JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hunting in Oregon... Having lived there up until the last three years the best advice I can give you is buy a cougar tag and fill it. Buy as many as you can, and fill 'em.

never hunted cougar. what do you do with it?
Anyone hunted mule deer around the deschutes river area?
I have goose decoys, and to many calls, but do not know a good place to hunt around beaverton? use to hunt in Utah.(not use to the cacklers)

I have goose decoys, and to many calls, but do not know a good place to hunt around beaverton? use to hunt in Utah.(not use to the cacklers)
Well there are a few things you can do with a cougar, but since this is a family friendly kinda place I won't go into details.

They are edible. The best reason to hunt them is that for every one that you kill you've likely saved the lives of 30+ deer/year!

What part of the Deschutes? The lodgepole country down south of Bend or the open country at the north end of the river?

Last Edited:
1705517876169.png

Aloha, Mark

30, Wow that is a lot of deer saved. I will look into the tag cost. dogs of no dogs to hunt them successfully?
I was thinking the below Maupin area down to Macks canyon. up one of those canyons with BLM land. Was fly fishing last year and saw four large rams on the side hills. but I would like to try for deer. I would think they are there. I would set my 30.06 up for longer shooting if they are there. I just have not seen a buck yet , but I am not scouting and there that often. Would Hornady 150sp work well. I usually use 165 gr. or maybe Barnes 150gr TTSX.
thanks for all the info.

cougar tastes like pork...with zero fat. just looked that up. sounds good. also looked up:Connolly (1949) reported that an adult cougar killed 1 deer every 9.7 days during winter. Predation rates on bighorn sheep and mule deer by females with kittens averaged 1 animal every 3-8 days (Harrison 1990). Beier et al. (1995) estimated that each cougar kills about 48 large mammals and 58 small mammals per year.

30, Wow that is a lot of deer saved. I will look into the tag cost. dogs of no dogs to hunt them successfully?
I was thinking the below Maupin area down to Macks canyon. up one of those canyons with BLM land. Was fly fishing last year and saw four large rams on the side hills. but I would like to try for deer. I would think they are there. I would set my 30.06 up for longer shooting if they are there. I just have not seen a buck yet , but I am not scouting and there that often. Would Hornady 150sp work well. I usually use 165 gr. or maybe Barnes 150gr TTSX.
thanks for all the info.
I suggest using dogs... wipe then out, all of them! Just don't get caught 😉

I lived in Moro when I was a kid (10-14) and have done some hunting in the area you're talking about and similar country. There's a lot of open country down there so learn to spot and stalk. Close the gap and get clean shots.
There's some great, or used to be anyway, some great steelhead fishing on the lower Deschutes.

I lived in Moro when I was a kid (10-14) and have done some hunting in the area you're talking about and similar country. There's a lot of open country down there so learn to spot and stalk. Close the gap and get clean shots.
There's some great, or used to be anyway, some great steelhead fishing on the lower Deschutes.
Thanks, I think I will give it a try on the steelhead this year.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups in Oregon and Washington. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top