JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You guys got it easy, I have had snow since November 18th and it's still coming down. I would guess we have had 9 feet of it since then. It melts a little and then snows some more! I have about a foot or so packed really hard in the drive way, and the road out to the main road is plowed to about 4 or 6 in of solid ice! The main roads and highways are plowed and sanded good, so it's not a problem getting around!

Careful there Brutus. I was heading to San Diego 2-3 decades ago and Siskiyou Pass was closed. It still looked okay in southern Oregon so I got off at Ashland and "detoured" around the OSP roadblock south of there. At 15-30 mph, my Cherokee handled it just fine, but it was seriously deep and icy up on the pass. Dozens of miles of parallel parked double semi rigs along both shoulders. And zero cars anywhere - eerie as hell at midnight.

Point is, it looked great at the bottom of the hill and not so good at the top. Completely unrecognizable though I've made that trip 30+ times. Just following vague half-buried tracks, I've often wondered where I was in relation to the actual lanes on the highway. I was really glad to see the humps of guardrails and those orange poles sticking up.

I know you won't go on two wheels if it's like that. What kind of scoot are you getting?

A 2003 Honda VTX1800R has only 55K on it and my buddy is giving me a killer deal on it. I got 136,000 out of my current 2002 1800R but I don't have a garage right now to rebuild it.

I am pretty careful when it comes to bad weather. I have ridden in some real crap, about a dozen times from Olympic Rain Forest 30-40MPH rain storms, to Wyoming purple branch lightning thunderstorms to hail to snow storm on N bound I-5 in 2008. Most of those, I had no choice, this one, I put in a couple of days slush time if I have to detour to the coast.

Hopefully the weather forecast will hold.

Brutus Out

A 2003 Honda VTX1800R has only 55K on it and my buddy is giving me a killer deal on it. I got 136,000 out of my current 2002 1800R but I don't have a garage right now to rebuild it.

I am pretty careful when it comes to bad weather. I have ridden in some real crap, about a dozen times from Olympic Rain Forest 30-40MPH rain storms, to Wyoming purple branch lightning thunderstorms to hail to snow storm on N bound I-5 in 2008. Most of those, I had no choice, this one, I put in a couple of days slush time if I have to detour to the coast.

Brutus Out

Good luck with that, Brutus! Take good care! :)

Congrats on the new bike!

I think besides just too damned cold, my worst motorcycle trips were in the 70's when I'd get off work at the Oregonian on Friday eves and shoot down to Salem to see ZZ Top or Wishbone Ash or somebody play at the Armory. Pitch black, sheets of driving rain, wind, trucks plowing through standing water on the freeway, etc. Stuff I'd never do now, but it just didn't occur to me not to when I was a teen and that was my only ride.

We can only hope our kids and grandkids are lucky enough to survive all the things we would advise them not to try.

Congrats on the new bike!

I think besides just too damned cold, my worst motorcycle trips were in the 70's when I'd get off work at the Oregonian on Friday eves and shoot down to Salem to see ZZ Top or Wishbone Ash or somebody play at the Armory. Pitch black, sheets of driving rain, wind, trucks plowing through standing water on the freeway, etc. Stuff I'd never do now, but it just didn't occur to me not to when I was a teen and that was my only ride.

We can only hope our kids and grandkids are lucky enough to survive all the things we would advise them not to try.

Yeah, a few too many times riding the scoot has turned from fun in to survival, but some years I have put 30,000 miles on my bikes and with more than 200,000 in 16-17 years, well, sometimes the weather just is....:(
That being said, few things surpass 135 MPH in the Montana desert on an 800 lb cruiser.:D

Brutus Out

Last Edited:

Brutus Out
Safe travels amigo, prayers and blessing for your journey!

Lucky me I work tomorrow (I RARELY work Sundays). We will have the game on, and my Forester is ALWAYS ready for action.

IMG_2260.JPG

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads