JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1710515951381.png

Aloha, Mark

my dad worked at the hospital
That was probably the "new" multi-story hospital that was built on "The Hill" after my time there. When I was in the hospital at Fort Ord in 1969, it was still the old, wooden WW2 era hospital, dozens and dozens of single story wards connected by miles of covered walkways. Many of the large, training establishment army posts during the Vietnam era still had WW2 era hospitals like that. Some still in use, as at Fort Ord. When I was at Fort Huachuca, AZ, they were using their WW2 hospital for storage and training rooms. At Fort Leonard Wood, the WW2 hospital was being used as a stockade annex for violent and disturbed offenders. They've all been torn down now.

For whatever reason, it was not uncommon for outbreaks of meningitis to occur in those rambling, old WW2 era barracks and hospitals. I saw it happen at Fort Leonard Wood; it really caused a freak-out. All sorts of health precautions were put in action, sort of like the recent Covid era.

That was probably the "new" multi-story hospital that was built on "The Hill" after my time there. When I was in the hospital at Fort Ord in 1969, it was still the old, wooden WW2 era hospital, dozens and dozens of single story wards connected by miles of covered walkways. Many of the large, training establishment army posts during the Vietnam era still had WW2 era hospitals like that. Some still in use, as at Fort Ord. When I was at Fort Huachuca, AZ, they were using their WW2 hospital for storage and training rooms. At Fort Leonard Wood, the WW2 hospital was being used as a stockade annex for violent and disturbed offenders. They've all been torn down now.

For whatever reason, it was not uncommon for outbreaks of meningitis to occur in those rambling, old WW2 era barracks and hospitals. I saw it happen at Fort Leonard Wood; it really caused a freak-out. All sorts of health precautions were put in action, sort of like the recent Covid era.
Yup; that's where he was at. Even since the base closed in 1995; they turned in into a DOD building. I still drive by FT ord to get to Monterey from time to time and unfortunately; there's not too much left of the former Ft Ord.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top