JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I had the tools, skills and gonads to try it I would build a double rifle in a classic dangerous game caliber. Not much need for such calibers for most NA game, but I think it would be a fantastic project and test of ones skills.

Another rifle that I find interesting is a rising block single shot. You don't really see these out there.

X2 for a double.
Not even a question for me. IMHO this is the pinnacle of craftsmanship, art and tradition in the shooting world.
h_h_royal_35802_action.jpg

A "Mini" Sharps in .30-30 or .22LR would be a fun build project.
I know at one time , rifles and actions of both of these were imported ...not sure if they still are.
Andy

^^^

THIS!

Mind reader!

I will take mine in 22lr or 22wmr.

And I want to pick out the black walnut wood for the stock too.

Cate

I agree that a falling block design in a rifle or a break open type of shotgun would be easier to make in my 'mind'.

My late husband would have been able to do this sort of thing and I would have finished the wood on the stock.

(I think of our past house building and other things being built and finished like a craftsman who took his or her time to do it right from the gitgo!)

Cate

Last Edited:
This would be easy to make:

The old Stevens Favorite single shot rifle comes to mind too.

(Original or Made by Savage Arms.)

I had one made by Savage Arms bought NIB and it was NOT the old, original one made a LONG time ago. I believe that Savage stopped making 'The Favorite' several years ago too. I could be wrong or they may have brought them back. Beats me now.

I will be dipped on the exact model number now without looking it up. The wood stock was fine, it was a nice rifle, but it was not super beautiful like the 2 CT Marlin Golden 39A rifles, other CT Marlins, Browning BL 22, Winchester 94-22, other Wins and some very SPECIFIC Henry rifles. The wood stock was not as nice as on some of our CZ bolt action rifles either.

Cate

I'd like a 16" barrelled Marlin 1894 in .327 Fed Mag, with a slim forestock...

Another idea I've knocked around without being able to get anyone interested, is to use the technology of the old Dan Wesson revolver barrels in (for example) a single shot rifle. The barrel and shroud would be easily removable (could even use a DW barrel tool). Near the muzzle, the barrel would be vented into the shroud, to cut down the report. The shroud should be large enough to serve as the fore end, with maybe a vestigial wood fore end to finish up the front of the action. The barrel twist should have the effect of tightening up the barrel nut, rather than loosening it, upon firing; but I have to say I don't know if what works in a Dan Wesson revolver would work as well with the high pressures normal with rifles.

I've also wondered about doing this in a bolt gun. In that case the shroud would be glued into the fore arm of a wooden stock; but the barrelled action would still be removable. There would never be any bedding problems because there wouldn't be any bedding.

I had one made by Savage Arms bought NIB and it was NOT the old, original one made a LONG time ago. I believe that Savage stopped making 'The Favorite' several years ago too. I could be wrong or they may have brought them back. Beats me now.

I will be dipped on the exact model number now without looking it up. The wood stock was fine, it was a nice rifle, but it was not super beautiful like the 2 CT Marlin Golden 39A rifles, other CT Marlins, Browning BL 22, Winchester 94-22, other Wins and some very SPECIFIC Henry rifles. The wood stock was not as nice as on some of our CZ bolt action rifles either.

Cate
I bought one of the new versions. Had fun with it and taught my step-son how to shoot and handle firearms with it. Don't remember what it got traded away on, but it had outlived it's purpose at this house. If it was an old one, it likely would have stayed.

I bought one of the new versions. Had fun with it and taught my step-son how to shoot and handle firearms with it. Don't remember what it got traded away on, but it had outlived it's purpose at this house. If it was an old one, it likely would have stayed.

Hello,

Cool story about your step-son learning to shoot! You are a good man and a good example to him.

If it was an old Stevens... it would have been worth quite a bit of money from what I gather. There was quite a bit of interest in that 'Favorite' rifle.

I knew a man on a long gone forum who wanted that rifle when he heard that I was going to sell it. He was from the middle of the country (Iowa or WI? CRS now!) and into single shot rifles.

My FFL dealer up by Ronan, MT (Closed now due to retirement.) shipped the rifle to his FFL dealer. He was very happy with the rifle and most likely still has it. I only knew him as a poster and a nice man online. I never met him or shot with him as I have with some other people from the 90's and on.

The other 2 Savage Arms RASCAL single shot rifles in black composite were donated to our rifle range. We wanted kids, teens, Newbies in any age group, elderly, handicapped people, etc. to be able to USE THEM and learn how to shoot safely.

I REALLY LIKE shooting single shot rifles or only shooting a rifle - slowly and one shot at a time too. With that said, I still like other types of shooting too! LOL

I had a theory about shooting single shot rifles in the past and I still do now. I told my late husband and my MT husband about it. It has to do with using, selling and/or gifting arms in war time (Stateside and overseas.) but I can't TALK about it here due to the nature of it... politics. Ooopppsss. Grin.

Take care.

Cate

Cate

First gun I ever shot was this Stevens M1915, Favorite. I've been working on the stuff I got from my dad's / g-pa's estate and kind of rediscovered it yesterday.

I've got some CB's and shorts to give it a go this afternoon.

favorite.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads