JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's scary that people feel safe in some of these plate carriers I see for sale. There's like a 4" margin of vulnerability around the whole thing, and the shoulders aren't safe.
56546_134_primeplatecarrier_2012aim_01_2.jpg

Has anyone tried doing 3 gun in a soft vs hard vest? I'm honestly curious how much movement is restricted by hard plate.

Either way I'll probably end up getting something soft. I'd really appreciate a recommendation for something that really keeps the gaps closed and the shoulders safe. I'm pretty sure it needs to at least cover down to the belly button. If you know anything experimental out there, I wouldn't mind taking a look. Especially anything that gives the armpits and inner thighs better protection than usual.

George Bush left the country recently. If anyone donates money, please seriously reconsider. If this pisses you off, please actually consider talking with me about it.

To get the "best" coverage you will almost certainly need to get one fitted to you. Many Police Departments pay for this for their Officers. It is of course FAR more expensive. If you don't want to pay this go to anyplace that sells soft armor and you can try on the different sizes since they are fairly standardized. As with all things like this some are lucky in that "off the rack" fits well. Others not so much All soft is adjustable to a limited extent by moving the straps around to get the best fit. It's going to all come down to how much you wish to pay.

If you are that worried about catching a stray while doing three gun I would say just don't do three gun. From what I understand, those types of matches are ridiculously safe, safer than shooting at a public range with the public.

Years ago I did some competing while wearing armor, specifically rifle plates. Not three gun, but similar. If you ever played football, wearing armor doesn't feel drastically different from wearing football gear. It slows you down compared to running without it, but in a manageable way.

If you wanted to move the fastest, unencumbered, you wouldn't want to wear it. If you prefer to have a layer of protection and don't care about being slowed down at least a little by it, then there you go.

Last Edited:
I believe this is body armor
Ya know that body armor is basically meant to help cover your vital organs, right?
Body armor is meant to protect you from bullets. Some body armor covers a lot more than vital organs. The body armor that you're feeling insecure about at the top of the page covers much less. I'm quite certain you could literally hit his heart with a straight-on shot.

Last Edited:
Selecting body armor requires you to decide what is most important to you. Its best to recognize that body armor isn't like God Mode on DOOM.

Any body armor will have vulnerable areas and you might decide other factors are more valuable to you. Factors to think about are coverage, mobility, protection level, intended environment, and weight.

Selecting body armor requires you to decide what is most important to you. Its best to recognize that body armor isn't like God Mode on DOOM.

Any body armor will have vulnerable areas and you might decide other factors are more valuable to you. Factors to think about are coverage, mobility, protection level, intended environment, and weight.
I have been wearing soft for a couple decades now. Often have had to "try" to explain to others that the stuff does not turn you into superman with bullets bouncing off. It gives you a better shot at surviving being shot than you had with nothing. Most soft of course leave parts unprotected as the idea is to make something comfortable enough to get people to wear it all day while working. I have been REAL happy with the last vest I bought from Safe Life on your recommendation. Often wear it for over 12 hours at a stretch and it is still comfortable. Have not been shot thankfully. Have been hit and kicked a few times with it and could not even feel it when they tagged me. For the cost they are impressive, best vest I have had to date. As with everything soft armor is all about trade offs.

About every cop killed on duty is wearing body armor. While there are plenty of cops saved by body armor it still isn't 100% protection and they use the best armor they can find.

In reality, the bad guy has to have pretty good aim to hit the armor anywhere that will save you!
Who do I tell if I think a LEO is delusion and dangerous the public? I know this guy with a strange affinity for antagonism. All he ever wanted to be was an annoyance and people's enemy.

Last Edited:
It's scary that people feel safe in some of these plate carriers I see for sale. There's like a 4" margin of vulnerability around the whole thing, and the shoulders aren't safe.
View attachment 1091003

Has anyone tried doing 3 gun in a soft vs hard vest? I'm honestly curious how much movement is restricted by hard plate.

Either way I'll probably end up getting something soft. I'd really appreciate a recommendation for something that really keeps the gaps closed and the shoulders safe. I'm pretty sure it needs to at least cover down to the belly button. If you know anything experimental out there, I wouldn't mind taking a look. Especially anything that gives the armpits and inner thighs better protection than usual.

George Bush left the country recently. If anyone donates money, please seriously reconsider. If this pisses you off, please actually consider talking with me about it.
Plates carriers are intended to cover the vital organs not to turtle up. Proper placement is also key, many people I see wearing plates too low.

Not seeing what that has to with body armor but OK.
You must have the person I responded to on ignore so you can't see what I was responding to. This is what he asked:

"Who do I tell if I think a LEO is delusion and dangerous the public? I know this guy with a strange affinity for antagonism. All he ever wanted to be was an annoyance and people's enemy."

I have to guess he is trolling but, figured what the hell. Just in case he really wanted an answer. Has noting to do with Soft Armor but threads here often "drift". I was responding to an LEO here about how I liked the vest he recommended to me a good while back. Thought "maybe" this was why the guy came up with his question but who knows. It is the net after all :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top