JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You have no idea how many people have thanked me privately about cleaning up the system. You say draconian I say equality.
And when I can run into three or four people simply by going to the gun broker who say things like "I am sick of that board and their nazi approach to things" (not my words, an actual quote from a couple days ago) just in every day travels it is clear a problem exists. This does not include the conversations I have had with people from the board that have come into the bar.

The people thanking you are probably not even posting in the classifieds to begin with. As for equality, how is it unequal to allow people freedom to post as they like as long as they only have one ad running for each item. If someone else only checks the board once a week that is their problem. I am sure a lot of people selling one or two items get sick of being pushed several pages back by people with a dozen items running.

I have to be honest here. When I look at guns I only glance the first 2 pages. I can't go through pages and pages. I just want to see whats new and quickly. I hate seeing the same ads everyday on the front page.

Scott

Exactly and if they sharks are allowed free reign they are always on top because they are persistent.

Most of the people are mad simply because they can't keep their ad on the top of page 1.

45's even admitted it above...........

He is the guy that complains about the classifieds because he can't "Shark" the system anymore.

He wants HIS ad at the top of page one and YOUR ad 10 pages deep.

What is soooo important that it needs to be shoved in everyone's face again?

The $10 price drop?

OOOOHHHHH.............Now I'll buy that $900 Mini-14!!!! I'll save $10 by jumping on it now!!!!

And when I can run into three or four people simply by going to the gun broker who say things like "I am sick of that board and their nazi approach to things" (not my words, an actual quote from a couple days ago) just in every day travels it is clear a problem exists. This does not include the conversations I have had with people from the board that have come into the bar.

The people thanking you are probably not even posting in the classifieds to begin with. As for equality, how is it unequal to allow people freedom to post as they like as long as they only have one ad running for each item. If someone else only checks the board once a week that is their problem. I am sure a lot of people selling one or two items get sick of being pushed several pages back by people with a dozen items running.

How about we allow the members to bump their ads at will?

No restriction.

You can bump it every hour or every 10 minutes. Get rid of the bumping rule all-together.

OK PBP I will use your AD's as a example of what could and has happened, you have had roughly 8 separate AD's going in the past week, there are only 20 1st page slots, if you continuously bump your 8 AD's one single member basically owns half of page one.

Is that fair to the other 4500 members?

OK PBP I will use your AD's as a example of what could and has happened, you have had roughly 8 separate AD's going in the past week, there are only 20 1st page slots, if you continuously bump your 8 AD's one single member basically owns half of page one.

Is that fair to the other 4500 members?
Only if I bump each ad daily and no one else bumps theirs. You seem to forget that my ad has no special power to stay on top. it moves down as soon as someone else bumps theirs. If I bumped my ad hourly I am not going to sell my product. People will get ticked off. If I bumped my ad hourly moderators could say something. if I added a new post saying "check out my lowered price" two days after posting moderators have no reason to be involved and members do not get offended. It is called discretion. Kind of like how all people should not be denied guns because some people abuse them. The people that abuse them should be dealt with individually. So much of the discussion and phrasing being used to defend the current suystem sound so similar to the arguments used by the Brady Campaign to defend restricting gun rights..."Some people are bad, so all people should be controlled."

the "new" postings are highlighted/bold at the classified page, when a member views this item, it is dropped to non bold text... then we know what we have looked at. If a member has 8 items for sale, he has just the same rights as the guy with one thing for sale. If a guy puts same 8 items on the same post 8 times, It is an issue.

anyway you look at it when there are atleast 8 threads all running about the same problem and how it should be changed... Its time to look at the issue

Only if I bump each ad daily and no one else bumps theirs. You seem to forget that my ad has no special power to stay on top. it moves down as soon as someone else bumps theirs. If I bumped my ad hourly I am not going to sell my product. People will get ticked off. If I bumped my ad hourly moderators could say something. if I added a new post saying "check out my lowered price" two days after posting moderators have no reason to be involved and members do not get offended. It is called discretion. Kind of like how all people should not be denied guns because some people abuse them. The people that abuse them should be dealt with individually. So much of the discussion and phrasing being used to defend the current suystem sound so similar to the arguments used by the Brady Campaign to defend restricting gun rights..."Some people are bad, so all people should be controlled."

You are making up arbitrary timelines. The bump rule id for 7 days. Yes, that is arbitrary also.
You say 2. Where did you calculate that number from?

How about 1 day, 1 hour, or no restriction?

Will the members get mad if you bump every hour?
Will they get mad if you bump daily?

Right now the only people mad are the ones that cant keep their ad on page 1.

I also pm'ed physicsguy 2 times about getting some business cards for me to hand out, also with no reply or response... I even posted that I had pm'ed and he replyed saying sorry, but still no pm reply! here

I still have your PM, you wanted 20 cards, I'm still waiting on some larger envelopes since the standard ones don't work for that amount of cards. We've been trying to find an efficient way to send cards, since one stamp only covers one ounce of mail, which is only 10 cards, so it adds up quickly at $0.44 per pop. If you're ever at a show that we are at, you are more than welcome to stop by our table and grab some cards, since that is definitely a cost saver.

Also, there are lots of other forums that allow you to bump as much as you want in the classifieds. If this dumb rule was lifted It might get "crazy" for the first week, but then things would work out. I just cant belive I got a infraction for posting 6 days later to update my add. Not a warning or anything, just an infraction. Is this that big of a deal?

All of the major firearm forums that I visit have bump rules, some vary in length, and all are strictly enforced. Other forums do not even tolerate this kind of discussion, which is why you don't see people complaining about rules on other forums.

I've managed to get infractions on other forums myself for missing a posting rule, but I don't blame the rules, I realize that I made a mistake, and remember it the next time I post there. People here have to remember that even though this place is open to the public, you are on someone else's website, and you must be respectful of this.

You are making up arbitrary timelines. The bump rule id for 7 days. Yes, that is arbitrary also.
You say 2. Where did you calculate that number from?

How about 1 day, 1 hour, or no restriction?

Will the members get mad if you bump every hour?
Will they get mad if you bump daily?

Right now the only people mad are the ones that cant keep their ad on page 1.

One day is fine as long as the post is relevant. Why should there be a limit as to when someone can add a post to their thread?

And who is getting mad if people bump ads? Is it other people selling things? Then they need to bump their ads. They do not need to make laws making others behave how they think they should behave.

I remember earlier someone saying some of the different forums Dont have the bump rule. They have a Icon for a new daily post? Am I correct? Just asking, how do other forums solve this problem.

I remember earlier someone saying some of the different forums Dont have the bump rule. They have a Icon for a new daily post? Am I correct? Just asking, how do other forums solve this problem.

The vast majority of forums do not have these rules. Especially not ones with successful classified sections. Most collectors board tag ads as "New" or color them red for 24 hours. After that the ads are plain text. Then they deal with people who act badly on a one on one basis.

The fact is the system only effects the people who have gotten out of hand. The vast majority of users are having no problems with the system as it stands now. In a perfect world the honor system would work great, but it has already proven not to work here that's why we have these rules and why new mods have been brought on to deal with the abuse, because it wasn't working!

So lets hear PBP's rules for Classifieds since you to know what to do. List them out numerically.

And just so you know I offered up your name 2 weeks ago as new mod just because I wanted you to see what really goes on. :p

The vast majority of forums do not have these rules. Especially not ones with successful classified sections. Most collectors board tag ads as "New" or color them red for 24 hours. After that the ads are plain text. Then they deal with people who act badly on a one on one basis.

I am not in charge of changes to rules but I would personally like to view these forums and there classifieds/rules can you provide links.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top