JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
1. Even a Herb and Kurt Mueller custom Sako .221 Fireball has to be reloaded.

2. For "The Pause that Refreshes".

1698627948142.png

1. Even a Herb and Kurt Mueller custom Sako .221 Fireball has to be reloaded.

2. For "The Pause that Refreshes".

View attachment 1751417
Man, I wish I could find even a sparse dog town anywhere. I've taken my boys several years to E astern Oregon for this same purpose and have gotten skunked every time. In six years we've only scratched out three rabbits, prairie dog towns in places that don't cost $500/day/person just don't exist like they did twenty years back. I'm jealous and would gladly drive to Montana for any type of success!

I didn't think we had any prairie dogs in oregon? I've seen alot of them in SD when we travel back to visit family
Ok, ok, ok, I'm ignorant and sometimes lazy-Belding Squirrels are what I'm referring to. They live in the Alfalfa fields, LOL. We could really use some pointers so the boys can get "hooked" on the sport. My youngest went out with a good family friend this weekend for deer just to get out, I feel bad as I've been completely tied up at work for the last two months and really ready for a normal five day work week. I've made progress though, haven't needed the sleeping bags I've had in my truck for almost a whole week now. It sucks being Public Works Superintendent, when sh!t breaks, you don't get a life until it's fixed. Sometimes that means waiting until next budget cycle as taxpayers don't want to spend money on under ground things they use every day but take for granted. The large pay increase was not worth it by any stretch and wish I could go back to being a "worker" but that ship has sailed, I hired my replacement a year ago and he's freaking awesome.

Ok, ok, ok, I'm ignorant and sometimes lazy-Belding Squirrels are what I'm referring to. They live in the Alfalfa fields, LOL. We could really use some pointers so the boys can get "hooked" on the sport. My youngest went out with a good family friend this weekend for deer just to get out, I feel bad as I've been completely tied up at work for the last two months and really ready for a normal five day work week. I've made progress though, haven't needed the sleeping bags I've had in my truck for almost a whole week now. It sucks being Public Works Superintendent, when sh!t breaks, you don't get a life until it's fixed. Sometimes that means waiting until next budget cycle as taxpayers don't want to spend money on under ground things they use every day but take for granted. The large pay increase was not worth it by any stretch and wish I could go back to being a "worker" but that ship has sailed, I hired my replacement a year ago and he's freaking awesome.
Gotcha! Sage rats....I could put you on touch with a guy down by kfalls that would let you shoot some. That's why I'm just stating a "worker" I've been the boss and it's not worth it to me.

Gotcha! Sage rats....I could put you on touch with a guy down by kfalls that would let you shoot some. That's why I'm just stating a "worker" I've been the boss and it's not worth it to me.
Yep, the money was my draw and found out the extra $/hour in the form of salary is working out to be a pay cut. I'd gladly pay or give a nice gift to someone who could point me to a place for my kids to get the their first hunting experience. We are all very well versed in the safety rules and I trust the kids with any of my firearms, they are only locked up because of the liability built into unjust laws. If you have a contact that wouldn't put you in a weird situation I would gladly accept/trade/barter.

Man, I wish I could find even a sparse dog town anywhere. I've taken my boys several years to E astern Oregon for this same purpose and have gotten skunked every time. In six years we've only scratched out three rabbits, prairie dog towns in places that don't cost $500/day/person just don't exist like they did twenty years back. I'm jealous and would gladly drive to Montana for any type of success!
Not like it was 20 years ago?

Lol - people shooting them as fast as they can can pull the trigger will have that affect. They are a prey species and designed to multiply as such, but not even they can keep up with the speed at which they can be taken out.

I didn't think we had any prairie dogs in oregon? I've seen alot of them in SD when we travel back to visit family
I saw a pair of Prairie Dogs last spring on a ranch south of Burns where we shoot sage rats. I didn't think they were in Oregon.

I saw a pair of Prairie Dogs last spring on a ranch south of Burns
I suspect what you saw were most likely rock chucks (yellow-bellied marmots) as they will occasionally stand upright (somewhat) and create the appearance of a prairie dog.

I have head the same from many over my years of varmint hunting in the woods & deserts of Oregon but reality is no prairie dogs in Oregon.

In the Dog Towns of October, it was a year for the "Little Guns". Hawaii-style weather, minus Hawaii (or Montana) wind.

Biggest modern gun was a .223. Fireballs ruled these (and any) days with no wind. .22 WMR shined at its limit.

1699322720452.png
Birthed at the Pfeifer Rifle Co. in 1950, this Bull Gun chambered in .250-3000 was not modern, but served well as the "big gun", impeccably predictable for the long shots.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews