JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unlike Dick's, Walmart and Bi-Mart are not (as far as I know) using part of the money you give them to actively lobby for gun control.

Who wins when Walmart and Bi-Mart eventually decide it's no longer worth selling firearms, ammo and accessories? When enticing images of racks of firearms for sale, and the feeling that the ability to purchase them is still within easy reach, vanish from the public consciousness?

Let them know you're unhappy, but if they're not actively trying to take away your rights (like Dick's), don't stop doing business with them.

They may not be giving money to the gun control lobby, but they're giving in-kind donations to them: doing the anti's bidding (stifling peoples 2A rights) by enacting gun control that's even more restrictive than the state and federal laws.

Ray

They may not be giving money to the gun control lobby, but they're giving in-kind donations to them: doing the anti's bidding (stifling peoples 2A rights) by enacting gun control that's even more restrictive than the state and federal laws.

Ray
Exactly right! Just as troubling is many who support these Corps who are violating Oregon discrimination law also agree with restricting sales of firearms and ammo to 18-20 year old adults. Not cool, IMHO.

Edit: Take a look at the age of murderers who have committed, with legally acquired firearms, the vast majority of mass shootings in recent years. Very few have been in the 18-20 age group.

Last Edited:
Walk through the halls of a local High School some day, its shocking to hear the foul and course language of the students and the teachers (authority figures) are seemingly powerless to stop it. You didn't dare do that when I was going through high school let alone my job. As a society we've tied the hands of teachers and police, what did we expect would happen?

^^^

This and thank you!

I don't have children and SOCIETY does this to parents in many, many cases too.

Cate

Plenty of anger has been directed at Dick's and Walmart. BiMart has, for reasons beyond my understanding, escaped this anger for adopting similar policies regarding raising the age to purchase ammo and firearms to 21 and to quit selling "evil" firearms.

I've been buying reloading supplies from bimart since large pistol primers were $1.25 per 100. They usually have the best price on standard items like 4064. Specialty items can be purchased elsewhere.

Bimart walks a thin line to avoid angering commies without losing gun customers. They no longer have AR type magazines in the magazine rack, they are in the gun section.

As long as the Corp doesnt actively oppose my rights and keeps good prices on reloading supplies, I will do business with them.

My rather attractive wife works there in the sporting goods section we talk about gun sales and policies most every day. BiMart sells a lot of semi-auto .22s and those are now assault rifles for the WA crowd. Rather than set themselves up for potential mistakes when dealing with out of state WA buyers, the created the new policy. So what's the big deal really other than affecting those who like to cross into Oregon and not pay taxes? Or is it just that some folks want to be able to cross over and poach an 'illegal assault rifle 10/22' and take it back to WA?

I'm not emotional about this. You seem to be the one triggered because some internet dude questioned your knowledge or lack thereof. Perhaps I just misunderstood the bubblegum bimart comment.
Can you ask your wife if management informed employees that their policy of discontinuing sales of firearms and ammo to 18-20 year olds was a violation of Oregon discrimination law. I'm genuinely curious if employees who follow this policy know they are violating Oregon discrimination law when they deny firearm or ammo sales to 18, 19 and 20 year olds.

It would be prudent for the store manager to handle denying all these sales, so employees wouldn't have to participate in violating the law.

I have heard from some members here that they have talked with BiMart employees who didn't agree with the discriminatory policy but followed it anyways.

This is important. Employees of any Oregon company should not be required to violate Oregon discrimination law to keep their employment. If a employee was terminated for refusing to violate Oregon discrimination law, they would have a huge case against the employer. Oregon Law trumps store policy.

Over history people have done horrible things with the excuse that they were just following orders. A brave few stood up and said no, I wish there were more like them. It appears that those brave few have not made their way to working at BiMart.

I keep hearing that people might be giving BiMart a pass because they are a employee owned company. In my mind that makes their discriminatory policy even worse. Walmart employees may not have a lot of influence on corporate. BiMart employees on the other hand should have much greater influence on Corporate's decisions. That leads me to believe a majority of BiMart employees support or could care less about the discrimination taking place in their stores.

These BiMart threads are always so contentious...
You know what the best part is, all these guys who refuse to shop at BiMart means less competition in trying to get the sale items before they run out (luckily they've caught on and probably order a ton more for these sales recently).

You know what the best part is, all these guys who refuse to shop at BiMart means less competition in trying to get the sale items before they run out (luckily they've caught on and probably order a ton more for these sales recently).
For those who live near a Cabela's, you can have them match BiMart prices and use discount gift cards to save additional dough. Cabela's has much larger selection of reloading components and they haven't thrown the 18-20 crowd under the bus yet?

Last time I was in BiMart to take pictures of powder selection, the shelf was still 2/3rds empty. I asked the kid (early 20s) who came to ask if I needed help, if they were going to quit selling powder. He said he didn't think so. I then asked him when they were going to receive in more powder. He shrugged and said he didn't know. Another thing that bothered me about BiMart was just about everytime I started looking at stuff that was behind the counter, an employee would show up and linger. I would tell them I was just looking but they would hang around. Unlike Cabela's most ammo and nearly all reloading components are behind the counter. It's not conducive to browsing.

Last Edited:
I keep hearing that people might be giving BiMart a pass because they are a employee owned company. In my mind that makes their discriminatory policy even worse. Walmart employees may not have a lot of influence on corporate. BiMart employees on the other hand should have much greater influence on Corporate's decisions. That leads me to believe a majority of BiMart employees support or could care less about the discrimination taking place in their stores.
Maybe this will help with your other question also.

