I own a gun, I'm a free-lance police officer" mentality.

Ask him to join the Northwest Firearms board. He ought to fit in right good around here.

Hey, seriously, I'm not here to judge. I've had friends go off the deep end too. I used to hunt with a formerly solid guy who got religion in a BIG way. I culled him from the friend herd when I heard him talking about God giving him commands to shoot other hunters. Last I heard of him he made some threats and was arrested/prosecuted. Anyway, bad things are bound to happen every once in awhile.

And you introduced him to shooting??!!

^^^This

I'd question the responsibility of a person who hands a gun to someone he knows is " heavily medicated for depression".

JimmyS1985 said:
Really his psychiatrist would be more responsible than me, but even then laws putting blame on the psychiatrist are pretty wishy washy.

That's like tossing a kid a live hand grenade and then blaming the parents for not intercepting the throw.
You opened this can of worms.

JimmyS1985 said:
This country should be founded on personal responsibility and he is personally responsible for his own actions if he chooses to carry a firearm, not someone who took him to the range one day.

I don't think a facepalm gif exists that could properly convey the amount of BS displayed in just this one sentence.

BTW I meant using his gun against store robbers, not for him robbing a store. Seems pretty far fetched for a customer to walk in at the exact moment a store robbery is taking place, if he worked at a gas station I could understand, otherwise he is just fantasizing being some kind of hero because he had a gun at the exact right time and right place.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top