JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm probably going with the Savage, it has a lot of stuff I'm looking for. BTW, I initially also looked at CZ, Tikka, Sako and Remington along the way.

When it comes to budget rifles I have direct experience with Weatherby Vanguard, Winchester XPR, Ruger American, and Savage Model 16 stainless. The Winchester and Ruger were under $400, the Weatherby around $450, and the Savage just under $500. Of that bunch, I'm least inclined to the Winchester, although it is accurate enough. The Ruger and Savage are okay. In my experience the Vanguard is best of that group.

Unfortunately, you're a bit late to the party. Without doubt the best budget gun in my experience is the Mauser M-18, which was a $400 gun when purchased new. No longer available at that price (not even close), which is a bummer. The M-18 is far and away the best budget gun I ever bought, and equally far and away the only one I'd purchase again.

1-200 yards pretty much any of those.
Oh, I knew a guy that kept his pig rifle muzzle down in the footwell of his constantly bucking around pickup. The muzzle was all worn down like crazy but the crown proper was deep enough to not be affected. He was dropping pigs easy all the time so it was a shooter even though the whole rifle looked like trash.
A target crown is basically a flat cut with the barest chamfering and would be easily damaged just carrying around.

Thank you @Mono1.

This is the Savage I bought. It seemed like the best value and covered what I was looking for. I could have and would have bought a Tikka and better glass, but I wanted to keep this rifle inexpensive for several reasons.
Here's a link:

I'm on a tight budget, so I'm looking at three basic .308 Win. bolt guns in the cheap price range. I'm looking at rifle and scope combos. The Ruger American, Savage Axis II and the Mossberg Patriot. All have synthetic stocks and come with scopes mounted. All have adjustable triggers.Two have Vortex 3-9 x 40 and the Savage has a Bushnell 4-12 × 40 on it. Cheapest of the bunch is the Savage.
The Mossberg has a fluted bolt and barrel and a target crown. The Savage stock has some kind of camo that I never heard of. So other than a difference of around a hundred bucks, they're very similar.
I hope some of you guys may have some input on them. Thank you in advance.
I like the axis II. Very accurate gun. Is the camo called kryptek? Here is what axis 2 with that camo looks like. I think they have a white version of kryptek also.

FFFC82E7-3055-4404-88B9-DFC8A2310DB4.jpeg
Edit: oops too late I see you bought one. Looks like a great gun and great price!. I have similar setup in 6.5 CM.

Last Edited:
I like Rugers in General. I've owned a bunch of different kinds of them and thought they were all good guns.

That said, I'd probably be looking for a used rifle if I was on a budget. Can probably find someone's older hunting rifle with decent glass and a sling at a reasonable price. Lots and lots of 308s out there.

I'm probably going with the Savage, it has a lot of stuff I'm looking for. BTW, I initially also looked at CZ, Tikka, Sako and Remington along the way.
I had been looking for a budget 308 for a few years. A Savage FCP-SR appeared on the forum last year so I jumped on it. It was unfired and came with a Primary Arms 4-14x scope. The Savage magazine was atrocious so I replaced it with an Accuracy Intl bottom metal. I'll be heading to the range to test it out shortly.

I'm on a tight budget, so I'm looking at three basic .308 Win. bolt guns in the cheap price range. I'm looking at rifle and scope combos. The Ruger American, Savage Axis II and the Mossberg Patriot. All have synthetic stocks and come with scopes mounted. All have adjustable triggers.Two have Vortex 3-9 x 40 and the Savage has a Bushnell 4-12 × 40 on it. Cheapest of the bunch is the Savage.
The Mossberg has a fluted bolt and barrel and a target crown. The Savage stock has some kind of camo that I never heard of. So other than a difference of around a hundred bucks, they're very similar.
I hope some of you guys may have some input on them. Thank you in advance.
This is a pretty good deal and comes with Weaver scope but no adjustable trigger.

This rebate, good thru Nov 15, will save you $40 of Savage Axis or Axis 2 rifle purchase.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews