JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's not like they're an important part of the ecosystem or anything...
The ecosystem managed to get along just fine without them for a hundred years or so.

Seriously, tho, there are other predators that fill that niche, so maybe not so important after all.

The ecosystem managed to get along just fine without them for a hundred years or so.

Seriously, tho, there are other predators that fill that niche, so maybe not so important after all.
None that are as effective at spreading seeds throughout a forest, have you seen grizzly scat? It's pretty impressive.. looks like my freshman dorm after Taco Tuesday only with huckleberries!

In all seriousness, they're important and areas where they were eradicated (ND, for example) suffered and still suffer ill effects. Yes they're scary, and yes some people are killed. I camp, hunt, and hike in grizzly territory almost weekly and am happy to know that they're out there helping the forests we love and want to keep. The day I had to scramble up a tree after finding a grizzly munching on my moose was a bit frightening, but they're just doing their thing.

Although not attributed to killing a human, the stories of Old Reelfoot in Southern Oregon were legendary. It took the locals 20 years to finally kill him. One of the last great grizzlies in Oregon, it was claimed to be 1892 pounds (probably an exaggeration). This link has a number of stories about the bear told by various people over the years, if anyone was interested:
The Life and Death and Afterlife of Reelfoot

What would those ill effects be?
Biodiversity decreases and bubblegumstorm ensues, snowball effect yada yada. They're a keystone species and protected for good reason. If you don't want to be torn apart by one, avoid their habitat or learn to be bear aware and don't go sneaking around and startling them. Hunters have the highest risk of being torn asunder.

I worry more about predatory black bears... they're the only bear that will actively hunt humans if desperate enough. I've seen the red eyes of a black bear through the mesh of my tent at 3 a.m. and it is truly a terrifying experience. Fortunately he was only interested in my nasty socks sitting outside the door under the rain fly. A firm "hey bear" and he scampered away but not before knocking my makeshift clothesline to the ground.

Biodiversity decreases and bubblegumstorm ensues, snowball effect yada yada. They're a keystone species and protected for good reason. If you don't want to be torn apart by one, avoid their habitat or learn to be bear aware and don't go sneaking around and startling them. Hunters have the highest risk of being torn asunder.

I worry more about predatory black bears... they're the only bear that will actively hunt humans if desperate enough. I've seen the red eyes of a black bear through the mesh of my tent at 3 a.m. and it is truly a terrifying experience. Fortunately he was only interested in my nasty socks sitting outside the door under the rain fly. A firm "hey bear" and he scampered away but not before knocking my makeshift clothesline to the ground.
You just got lucky that THAT bear doesn't eat junk food or you'd have been biodiverse bear skat.

:D ;)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews