JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This is correct hence my title of the thread. I was specific when I said 'A' permit and not 'YOUR' permit.

If You Are Caught CCing WITHOUT A permit.....

I am seeing lately a lot of what appears to be either INTENTIONAL attempts to change, shift or cause thread 'drift' , OR some simply do not carefully read the original post and misinterpret it, thereby causing drift as well.
Been of vacation with the kids so I did not read all the replies yet.

I don't know about what happens if you get caught carrying a concealed weapon without a permit.

But I know what can happen around here if you get a Concealed Pistol License (what it's called in Wash.) and they later find out you have a felony conviction on your record. A good friend of mine got in a beef years ago with a guy who owed him money. The guy came over and threatened my pal, who told him to leave his apartment. The guy wouldn't leave, so my pal drew a gun on him to force him out. The guy went to the local police department and claimed my pal had assaulted him, which resulted in his arrest. My pal got a lawyer to represent him in court. At some point, the lawyer advised my pal to plead to a lesser offense. The lawyer did not tell my pal the lesser offense was a felony. This was circa 1974.

My pal got a CPL somewhere along the line, no mention was made of his plead-out conviction. About 30 years went by, I guess the method of background checks changed, somehow. Renewal time came along and he went to the Mountlake Terrace Police Dept. to renew his CPL which resulted in a denial. His current CPL hadn't yet expired. A few days after his visit to the police dept., the chief of police came to his house, disparaged him for lying years ago to obtain a CPL, and confiscated his permit. My pal claims he was unaware that he had been convicted of a felony.

So I guess they sometimes check on these things.

What happens ?

Confiscation? Citation or arrest?
I think that in some states a person would be in more trouble than in other states.

I am NOT positive about your state (Oregon.) and I just know that OR and WA did NOT honor MT's conceal carry permits years ago.

Plus in some states, you can carry concealed in specific areas of the state OUTSIDE of some city limits. You could legally DO this in MT when I moved out west PLUS you could carry a LOADED GUN in your vehicle with NO special permit UNLIKE many other states where you would be BREAKING THE LAW.

Breaking the law = Ammo and Guns HAD TO BE KEPT APART totally to be LEGAL and NOT LOADED as an example to you in some states. LOADED MAGS = A NO NO.
Especially the LAST remaining TOP 7 NO CCW STATES in the late 90's to 2002 or so BEFORE those CARRY laws were changed IN SOME STATES.

YOU COULD LEGALLY OPEN CARRY IN MY FORMER STATE, one of those last remaining top 7 anti ccw states, but you could NOT, NOT and not conceal carry since you would be in deep do do - dung with city, county and rural LE folks.

THAT went for having a LOADED GUN in your vehicle ON or OFF OF YOUR BODY EVEN IF IT WAS 'OPEN CARRY' IN A VEHICLE.

SO OPEN CARRY and conceal carry INSIDE OF A CAR/TRUCK WAS A BIG NO NO.

PLUS YOUR GUN AND AMMO HAD TO BE KEPT IN A TRUNK OR FAR AWAY if you had NO trunk - away FROM YOUR DRIVER'S SEAT - UP FRONT AND NOTHING COULD BE LOADED - PERIOD!

ADD in the laws that have recently been changed when it comes to conceal/open carry in many states - they have been changed AND some online websites and some BOOKS about gun laws in various states across this nation have NOT been updated.

Laws have changed in MT recently but some GUN laws stayed the same when it came to guns - carry issues.

KNIVES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN UNDER MT PERMIT LAWS JUST LIKE GUNS HAVE IN THIS STATE OF MONTANA. OPEN CARRY WAS NO PROBLEM.

BUT IF YOUR KNIFE HAD A BLADE OVER SO MANY INCHES - YOU COULD NOT CARRY IT CONCEALED UNLESS YOU HAD A 'PERMIT' WHETHER IT WAS A FOLDING KNIFE/POCKET KNIFE OR A FIXED BLADE KNIFE.

SO THE WEAPONS LAWS = KNIVES AND GUNS. PLUS WHAT TYPE OF KNIFE IT WAS, ETC. THIS IS WHAT IT WAS WHEN I FIRST MOVED OUT HERE.

WEAPONS WERE WEAPONS - CONCEALED OR OPEN CARRY at the time.

When I built this house about 10 years ago and when we officially MOVED into it, my husband immediately changed his MT DL with the new address and his CCW - back east words in my former state (HERE in MT - they called it a Concealed Weapons Permit.). There was a TIME LIMIT for the DL and CWP CHANGES so that you would NOT GET INTO TROUBLE.

IT stated CLEARLY on his CWP and on some OTHER FORM at the Sheriff's Department that IF HE CARRIED A GUN CONCEALED that he absolutely MUST have HIS CWP - permit ON HIS BODY because it was AGAINST THE LAW to conceal carry a gun with NO permit on his body. Period! I was down there with him twice in the past at the SD when he renewed.

I do NOT remember what THEY (LE and others.) would do to him since he NEVER broke that law but it was AGAINST THE LAW! Especially WITHIN CITY LIMITS and in a few other places. THIS WAS YEARS AGO.

