JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't own any ARs and I don't really see the need for one since I have AKs. But man I see some ARs for sale cheap, like $500. Should I get one of these and throw it in the safe just in case I need it someday? Is a $500 AR any good?

I don't own any ARs and I don't really see the need for one since I have AKs. But man I see some ARs for sale cheap, like $500. Should I get one of these and throw it in the safe just in case I need it someday? Is a $500 AR any good?
Worst case scenario. Buy one and over time swap out the barrel, trigger and BCG. More than likely you'd be fine and it wouldn't hurt to have such a common platform laying around just in case. Haha

Make certain you understand the laws in California regarding AR style rifles so that your purchase is legal. I'd almost worry about an inexpensive AR in California being the cheese in a state owned mouse trap. Make certain nobody tries to sell to you without a background check, either.

Be safe and welcome to the forum!

From 2019 so may not be current: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/california-legal-ar-15/

From a few days ago, but unfamiliar with the source: https://thegunzone.com/what-is-california-legal-ar-15/

$500 ARs shoot just fine. If you don't own one, Id buy one if I was you.

Do some research on it before you buy it, like anything. AR's don't have to be expensive to perform well and be reliable. The term "milspec" just refers to the lowest specification standard required to meet a military contract. If the entire rifle claims all "milspec" components, you would likely have no issues. On more expensive rifles, you pay for higher spec materials, a more labor intense assembly process, some unobtanium and maybe a few magical fairy farts.

It depends on what it is. (what the specs are or brand/model of AR)
Post it here and we'll comment on it.
(you don't have to reveal the seller)

me, if i don't shoot it, why bother getting it. i'm not a fan of safe queens. unused guns belong in a museum.

$500 would pay for a shooting class or a few bricks of ammo or a nice day at the range etc...

Basic thing 2 think here is do you want to add 223/556 to your collection or would you rather have a ar 15 in a different caliber I got tired of makeing just 556s got to 13 of em and decided to switch that's why I started to build others like the 300 blackout 450 bushmaster 3 50 Beowulf 224 Valkyrie they also make 7.62x39 ar s honestly if you are trying to get a cheap one you can build any ar 15 platform for under $500 once you move into ar 10 it's a whole different ball game and price range

I bought an 80% ar carbine kit recently, it had everything I needed to put the rifle together after machining the lower. $418 delivered to my door. runs like a champ!

Might want to buy one or two and some standard capacity magazines while you can in Oregon. Also get some spare parts like gas rings, firing pins, etc. for your BCG and maybe buy a spare BCG as well if you can afford it.

Would I? No, but I've always found ARs (largely) uninteresting. Good idea as a backup? Assuming the quality is "good enough", then maybe so.

Good luck with your project.

Another way to go might be to just buy several lowers.

Then, in the future, you can decide if you want to get into AR's. Or not.

If not, no big loss.

If you do, you'll have more options. Having already transferred several lowers into your possession.

Edit, adding: Palmetto State Armory currently has stripped lowers at $60 each, shipped free to your FFL.

I live in Oregon now. I need to change my profile.
Cool, though it looks like CA gun laws are chasing you up here. Get and mags and guns that are likely to be banned soon. I'd even go long on ammo especially if the November election provides a reason for folks to stop buying all they can get.

The AR in 5.56 will give you options for ammo availability if it comes down to that in the future. You might find that you prefer the ergo's and modularity of the AR platform. heck even the bolt stop on the last round is pretty convenient. If that's the case this inexpensive rifle is basically a gateway drug. If you have a significant other or a youth you might find that it becomes their choice (adjustable stock, all kind of grip choices, very mild round to shoot) and you never get to shoot it again.

As always, any new rifle is just the start of the money drain - does it need an optic? What about BUIS? Ammo, mags, sling, tactical electric pasta fork, etc..

As others have said, give us more info and we be happy to go on for hours giving you our opinions :)

Anyways, good luck and tell us how it works out.

I have a Delton sport - no dust cover or shell deflector. A relatively cheap AR and it seems to shoot just fine - no issues. I would buy another one for a truck gun. I have found even cheap rifles don't stay cheap after adding optics and such.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top