JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_5398.JPG IMG_5401.JPG My adventure today-5 miles round trip and 4000 ft elevation.

We had a place at Camper's Hideaway until I was about 8 or 9 years old. Loved that place. Lean to up against a 5th wheel that was almost more comfortable than the actual house I grew up in. We had a cast iron stove, concrete floors with carpeting, nice view of the lake and trees, a terraced garden. Had the old folks kept the place - crap I don't even want to think what it would've sold for on today's market. I looked at spaces up there last year on their website, just to see, and about pooped myself.

We used to help in the Territorial Days parades in Amboy too - I threw candy to the parade goers from the back of a flatbed truck that lead the floats. Do they even do that in Amboy anymore?

I remember going to see movies in the summer time in the Amphitheater at the Hideaway too - we got to see Back to the Future not long after it came out, open air.

First kokanee I ever caught was caught from the docks down there too, when I was 4 years old - caught on a purple plastic worm with a pink tail, fished under a bobber using my trusty old Zebco 303 combo. Wish I had the picture of that fish still - we had pix of me holding it up, and of it laying against a yard stick. 16 inches - which was huge to me back then. I wouldn't let it be cooked - we kept that damned fish in the freezer for a couple years, and every once in a while I'd take it out and look it over, then put it back, terribly impressed with my heroic catch. I may do the same thing if I ever catch a 10lb bass here in Oregon :D

Jim - if you get a place up there I may have to bum rides on your boat. Aside from that one koke from the docks, I don't remember Merwin fishing all that well from the bank. We had a boat, too and fished out of that most of the time up there. I know there's kokes, rainbows, and I think chinook? I remember hearing about pike or muskies introduced to control some other invasive fish - those would be fun to hunt down, especially with a fly rod.

Back on topic - here in Da Grove, it's been like 36 degrees and raining and the snow and ice is slowly melting. If they cancel school again I am going to frickin' loose it and send the nastiest e-mail to every school board member and the superintendent - they cancelled school Tuesday because, despite the roads being passable, there was snow on the sidewalks. Not sure what the hell we're paying these clowns to do, or why the school district's maintenance people weren't out being useful, clearing the snow and inspecting the building for leaks or damage caused by the weather. The superintendent or whoever makes the call to cancel school or not is a straight up pussy - and has now cancelled school twice in two weeks when they could've gone. The worst came when they cancelled school because of the *threat* of icy roads - never mind the fact that any ice that may have been ON the roads, was melted by the time the busses would've been running. They *could* have done a 1 or 2 hour delay to be safe, but no, they cancelled school instead. If this crap keeps up, the kids will be going to school during the first week of July o_O

Even if I don't get a place right there I will be closer than I am now & yes to the open seat in my boat. I picked up a third Cannon electric DR so now we can fish 6 rods on em (stacking)!!!!!

I hope it blows itself out this weeK!!! I am buying a motorcycle near Issaquah next Saturday Feb 10th and am riding it down through Orygun to Redding Sat/Sunday.

Am thinking of getting hotel in Sutherlin Sat night. That gives me the best chance of hitting the Siskiyous at mid day. LR weather said partly sunny and 50 Sunday so Sat/SUN/Monday is my weather window I figure. If it was decent weather it's a one day trip but this time of year I am not taking many chances. Plus, don't really want to thrash the bike in crappy weather.

Brutus OUt

You better wear a body condom cause it's gonna RAIN!!!!! At least in the Olympia I5 corridor down to Vtown...

You better wear a body condom cause it's gonna RAIN!!!!! At least in the Olympia I5 corridor down to Vtown...

Rain is a piece of cake of cake for me, When I lived in WA I was a year round rider. One whole year I took the car to work only 2x. I have good rain gear and waterproof boots. I'd rather it not rain, but it is a heckuva a lot easier than hail, snow or slush. I do appreciate all the advice. The VTX 1800R is a terrific rain bike, big tires front and back, big fenders, great brakes that are linked and low center of gravity and a long wheel base. Excellent headlight as well.

Brutus Out

Rain is a piece of cake of cake for me, When I lived in WA I was a year round rider. One whole year I took the car to work only 2x. I have good rain gear and waterproof boots. I'd rather it not rain, but it is a heckuva a lot easier than hail, snow or slush. I do appreciate all the advice. The VTX 1800R is a terrific rain bike, big tires front and back, big fenders, great brakes that are linked and low center of gravity and a long wheel base. Excellent headlight as well.

Brutus Out

Awesome, your well versed then. Hope all goes to plan Brother!!!;)

Jim - the Muskie stocking is confirmed - Merwin has muskies that were introduced to control the pikeminnow that thrived in the fish-barrel that is Merwin. So after getting 50 kokes for the freezer or smoker - one could theoretically break out bigger gear, hit the shallows, and hunt for fish that get upto 5 feet long, that eat fish the size of the average Koke like we eat m&m's :D Did I mention their mouths are full of scissor-like teeth? What's not to love?

I think someone should start a rumor of a massive muskie preying on swimmers, small pets (not too wild, since they'll eat ducks - why wouldn't they eat a Pomeranian?) and small children that venture too close to the water. May keep the riff-raff at bay!

IMG_1734.JPG
Jim - the Muskie stocking is confirmed - Merwin has muskies that were introduced to control the pikeminnow that thrived in the fish-barrel that is Merwin. So after getting 50 kokes for the freezer or smoker - one could theoretically break out bigger gear, hit the shallows, and hunt for fish that get upto 5 feet long, that eat fish the size of the average Koke like we eat m&m's :D Did I mention their mouths are full of scissor-like teeth? What's not to love?

I think someone should start a rumor of a massive muskie preying on swimmers, small pets (not too wild, since they'll eat ducks - why wouldn't they eat a Pomeranian?) and small children that venture too close to the water. May keep the riff-raff at bay!
Yep they are in there. Only 2 ft. But a load of fun on a Kokanee rod.

WX update. Temperature forecast I see for today only dips to mid-30s. So we'll probably avoid this week's ice age.

Glad I made a huge batch of salsa last night (it's way better on day-two). I can fill a couple growlers on the way to a party. It's an annual family/friends shindig based on some sporting event I care little about.

I saw oknow's muskie the day he caught it, damn toothy critter to say the least. Are they sure that they only eat pike minnow? I'd be willing to bet they'd eat ANYTHING!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::p

I have seen tiger musky the size of a large man's leg. When I was a kid we would go up to the Goliath river in Nipigon Canada. They had the largest pike and Musky's I have ever seen. It has been rumored that a full size.
Musky will eat a duck. My mom had one on her line that looked like a fence post. She thought she had a snag until it finally started moving.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top