PLUS if you did NOT have a conceal carry permit at ALL in this state of MT or a CONCEAL CARRY PERMIT with ANY OTHER STATE at the time, meaning ZERO PERMIT, you could NOT carry a gun concealed in VERY specific places and within some city limits IN this state. This was years ago.

(SOME city leaders tried to make stricter laws for conceal and OPEN carry a few years ago too. ALL across MT - some tried it since I moved here. PLUS SOME MAYORS are in the Bloomberg anti gun groups especially the one for MAYORS!)

https://mayors.everytown.org/

I think that MONTANA did HONOR some other states at the time but MY former state had NO - ZERO CCW at the time when I moved here. (I did NOT move here for gun rights when I retired and after my late husband died.)

Conceal Carry and Open Carry Laws are much different or were different than where I used to live even 20 years ago.

Example of a news story in another state:

A man had a couple of guns in HIS CAR and one of them was loaded. This was in another Great Lakes state. He had NO GUN on HIS BODY, NONE concealed or open carried ON HIS BODY, but one was on a seat and one was in the door pocket if my memory is right on the news story.

He got stopped for a MINOR traffic stop. The police, sheriff's department or highway patrol SAW his guns and ASKED HIM if he had a conceal carry permit for them. He told them that he did not - Constitution - RKBA and so forth.

They ARRESTED HIM for having a LOADED GUN in his car and for having LOADED MAGAZINES by the other gun but the mags were NOT inside of the handgun. So two guns for sure. One loaded and one unloaded.

I do NOT know what happened because when I kept on looking - I could NOT find a follow up story. Plus the governor IN THAT STATE said that he might sign a Constitutional Carry law but some NEWS (LOL) stories said that HE DID SIGN IT and some said that he had NOT signed it yet too. NO actual facts when it comes to some news. LOL When they arrested the MAN - the governor had NOT signed jack squat!

They TOOK the man's guns and arrested him. I have NO clue what happened to the MAN or his guns. He did NOT have them ON HIS BODY but immediately - the LE folks ASKED HIM IF HE HAD A PERMIT. Uh huh.

This is the latest which is an OLD one for MT but it is still on the DOJ website.

MT permits were/are for 4 years. ONLY 4 years if my memory is correct.

My husband still wants to get one even though we have Constitutional Carry now.

Governor Gianforte Signs Constitutional Carry Bill Into Law

Governor's Office
  • February 19 2021
HELENA, Mont. – Governor Greg Gianforte today signed House Bill 102 into law. The new law protects Montanans' Second Amendment rights and promotes public safety.

"Every law-abiding Montanan should be able to defend themselves and their loved ones. That's why today, I'm signing H.B. 102 into law," Governor Greg Gianforte said before signing the bill.

MORE on the link.

I think that if you can STILL get a MT permit - it is faster for you to get a new firearm from your FFL dealer after you fill out your ATF Form 4473.

Although, his always went through FAST with NICS in the past BEFORE you could ever get a MT permit many years ago!

MINE ALWAYS WENT THROUGH FAST even with the NICS CHECK after filling out my FORM 4473. They had NO ccw where I used to live but it was always a matter of LESS THAN 5 MINUTES for a call and even LESS than that for my late husband with his military and top secret clearance.

I think that my husband's permit expires this summer because I have a NOTE ABOUT IT and it is on the refrigerator and ON a calendar as reminders.

Many states dropped Montana when it came to honoring their conceal weapon permits. That IS old news and not always kept up to date.

RVT, I did understand your original question but I wanted to share with you what has gone on here and what I read in the news recently in a Great Lakes state with the one man with NO PERMIT at all and NO gun on HIS BODY but they were INSIDE OF HIS CAR.

So what happens in the state of OREGON if you conceal carry with NO conceal permit or have a LOADED gun in your truck/car with NO conceal permit?

Do you get thrown in jail, get fined, lose your gun or guns, etc.?

Cate

Last Edited:
I don't mean to sound heartless, but CC'ing... without a permit... and drunk off your patootie?? That's wrong on so many different levels that getting off with only 1 year of suspended privileges was nothing more than a wrist slap.

I appreciate a good stiff drink myself, but carrying (permit or not) while intoxicated is gravely irresponsible, IMHO.
I was shocked, and agree.
It also makes for a good story.
The consequences fit the crime of carrying without a license, "obtain license by court order".
However, i feel that the gun being carried was unloaded may have had something to do with the benign response.

In Oregon its a class A misdemeanor... (the most serious misdemeanor, 1 step below a felony), punishable by a maximum of 364 days in jail and $6250 fine.

My guess is you get arrested, gun confiscated... and you become an anti gun statistic as another "illegal" gun on the street.
Do you have a DOJ link for OREGON that shows this?

Will you please put it up?

Does this INCLUDE having loaded guns INSIDE OF YOUR VEHICLE and NOT carried concealed or open ON YOUR BODY INSIDE OF YOUR VEHICLE?

Is OREGON the one state that does NOT ALLOW loaded firearms even if you OPEN CARRY or is that ONLY IN PORTLAND and in some other cities in Oregon?

Thank you ahead of time.

Cate

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR