JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love the Ruger American, just not wanting to get another magazine type, so my shop is seeking out a Mossberg MVP Scout for a simple bolt action rifle for myself that can use the same AR10 mags...

I love the Ruger American, just not wanting to get another magazine type, so my shop is seeking out a Mossberg MVP Scout for a simple bolt action rifle for myself that can use the same AR10 mags...
The American Ranch uses AI mags.

I spoke too soon. We have one, but they are no longer shown in the catalog. :confused: All they are showing are the proprietary flush-bottom mags.

They still show it in the burnt bronze, go-wild configuration with AI mags. But this model is not nearly as inexpensive.☹️

Last Edited:
I like the Ruger American Predator. My only gripe is the bolt doesn't lock regardless if the safety is on or not. It's never opened up on me while hunting but I could see that happening at the most inconvenient time.

The American Ranch uses AR10 mags.

I spoke too soon. We have one, but they are no longer shown in the catalog. :confused:
But they do now show it in the burnt bronze, go-wild configuration. But this model is now no longer as inexpensive.☹️

The other reason for the MVP Scout in 308 is the forward picatinny mount, right handed left eye dominant, I find with scout scopes forward mounted I can shoot right handed far easier with a better field of view...

I like the Ruger American Predator. My only gripe is the bolt doesn't lock regardless if the safety is on or not. It's never opened up on me while hunting but I could see that happening at the most inconvenient time.
Hmm, that's a pretty big deal, didn't know about that particular rifle.
On quite a few occasions while hunting elk I'd notice my friend's rifles had yet again, unnoticed by them, littered the trail with ammunition.

On quite a few occasions while hunting elk I'd notice my friend's rifles had yet again, unnoticed by them, littered the trail with ammunition.
Wow. That is... strange. Never in all my years of hunting or being at the range have I seen that phenomenon even once. Very weird. Very peculiar. Littering the trail with ammunition? What the hell are your freinds doing?

Wow. That is... strange. Never in all my years of hunting or being at the range have I seen that phenomenon even once. Very weird. Very peculiar. Littering the trail with ammunition? What the hell are your freinds doing?
Well they weren't wearing red dresses as you seem to allude.
They were, now get this, walking.

All the more reason a locking bolt is important to some people. Especially carrying a slung rifle, bolts do have a way of opening themselves on the trail or in the woods. I don't wear red dresses, but I've seen and experienced bolts opening themselves on multiple occasions.:D

Last Edited:
I really like a three position safety. I used to crawl through the brush and it was an important item. The same type of hunting also formed my dislike of target type scope turrets on a hunting rifle.

I'm on a tight budget, so I'm looking at three basic .308 Win. bolt guns in the cheap price range. I'm looking at rifle and scope combos. The Ruger American, Savage Axis II and the Mossberg Patriot. All have synthetic stocks and come with scopes mounted. All have adjustable triggers.Two have Vortex 3-9 x 40 and the Savage has a Bushnell 4-12 × 40 on it. Cheapest of the bunch is the Savage.
The Mossberg has a fluted bolt and barrel and a target crown. The Savage stock has some kind of camo that I never heard of. So other than a difference of around a hundred bucks, they're very similar.
I hope some of you guys may have some input on them. Thank you in advance.
No cheap 308 anymore. Do you want new or used?

I'm on a tight budget, so I'm looking at three basic .308 Win. bolt guns in the cheap price range. I'm looking at rifle and scope combos. The Ruger American, Savage Axis II and the Mossberg Patriot. All have synthetic stocks and come with scopes mounted. All have adjustable triggers.Two have Vortex 3-9 x 40 and the Savage has a Bushnell 4-12 × 40 on it. Cheapest of the bunch is the Savage.
The Mossberg has a fluted bolt and barrel and a target crown. The Savage stock has some kind of camo that I never heard of. So other than a difference of around a hundred bucks, they're very similar.
Tikka TX3
Ruger Hawkeye compact, great for brush hunting

I ordered a Savage Axis II with a cheapie scope combo. Those are two nice sticks but they exceeded my target price range.

The scope will be gone shortly. As best I can tell it's a Bushnell Banner scope that comes on it. I have an old Leupold with rings I have to dig out that should do the trick. It was on another .308 so it should be fine. I can't remember the specs, but it's a decent scope and was a deer getter.

The scope will be gone shortly. As best I can tell it's a Bushnell Banner scope that comes on it. I have an old Leupold with rings I have to dig out that should do the trick. It was on another .308 so it should be fine. I can't remember the specs, but it's a decent scope and was a deer getter.
I bought my 25-06 without the cheap scope and put on the 3X9-40 Leupold I found at a gun show for $100.00.

Don't forget to check the used market. Some great deals can be found there.

That's what I think as well, even if there was something wrong with the scope I could drive to Beaverton and hand it to somebody to make it right.
I did that with two of them. I picked one up when done, but they shipped the other one back to me no charge.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews