JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry if this is old news.

bim.JPG

For a little while I thought Bimart raised all ammo and firearm purchases to 21? I could have sworn they did a while back after a "mass event".. but now they perhaps got rid of that policy and went back to the 18 & 21 age restrictions?

I still shop there, they have the best deals most of the time and actually run real sales compared to other stores.

For a little while I thought Bimart raised all ammo and firearm purchases to 21? I could have sworn they did a while back after a "mass event".. but now they perhaps got rid of that policy and went back to the 18 & 21 age restrictions?

I still shop there, they have the best deals most of the time and actually run real sales compared to other stores.
Very possible they did. I seem to remember they raised the age to buy a long gun to 21 before the laws changed after some kook shot up some school. Often some panic event will make a lot of places panic too. All due to lawyers. After those kooks got into that shootout in LA who were wearing body armor several places stopped selling it to the public unless they could prove they worked in a job they had "need" of it. It soon tapered back off. Everyone is afraid of being sued. :(

Yea I was going to say Oregon hasn't changed since I was a young kid. I remember wanting to buy a box of Western XX target .22L at the local Coast to Coast and even though Dad was buddies with the Owner/gunsmith that had his shop in the back and I was in there all the time I couldn't buy the ammo until dad was done gabbing in the back and standing next to me.

So lever action 9mm purchase - 18
Ammo for lever gun - 21

Got it.
This kind of stuff shows the folly of gun laws. LONG before states started in on this Feds had said no handgun ammo to anyone under 21 but long guns were fine at 18. Right away problems came up. The .22 for one big one. MANY stores would not sell .22 ammo to anyone under 21 as you had to fill out a log book for hand gun ammo. Some stores would sell me .22 ammo when I was 18 as long as I said it was for a rifle but, this was hit and miss even back then. I was a HUGE fan of the PCC from the time I started to shoot. Problem was until I was 21 I could not purchase ammo for mine. I had to have someone else buy the ammo for me for a rifle I could buy. :confused:

Good question. I have not paid much attention to this crap after they started passing these stupid laws. Sadly a LOT of gun owners were all in on it so not sure how much support there was for fighting it.
There are a lot of gun related cases going before SCOTUS right now. I lose track of where they are all at. I know the 18yo thing is up for consideration, I do not remember where it is past that. It does look like SCOTUS will recognize 18yos as full citizens though, so all this "18 or 21" BS might be going the way of history.

So, under federal law..

An 18 year old can buy a long gun at 18 from an FFL..but not a handgun..
An 11 year old can't buy any gun from an FFL but can buy a long gun from a neighbor..
An 18 year old can buy a handgun from a neighbor..
An 18 year old can also enter contracts, vote, get married and join the military. He also needs to register for the draft. (But "she' doesn't..)
But he still can't go to an FFL and buy a handgun..

I suppose if I were an 18 year old male, I would choose to identify as a 21 year old female, thus able to buy a handgun..and avoid conscription.

Stupid laws.

There are a lot of gun related cases going before SCOTUS right now. I lose track of where they are all at. I know the 18yo thing is up for consideration, I do not remember where it is past that. It does look like SCOTUS will recognize 18yos as full citizens though, so all this "18 or 21" BS might be going the way of history.
I have LONG hated this "sliding scale" of "adult". Whatever age they want to pick it should ALL be that age. Vote, contract, guns, the whole thing. The same people who keep championing taking certain rights away from those under 21 are also screaming to let 16 year olds vote. If you can't own a gun you should not be able to join the Military, vote or sign a contract. This constant trying to exempt some from one thing and then let them do another is crap. Pick an age, then make it clear to ALL. Once you hit that age you are responsible for your choices. Make poor choices pay the price.

I have a sister-in-law shrink who loves to argue that kids' brains aren't fully developed until 25 so they shouldn't have guns..yet has no problem with us defeating hitler in WW2 with 17 year olds. I give up trying to understand their logic.

I have a sister-in-law shrink who loves to argue that kids' brains aren't fully developed until 25 so they shouldn't have guns..yet has no problem with us defeating hitler in WW2 with 17 year olds. I give up trying to understand their logic.
I have heard that bunk a lot last couple decades too. When some "expert" tells me that I always say great, they should not be able to sign a contract or vote then. They puff all up at that. When I say you claim their brain is not developed, how can they sign a contract or know who they are voting for? They quickly want to change the subject or start talking in circles like some drunk.

I have LONG hated this "sliding scale" of "adult". Whatever age they want to pick it should ALL be that age. Vote, contract, guns, the whole thing. The same people who keep championing taking certain rights away from those under 21 are also screaming to let 16 year olds vote. If you can't own a gun you should not be able to join the Military, vote or sign a contract. This constant trying to exempt some from one thing and then let them do another is crap. Pick an age, then make it clear to ALL. Once you hit that age you are responsible for your choices. Make poor choices pay the price.
There should be a proposal to bar any military recruitment from states with age restrictions on firearms including the selective service. Let's see how fast the age restrictions will be abandoned.

Anyone find it strange that Idaho is more restrictive than Oregon???
It is true, the prefrontal cortex - the part of the brain that says, "Hey, that's a pretty stupid idea," is not fully developed until we are about 25 (hence why insurance rates go down at this age and rental car companies do not charge extra), But people without "fully developed" brains saved the world a few times in the past 120 years. It's not an absolute, but something we should be aware of.

Until the system procecutes or hold juvenile bad actors accountable for their crimes, the rest have to suffer. These actions just show where the priorities lie. Look where the highly funded tax paid grants and research money goes and it's not to ensure the majority of good citizens keep their rights.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top