JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am the same way. I am not pressured to sell my stuff. I simply list things and when they sel lI buy something else. pretty much like you do.

If people are going to complain either way, why would we choose to go the route of restrictions and infringement? Why would we not chose the route of freedom and communal policing? If people are going to complain either way I would rather have them complaining that some people are out of hand and not that the board as a whole is too restrictive...especially when we are a forum that is dedicated to protecting personal freedoms. It is kind of counter to our mission. Do as I say and not as I do kind of stuff.

Because there used to be no restriction, and it was abused, so a restriction was added. Before this "automated" bump prevention system, we relied on a communal reporting, but it became very time consuming when there were 20-30 violations per day, and they weren't always by the same people, there are plenty of new people that just didn't know any better. But with an automated system, it cuts the staff time down dramatically, all we have to do is watch for people trying to take advantage of the system. And this place still relies on "communal policing" to report bad posts, but as far as policing the classified system the way it was, it just didn't work.

Also with the current method, we aren't forced to give out a ton of warnings/infractions per day, because honestly, I doubt any of the moderators actually like giving them out.

Who is this "majority" and how does anyone know they are happy? Is it a true majority or just a very loud few? Do they even make use of the classifieds? Last time I looked it is a very small percentage of the members that ever even post there.

Don't people often make the argument that removing firearms from the population makes the majority of people feel much safer? Some things are not about simple majority.
True

You can find flaws with ANY plan though.

I answered some of your questions in previous posts

Because there used to be no restriction, and it was abused, so a restriction was added. Before this "automated" bump prevention system, we relied on a communal reporting, but it became very time consuming when there were 20-30 violations per day, and they weren't always by the same people, there are plenty of new people that just didn't know any better. But with an automated system, it cuts the staff time down dramatically, all we have to do is watch for people trying to take advantage of the system. And this place still relies on "communal policing" to report bad posts, but as far as policing the classified system the way it was, it just didn't work.

Also with the current method, we aren't forced to give out a ton of warnings/infractions per day, because honestly, I doubt any of the moderators actually like giving them out.
I seriously doubt there are 20-30 people violating basic manners each day since there are not even 20 new ads each day. If their were no set rules to be broken then there would be no mundane infractions to hand out. Mods would only need to step in during extreme cases...which would be rare. Plus, isn't that part of being a mod?

Once again, this is the same type of rational used by the anti-gunners. That is my problem with this whole thing. I could care less about actually getting ads seen. I have no problem selling my stuff. I am not selling beanie babies. I sell top notch stuff and can wait for the right buyer. I just have a problem with the whole mindset that allows people to think this type of restrictive behavior is okay in some circumstances but not in others without seeing the hypocrisy.

I seriously doubt there are 20-30 people violating basic manners each day since there are not even 20 new ads each day. If their were no set rules to be broken then there would be no mundane infractions to hand out. Mods would only need to step in during extreme cases...which would be rare. Plus, isn't that part of being a mod?
We wold have to work our behind off explaining to all the other members why its fair that Page 1 is full of ads from 3 guys all the time.

I can say with a 100% guarantee that you can take to the bank! Physicsguys numbers are correct that is 20 to 30 violation per day everyday!

Once again, this is the same type of rational used by the anti-gunners. That is my problem with this whole thing. I could care less about actually getting ads seen. I have no problem selling my stuff. I am not selling beanie babies. I sell top notch stuff and can wait for the right buyer. I just have a problem with the whole mindset that allows people to think this type of restrictive behavior is okay in some circumstances but not in others without seeing the hypocrisy.

C'mon...........really?

What about rape? Why restrict my right to have sex?

Are you going to set ALL of lifes rules now?

Is any behavior restricted at your restaurant?

How about if I go in to Mother Maybels when it's crowed and demand you take my order first, and cook my order first, and serve my order first, ahead of 50 other people that were all there before me?

I'm dying to hear the answer to that!

Well I went back and looked, and it looks like during mid November, we averaged around 10 bump warning/infractions per day, plus 5 or so other classified related ones, also there was probably the same amount of bumps that went unnoticed by the staff. So around 20 bump violations per day makes sense.

But I ask you, what rights are we rilling restricting? We as a society must live by rules, without them leads to chaos.

I just don't see what the big deal is I guess, either way an ad will most likely end up on page 10 or whatever, the question is would you rather have it end up there in one week, or one day? Plus I know there are plenty of members who go back and look at older ads, if I'm really looking for something I will look. And I still get PMs from people asking if I still have a gun that sold 6 months ago or whatever (they just didnt understand the closing system).

Is any behavior restricted at your restaurant?

How about if I go in to Mother Maybels when it's crowed and demand you take my order first, and cook my order first, and serve my order first, ahead of 50 other people that were all there before me?
Yes, basic manners are observed...and I deal with situations on a one on one basis. I do not tell one person he cannot do something simply because someone else complains. They actually have to be causing harm. Then I deal with them. I do not make blanket rules that restrict everyone's actions based on a few whiners. I do not allow myself to become Stalin-esque in my approach and justify it to myself by saying I am just doing it to appease the masses.

Yes, basic manners are observed...and I deal with situations on a one on one basis. I do not tell one person he cannot do something simply because someone else complains. They actually have to be causing harm.

Bingo!

Basic manners are rules! When basic manners (rules) are not observed you deal with them (infractions).

So I submit that your rules are no different in practice than our rules! And you are looking very hypocritical in my eyes!

Wasn't it you that told me the other day at your place that you made a kid with an offensive shirt that entered your restaurant to remove it or leave?

That is a rule and a penalty, it's no different here.

Bingo!

Basic manners are rules! When basic manners (rules) are not observed you deal with them (infractions).

So I submit that your rules are no different in practice than our rules! And you are looking very hypocritical in my eyes!

Wasn't it you that told me the other day at your place that you made a kid with an offensive shirt that entered your restaurant to remove it or leave?

That is a rule and a penalty, it's no different here.
No, you are not dealing with individuals. You are making blanket restrictions that effect everyone. You are removing the opportunities of everyone to prevent the actions of a few.

So everyone is welcome to open carry in Mother Maybels?

We are actually restricting the few and making it easier on the many.
No, because the city of Portland does not allow it and it would do actual harm to my business. Losing my insurance would be the least of it. It is not a decision made to protect the masses. It is a decision made to protect myself from actual harm. These two things are not comparable either. The position of this forum is so indefensible that people are having to make absurd correlations to justify them. Do you not see that? Does no one see the hypocrisy from a forum dedicated to defending the 2A and fighting gun restrictions? And having a few sheep follow along as say "I'm okay with it because it does not affect me" does not justify the principle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top