Employee owned means after working a year, one is invested with a partial share in the company based upon the total amount of employees. The only way to collect on this is by working at BiMart until retirement age. Most don't....and no one is getting rich but upper management. FWIW...employees usually make close to minimum wage. My wife works their for fun...don't ask me why, she's just that way.

Prohibited sales to <21 is BS and everyone I have ever spoken to at BiMart know this, including my firearms enthusiast wife. What is more bothersome is here in Idaho they passed a law that 18yr olds are now included in the CC/OC laws but, oddly enough cannot buy a firearm at BiMart.

Lastly you said your logic leads you to believe BiMart employees have a greater influence with corporate with the assumption that since nothing has been done, those employees must agree; My rather attractive wife is laughing at your comment and said 'we have ZERO influence over policy and/or products'....

To the other guy complaining about BiMart employees being 'too helpful'....if one runs the sporting goods section, it is their job. My guess is they would rather not stand there and linger because they have lots more going on than I ever knew...like stocking/arranging shelves/tagging, etc. After a while they get to know the regulars and just tell them 'I'll be over here if you need something'...

Powder inconveniently located; have you ever noticed all the bubblegum on pallets in the main aisle? That's because the back is full up with product and they have an art for using up every bit of real-estate...and oddly enough, reloading supplies just happens to fit nicely on the back side of the ammo shelving. The stores are clones and that is why most all look exactly the same. Cabelas is a monster...unlike BM. Not sure why that is so hard to observe on one's own.

Edited to tame my sharp tongue...

Last Edited:
Local gun store went out of business and turned into a flower shop, that is where I got my black powder stuff. Shortly before going out of business they stopped selling black powder because they couldn't afford the insurance.

Freddie's closed down their gun counter, bimart is all that is left unless I feel like driving for an hour. Black powder is in limited quantity online I've heard due to insurance reasons as well. So bimart is kinda what I'm stuck with.

Politics and public pressure closed down two alternatives.... I will continue to shop there because my choices have been limited.

Maybe this will help with your other question also.

Employee owned means after working a year, one is invested with a partial share in the company based upon the total amount of employees. The only way to collect on this is by working at BiMart until retirement age. Most don't....and no one is getting rich but upper management. FWIW...employees usually make close to minimum wage. My wife works their for fun...don't ask me why, she's just that way.

Prohibited sales to <21 is BS and everyone I have ever spoken to at BiMart know this, including my firearms enthusiast wife. What is more bothersome is here in Idaho they passed a law that 18yr olds are now included in the CC/OC laws but, oddly enough cannot buy a firearm at BiMart.

Lastly you said your logic leads you to believe BiMart employees have a greater influence with corporate with the assumption that since nothing has been done, those employees must agree; My rather attractive wife is laughing at your comment and said 'we have ZERO influence over policy and/or products'....

To the other guy complaining about BiMart employees being 'too helpful'....if one runs the sporting goods section, it is their job. My guess is they would rather not stand there and linger because they have lots more going on than I ever knew...like stocking/arranging shelves/tagging, etc. After a while they get to know the regulars and just tell them 'I'll be over here if you need something'...

Powder inconveniently located; have you ever noticed all the bubblegum on pallets in the main aisle? That's because the back is full up with product and they have an art for using up every bit of real-estate...and oddly enough, reloading supplies just happens to fit nicely on the back side of the ammo shelving. The stores are clones and that is why most all look exactly the same. Cabelas is a monster...unlike BM. Not sure why that is so hard to observe on one's own.

Edited to tame my sharp tongue...
It sounds like Bimart is just another corporation like Walmart. I am not sure why being employee owned would motivate somebody to give them a pass on their BS discrimination policy. My guess is, the customers giving BiMart a pass don't really give a rip about them violating the Oregon discrimination law.

I would rather see the giant tubs of cheese balls and cans of beans behind the sporting goods counter and move the bullets out front

It sounds like Bimart is just another corporation like Walmart. I am not sure why being employee owned would motivate somebody to give them a pass on their BS discrimination policy. My guess is, the customers giving BiMart a pass don't really give a rip about them violating the Oregon discrimination law.

I would rather see the giant tubs of cheese balls and cans of beans behind the sporting goods counter and move the bullets out front
Curious if you and eightyeight mag have contacted corporate and tried to get them squared away? Maybe your voice will make a difference.

I have never bought a Gun at Fred Myers or Bi Mart. I do buy reloading components at Bi Mart (Powders, Primers, Bullets, and Cases) Problem for me is the nearest Bi Mart to me (In WA I over 120 miles round trip. It is just a far to go to a Bi Mart in Or. Not worth the trouble to save a couple bucks on sale tax. I prefer shopping at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Just playing 'Devils advocate' but does it so state anywhere in the 'Oregon Discrimination Law' that it includes someone under 21 buying a gun?

How is an 18-21 YOA person SPECIFICALLY protected under the law if a biz denies selling a gun, or anything they are legally able to purchase.

Please note I said SPECIFICALLY so if anyone can answer this without conjecture or generalization I would appreciate it.

Curious if you and eightyeight mag have contacted corporate and tried to get them squared away? Maybe your voice will make a difference.
I sent an email to corporate back when they first initiated the policy. I explained my story about buying my first 3 firearms there. I never heard back from them. I haven't bothered trying to call them.

Just playing 'Devils advocate' but does it so state anywhere in the 'Oregon Discrimination Law' that it includes someone under 21 buying a gun?

How is an 18-21 YOA person SPECIFICALLY protected under the law if a biz denies selling a gun, or anything they are legally able to purchase.

Please note I said SPECIFICALLY so if anyone can answer this without conjecture or generalization I would appreciate it.
Here you go: ORS 659A.403 - Discrimination in place of public accommodation prohibited - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top