JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Rudy aimed his gun at the bear but his firearm misfired, making his best choice of defense his fists as he did not have any time to get his bear spray from his backpack," the daughter said.

"Rudy aimed his gun at the bear but his firearm misfired, making his best choice of defense his fists as he did not have any time to get his bear spray from his backpack," the daughter said.
Yep, got that much from the article too, but the term misfire could mean multiple things. Was it a cartridge failure like the primer didn't ignite the powder? Was it a firearm malfunction that didn't strike the primer hard enough? Was it a non-fully chambered round so everything would have worked had it been seated fully? Which make/model was it?

Lot's of little details that may have been the difference.

Too bad humans didn't feel the same way about wiping out human predators as they do wiping out nature predators.

It always amazes me when I see judges and jurors give murders less than life in prison for some pretty brutal murders. Someone can flip their lid and stab someone 22 times and it's only 2nd degree or manslaughter and they'll get less than 10 yrs in prison.

A bear or a cougar kills a chicken and it gets hunted down and killed. Too bad that didn't happen with certain human criminals.

None that are as effective at spreading seeds throughout a forest, have you seen grizzly scat? It's pretty impressive.. looks like my freshman dorm after Taco Tuesday only with huckleberries!

In all seriousness, they're important and areas where they were eradicated (ND, for example) suffered and still suffer ill effects. Yes they're scary, and yes some people are killed. I camp, hunt, and hike in grizzly territory almost weekly and am happy to know that they're out there helping the forests we love and want to keep. The day I had to scramble up a tree after finding a grizzly munching on my moose was a bit frightening, but they're just doing their thing.
You haven't convinced me. I'll do my part and camp at Holiday Inn.

Too bad humans didn't feel the same way about wiping out human predators as they do wiping out nature predators.

It always amazes me when I see judges and jurors give murders less than life in prison for some pretty brutal murders. Someone can flip their lid and stab someone 22 times and it's only 2nd degree or manslaughter and they'll get less than 10 yrs in prison.

A bear or a cougar kills a chicken and it gets hunted down and killed. Too bad that didn't happen with certain human criminals.
Amen brother

For reference - the people who hunt down and kill a cougar/bear for being predatory of livestock would happily also hunt down human predators and terminate them as well.

For reference - the people who hunt down and kill a cougar/bear for being predatory of livestock would happily also hunt down human predators and terminate them as well.
Yes....yes we would. I have more respect for wildlife then I do a murderer or a chimo!

Montana friend of mine was in a bar some time back, when Montana was getting ready to shut down Grizzly hunting, and overheard a "granola"- type chick talking about how things now would "balance out", and all that hogwash believed by people that haven't spent much time in the woods.

He worked his way closer to the conversation, and mentioned, "Man! I'd sure like hunt Grizzly some day."

"Why!?' retorted the granola chick. "Why on earth would you want to kill a Grizzly Bear?"

Matter-of-factly he fired back: "I wanna get one before they're all gone."

Montana friend of mine was in a bar some time back, when Montana was getting ready to shut down Grizzly hunting, and overheard a "granola"- type chick talking about how things now would "balance out", and all that hogwash believed by people that haven't spent much time in the woods.

He worked his way closer to the conversation, and mentioned, "Man! I'd sure like hunt Grizzly some day."

"Why!?' retorted the granola chick. "Why on earth would you want to kill a Grizzly Bear?"

Matter-of-factly he fired back: "I wanna get one before they're all gone."
I spend most of my free time in the woods 🤷🏼 and despite the 1991 grizzly hunt ban I've yet to be torn limb from limb. Good to see their numbers back up, we're merely guests on their land after all. Stinks to see rich folks developing in griz territory then complaining about grizzlies/causing them to be relocated due to negligence. Yes, I'm referring to the onslaught of Californians and Oregonians.

I spend most of my free time in the woods 🤷🏼 and despite the 1991 grizzly hunt ban I've yet to be torn limb from limb. Good to see their numbers back up, we're merely guests on their land after all. Stinks to see rich folks developing in griz territory then complaining about grizzlies/causing them to be relocated due to negligence. Yes, I'm referring to the onslaught of Californians and Oregonians.
Yeabut do you even have a jaw?

Sculpted like David, he is.

On the topic of predators (ones that cause me concern), I went out the back patio door tonight due to nature calling and in the yard, not 30 feet away, was in all likelihood a mountain lion (cougar for you west coasters). My second big kitty encounter. Probably was a juvenile that's young, dumb, and full of... angst. They're the ones to avoid and the forest creature that I'd least like to encounter up close by surprise.

1000000903.jpg

There is some doubt, however. Eye reflection color for bears can also be shades of green depending on the animal. Usually reddish orange, though. This critter was slung low and large enough that I'm sure it was a cat, probably coming down to the stream that runs though the yard by the abandoned 1800s railroad berm.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads