JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
5.56 is still expensive. Someone mentioned a 7.62x39 upper. Not a bad route to take. A pleasure to shoot and shared ammo. I run 20 rounders on mine. Really haven't shot my AK since.

As for cheap ARs, I think the time reflects the price as much as quality. Right now the rifle and mags are cheap. Next week, who knows.

+1 for Palmetto State Armory.

I would suggest buying the lower first on a separate order. Then it should be listed as an 'other' on the 4473 form. With the lower, you can finish it as a pistol or rifle just make sure you use a brace instead of a stock for pistols. Everything else can be shipped without an FFL.

Reasons for an AR: Ammo is available which lets you shoot more. Parts are available. More accurate than the AK platform. One lower + multiple uppers (calibers).

I just put together two kits...
Using Anderson lowers and pretty much everything from PSA......
I missed specials like blems, holidays, etc, by ONE day each time (just bad luck).
The rifle alone came in at about $550, but heres the deal....ya gotta have other stuff.
So, with lowers, full kits, TRS 25, rear sight, basic sling, basic case(35" carbine in a 36" case, not a goddamned 49" rifle case, grrrr), six P-Mags, 150 rounds of 55 grain fmj, sight in both sights and red dot....about $870 ready to toss in the car for a range trip.
I prolly coulda saved about $40 per if I had caught all the discounts/sales.
I ran sixty rounds through each without issue, however, one fh loosened.

Joe

I've built 3 low budget AR's, 2 pistols 1 rifle and all run like a deer.
Never got hooked on the commie guns, to each their own though.
Who knows if they were under $300 I might actually get one just to have it, like you and $500 AR's.

I don't own any ARs and I don't really see the need for one since I have AKs. But man I see some ARs for sale cheap, like $500. Should I get one of these and throw it in the safe just in case I need it someday? Is a $500 AR any good?
Being in OR I would strongly suggest you read up on IP17 immediately. If it passes in Nov. (which I think it will), it will massively change our ability to buy firearms and pretty much eliminate mags over 10 rounds.

Link is here:

With that in mind I would not hesitate to buy any firearm you think you may want to buy in the future. Buying now vs after IP17 passes is a HUGE difference. In addition I would buy multiple mags for any gun you have or will have right now personally. For ARs I like okay industries surefeed and magpul Pmags the best. Both cost about only about $9 each so buy more than you think you will need.

Myself I have purchased 8 guns since they got enough signatures to put IP17 on the ballot. I think I now have everything I would buy in the future well before any of these IP17 restrictions come out.

Also re AR platform, keep in mind that you can buy a stripped lower for around $50-$90 and because that is the serialized portion that will let you build an AR in the future. Basically this is buying the ability to build an AR in the future after IP17 passes (and thus avoiding the restrictions) for very little cost. Or you can buy a complete lower for more $ which makes it very simple to "build" an AR in the future. Just an option.

Last Edited:
Do what you want with your money, personally I don't buy garbage weapons and yes there is a difference regardless of what some people say/think. I have taken enough armorers courses and carbine classes to know the difference. I'd rather put that $500 toward a decent optic, WML or ammo.

Last Edited:
Also I forgot to mention that in OR as I recall a stripped lower is not identified as a rifle or pistol. So if you were to go the "future proofing" route (ie buyjng the ability to build an AR in the future) you could build it is as a pistol (think less than 16" barrel) or a rifle (16" or longer barrel). Anderson is an example of a budget lower, aero precision is an example of a little higher end lower.

Thanks again guys. Buying just a stripped lower might be a good idea.
My advice to anyone buying bottom tier lowers such as Anderson is to build the lower right away to make certain it is in spec rather than stacking them deep and assuming they will be fine when you go to build them years down the road, that way it can be dealt with right away.

Also I forgot to mention that in OR as I recall a stripped lower is not identified as a rifle or pistol. So if you were to go the "future proofing" route (ie buyjng the ability to build an AR in the future) you could build it is as a pistol (think less than 16" barrel) or a rifle (16" or longer barrel). Anderson is an example of a budget lower, aero precision is an example of a little higher end lower.
Lowers are considered an "other" rather than a "rifle" or a "pistol" and therefore can be built to be either.

I don't own any ARs and I don't really see the need for one since I have AKs. But man I see some ARs for sale cheap, like $500. Should I get one of these and throw it in the safe just in case I need it someday? Is a $500 AR any good?
Buy as many as you can get.......... PM Justin Trudeau will give you $1350 for ea one!!!

If they're in good working order (i.e. "well regulated," in 18-century parlance), then that seems like a good price. Provided you store them well or use them with regularity they'll have a long life.

ARs also probably aren't decreasing in value (any more) in the near future.

Because of the dismal operation and accuracy of my issued M-16's, I had no use for them later as a civilian for decades. But I sure loved my Mini 14's.:s0085:

One day I thought I'd give a modern M-4 a try. The cheapest AR available at the time was a Bushmaster. It gave me fits. Bushmaster took it back, replaced the barrel, and it's never had a failure since, even after thousands of rounds. I also bought a piston AR from Ruger. Also flawless operation and extremely accurate. I know the piston AR is not in the cheap category but it made me realize just maybe the AR's could be dependable and maybe even accurate. I've shot the direct impingement Ruger's also, with flawless operation. And they are relatively cheap.

And very recently I bought a Colt 6920. Not bargain basement priced, but still way under a thousand. And this Colt shoots oh so wonderfully.

So yes, an inexpensive AR does have a place and a purpose.

Last Edited:
I bought a Bear Creek Arsenal side charger AR 15 complete rifle for $350 a few months ago when they had them on sale. With the gritty and long pull trigger, was able to shoot 1-2" groups at 50 yards. I replaced it with a $34 PSA polished nickel trigger and it's much more fun to shoot now. Point is that an inexpensive gun can get more expensive as you start improving it, and believe me, if you want better accuracy, you'll want to make some improvements. I put my first AR together with mostly Aero Precision parts, and the build is a great learning experience and source of satisfaction.

You'll be wanting optics of some sort in the future so keep that in mind as well. Over time, you'll spend a lot more on ammo, accessories, and improvements than you will for the gun itself.

You'll be glad you got started so welcome to our addiction!

I'm really not an AR guy, but I've wondered about the inexpensive ARs for a while because I've had several friends over the years ask me about them. I've heard people rail on them from time to time, how anything under $1k is junk, waste of money, etc.. So I've read up on the subject and watched a number of videos.

My conclusion, as an amateur, is that they are not junk or garbage. By and large they're a pretty good value for the money, and a decent rifle for the average guy who's not an "operator" or serious competitor. My friends who have asked my opinion about them are not the type who will spend $2k on a rifle, so it's a cheap one or nothing. Five hundred bucks they can do, and for the most part the rifle will sit in the closet or gun safe, and get used occasionally for plinking at the range. For them, the cheap AR is plenty "good enough". Sure, the top end guns are better, in nearly every way, but sometimes good enough really is good enough.

If I were a "live by the sword" type, who depended on that rifle for life on a regular basis, then I'd be a lot more interested in shelling out whatever it took for the best. That's not me though; to each their own.

My first AR I bought over 20 years ago. It's a Colt HBAR. I was pretty disappointed in it, accuracy was not what I expected. I fiddled with it off and on for years- replaced the trigger, barrel, free-float hand guard. Now it's consistently very accurate, but not really an HBAR any more, and I lost a lot of interest in ARs so I don't even shoot it much now.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top