JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm no lawyer, but....If a person really wanted legally admissible evidence of ownership, this is what I'd do.

I'd line 'em up and take a picture or two of them, with a recent newspaper headline visible in the picture. Make three or four copies of the pictures, then mail them separately to yourself and don't open them when they arrive. If you have to 'prove' ownership, you have a postmarked letter with a dated photo inside. Take a sealed one to court and let the judge open it for himself.

When I was in the music business, we used to do the "poor man's copyright" - mailing a cassette of a song or two to yourself, and leaving it sealed if it ever became necessary to litigate who wrote the song.

I'm not going to kiss anyone's a@$ over this, but being proactive and protecting your property and your freedom seems reasonable.

I'm no lawyer, but....If a person really wanted legally admissible evidence of ownership, this is what I'd do.

I'd line 'em up and take a picture or two of them, with a recent newspaper headline visible in the picture. Make three or four copies of the pictures, then mail them separately to yourself and don't open them when they arrive. If you have to 'prove' ownership, you have a postmarked letter with a dated photo inside. Take a sealed one to court and let the judge open it for himself.

When I was in the music business, we used to do the "poor man's copyright" - mailing a cassette of a song or two to yourself, and leaving it sealed if it ever became necessary to litigate who wrote the song.

I'm not going to kiss anyone's a@$ over this, but being proactive and protecting your property and your freedom seems reasonalegibleust mail several unsealed pictures to yourself.

Take pictures when you need them. Use real film if you so choose.

Heck, go ahead and engrave them all for the picture too.

Seal whatever pictures in your posted envelopes. Throw in the negatives. As needs be.

Be mindful to send yourself a chunk of unsealed envelopes, as more than not letters don't get postmarked legibly.

Take pictures when you need them. Use real film if you so choose.

Heck, go ahead and engrave them all for the picture too.

Seal whatever pictures in your posted envelopes. Throw in the negatives. As needs be.

Be mindful to send yourself a chunk of unsealed envelopes, as more than not letters don't get postmarked legibly.
Someone can take a few pictures, print them out, and mail themselves some envelopes that can go in the safe for almost nothing. No one will know, no risk of someone seeing them. A sealed, postmarked letter with dated pics in it seems like pretty solid evidence. Doesn't seem an unreasonable path, if someone is inclined to document ownership.

....or do absolutely nothing and hope for the best..??

Any photo uploaded to the cloud or social media will have a time stamp and every time, if it's altered or changed it changes the stamp. I don't think we have the ability to change that stamp.

Any photo uploaded to the cloud or social media will have a time stamp and every time, if it's altered or changed it changes the stamp. I don't think we have the ability to change that stamp.
There are time stamps on any file, but those are easily manipulated.

The EXIF data in some digital photos might or might not get removed by an image manipulation app - such as Windows Paint or Photoshop.

Personally, I am not going to bother. Most of my mags (but not all) have receipts because I bought them online.

I am not worried about this - as I have said all of this before, several times.

There are time stamps on any file, but those are easily manipulated.

The EXIF data in some digital photos might or might not get removed by an image manipulation app - such as Windows Paint or Photoshop.

Personally, I am not going to bother. Most of my mags (but not all) have receipts because I bought them online.

I am not worried about this - as I have said all of this before, several times.
You would have w to get onto the sever to modify time stamps correct?

Them/they/Karen's can all eat my sack.
You need this bumper sticker... ;)

Coexist_Eat a dick.jpg

You would have w to get onto the sever to modify time stamps correct?
The file time stamp itself?

It depends on the server's process - i.e., does it timestamp the file with the time/date the file was copied to the server or does it preserve the timestamp from the source (e.g., your computer)? And yes, if you could get to the server file system (have admin access to it), you could maybe change the time stamp.

For the EXIF data, again, it depends on the process. E.G., when you post an image to NWFA, or hotlink it, I believe the NWFA makes a copy of the image and creates a new file - my bet is when it does that, it does not preserve the EXIF data or the original file timestamp. I've seen these things go both ways. I think photos.google.com preserves the EXIF data and the file timestamp - I haven't checked that, but from the date it shows, I believe this is the case when I upload files there from my smartphone.

How does the date on a picture prove that the magazines in your possession were purchased prior to December 8th?

🍿
Picture of mags in my garage in the same containers they find them in.... with a digital time stamp and posted to a website. Idk about you if that doesn't work they have it out for us and we're all going to jail.

It's not the date you pruchased them, it is the date they were in your possession within Orgyun.

EXIF data often includes date and GPS coordinates if the photo device has a GPS - most smartphones include both.
And that proves the magazines in your possession after December 8th are the same magazines you took a picture of how?

Picture of mags in my garage in the same containers they find them in.... with a digital time stamp and posted to a website. Idk about you if that doesn't work they have it out for us and we're all going to jail.
Ummm...if "they" are in our garage to "check" our magazines? Is that the concern?

Because if it is, folks REALLY need to think thru things...

And that proves the magazines in your possession after December 8th are the same magazines you took a picture of how?
It doesn't.

But if there are ten mags of the same type/appearance in your possession before & after 12/8/22, then by preponderance of the evidence (more likely than not), the state then has to prove they are different mags than the ones in the photo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top