JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stupidity knows no bounds. I suspect another Biden voter was rescued from their own Darwinian impulses.

There is one very interesting thing to note:
  1. He used a phone to access a GPS mapping program which provided directions.
  2. The media did not indicate which brand of phone, or which mapping software.

Good he survived but...

Too many people depend solely on technology. We see it all the time, last minute lane changes to exit, people stopping sideways in a road to make a turn into a business nearly causing a wreck.

Know the route, know the conditions and for gods sake when driving in bad weather, keep food and clothing with you.

Even in the valley I always make sure there are extra clothes and or a blanket in the car when it's cold out. Never know when you may need it or you may stumble on somebody in need.

I was thinking, what a dum bass. His mistakes were not relating to the fact those little roads winding up and around all the high, forested elevation would/could be an issue. And failing to recognize the point of no return and limitations of his vehicle. Other than that he did pretty darned good I'd say. We've certainly seen much worse.

IF THE MAIN ROAD WAS CLOSED FROM SNOW WHY IN THE FLIP WOULD HE TAKE A ROAD LESS TRAVELED ??? HE'S AS STUPID AS THE GUY WHO PUT LIQUID SOAP IN THE 40 CAL. HOLLOW POINTS...

Around here Oregon State Troopers will close I-84 when it's nuking cold winds and ice in the Columbia River Gorge, and if you need to go east, say to Idaho, simply crossing the bridge into Washington and taking the windy 2 lane state highway 14 will get you to eastern washington where you can cross over again. You can see the closed freeway on the other side of the river and you are driving the same conditions only a much worse road. It's a common thing. The big trucks will stay put until the freeway opens again, sometimes days later, but a 4 x 4 especially one with studded tires it's a piece of cake to make the journey.

To answer the OPs question- the answer is yes. Both my and my wife's vehicles are set up with a large hiking backpack in each, each backpack loaded with the proper equipment/supplies to last 2 people a minimum of 3 days. This includes food/water/shelter/first aid/trauma supplies.

Having said that, I agree with the earlier poster, that you should be thinking far enough ahead to not get yourself into a situation where you would need said supplies. Have never had to use them, however I will say the packs gave us great piece of mind when the wildfires hit this summer- we were able in seconds to grab the one pack out of my car, move it to her truck with the other pack, and instantly be mobile with enough supplies and food for at least a week. Gave great piece of mind during a highly stressful situation. I HIGHLY recommend everyone do this. If you do a search on this forum, I did a little after action writeup on our wildfire evacuation expereinces and what we learned, and the bags were a key element of what went well.

Around here Oregon State Troopers will close I-84 when it's nuking cold winds and ice in the Columbia River Gorge, and if you need to go east, say to Idaho, simply crossing the bridge into Washington and taking the windy 2 lane state highway 14 will get you to eastern washington where you can cross over again. You can see the closed freeway on the other side of the river and you are driving the same conditions only a much worse road. It's a common thing. The big trucks will stay put until the freeway opens again, sometimes days later, but a 4 x 4 especially one with studded tires it's a piece of cake to make the journey.

I googled up the routes dude took. MY common sense would have told me, turn around and go home or sit and wait till the 80 opened up. His route was not comparable to 84 and 14. :s0002:

As long as I have fuel of be fine since if dig myself out and turn around. Especially if I'm in the truck. I can air up or air down to float out dig depending on the snow. I've got the tools to dig myself out as I've done it for friends before. Spent 2-3 hours digging a lifted F150 out of about 5 feet of snow without a shovel for him to just about do the same thing 10 minutes later and repeat. My buddy owed me a good dinner after that!

I'm my car it'll be sketchier but it plows through stuff nicely. I'm easy less likely to go down a super snowy roads in that so I'd survive by not taking the risk. Got food and warmth in the car too.

Plot twist, stuck with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, Chuck Shumer, The Nancy and Hillary. Don't ask me how or why. Could you do it for a week?

AppropriatePiercingGoldfinch-size_restricted.gif

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads