JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just playing 'Devils advocate' but does it so state anywhere in the 'Oregon Discrimination Law' that it includes someone under 21 buying a gun?

How is an 18-21 YOA person SPECIFICALLY protected under the law if a biz denies selling a gun, or anything they are legally able to purchase.

Please note I said SPECIFICALLY so if anyone can answer this without conjecture or generalization I would appreciate it.
The law only list a few exemptions and firearms and ammo are not on the exemption list. The antis tried to add firearms and ammo to the exemption list this past session but that was part of the big anti gun bill that failed.

I sent an email to corporate back when they first initiated the policy. I explained my story about buying my first 3 firearms there. I never heard back from them. I haven't bothered trying to call them.
Good man. You did your part. I think I will talk with the corporate guy face to face next time he shows up at the store where my wife works. Maybe it will help...who knows.

Curious if you and eightyeight mag have contacted corporate and tried to get them squared away? Maybe your voice will make a difference.

I actually did contact bi mart corporate when they raised their age limits and let them know i was disappointed in their new policy. I got zero feedback. Crickets. Which is what I expected.

The other thing that really pissed me off was the fact that bi mart put out this press release while still selling ruger mini 14 rilfes and "high cap" magazines for said rifles.

"Bi-Mart has been a part of communities throughout the Northwest for over 60 years– we are committed to serving and caring about our customers. That care extends to the products we sell and whom we sell them to. In recent weeks we, along with many members and our neighbors in retail, have paid close attention to the national discussion regarding firearm sales. Joining in that discussion— we support the responsible sale and use of firearms. Since the day Bi-Mart was founded, we've always carried a mix of merchandise that supported the shooting sports and hunting community. We've done this without selling assault type weapons. This style of firearm is not part of our current mix of goods and will not be in the future. We have never stocked or sold AK or AR platform rifles or bump-stocks and we do not stock high capacity magazines for these firearms. Our policies for firearm sales meet or exceed all Federal and State laws where we operate and currently follow all government age restrictions. We will continue to carry our current selection of items for the hunter and sport shooter. That being said, we agree with many policy makers and our peers that increasing the age limit to 21, in order to purchase a firearm, is a step in the right direction. In support, Bi-Mart and Cascade Farm and Outdoor stores, a division of Bi-Mart, will only sell guns and ammunition to those 21 or older that meet state and federal requirements for purchasing firearms. Our goal is to support responsible firearm use and make a positive contribution to the local, regional and national discussion of this issue. Our policies have always been a reflection of our values at Bi-Mart– we will continue to make choices based on what we think is best for our members and the communities we serve."

Just seemed very hypocritical and rubbed me the wrong way.

I actually did contact bi mart corporate when they raised their age limits and let them know i was disappointed in their new policy. I got zero feedback. Crickets. Which is what I expected.

The other thing that really pissed me off was the fact that bi mart put out this press release while still selling ruger mini 14 rilfes and "high cap" magazines for said rifles.

"Bi-Mart has been a part of communities throughout the Northwest for over 60 years– we are committed to serving and caring about our customers. That care extends to the products we sell and whom we sell them to. In recent weeks we, along with many members and our neighbors in retail, have paid close attention to the national discussion regarding firearm sales. Joining in that discussion— we support the responsible sale and use of firearms. Since the day Bi-Mart was founded, we've always carried a mix of merchandise that supported the shooting sports and hunting community. We've done this without selling assault type weapons. This style of firearm is not part of our current mix of goods and will not be in the future. We have never stocked or sold AK or AR platform rifles or bump-stocks and we do not stock high capacity magazines for these firearms. Our policies for firearm sales meet or exceed all Federal and State laws where we operate and currently follow all government age restrictions. We will continue to carry our current selection of items for the hunter and sport shooter. That being said, we agree with many policy makers and our peers that increasing the age limit to 21, in order to purchase a firearm, is a step in the right direction. In support, Bi-Mart and Cascade Farm and Outdoor stores, a division of Bi-Mart, will only sell guns and ammunition to those 21 or older that meet state and federal requirements for purchasing firearms. Our goal is to support responsible firearm use and make a positive contribution to the local, regional and national discussion of this issue. Our policies have always been a reflection of our values at Bi-Mart– we will continue to make choices based on what we think is best for our members and the communities we serve."

Just seemed very hypocritical and rubbed me the wrong way.
Pure pandering to the antis. I hope Cabela's and Sportsman's don't cave to this BS.

Handguns have always required a transfer when bought out of state. Are you saying that semi auto rifles now require one?
Courtesy of 1639, when applying the federal law that says dealers from out of state must comply with the state laws of the purchasers residence. We've been saying this for a year...and its why we have challenged this part of the law in Federal Court.

Courtesy of 1639, when applying the federal law that says dealers from out of state must comply with the state laws of the purchasers residence. We've been saying this for a year...and its why we have challenged this part of the law in Federal Court.
As an FFL, what would you want to see in a manual loading AR15 style rifle to feel comfortable transferring it?

could you expand on this a bit more: "If it has a gas system at all" ?

Do we have any guidance on this issue from WA State?

None, and that's the scary part, because we won't get any. This will come down to an FFL's discretion, as they examine their freedom and livelihood versus transferring ONE firearm.

None, and that's the scary part, because we won't get any. This will come down to an FFL's discretion, as they examine their freedom and livelihood versus transferring ONE firearm.
I pulled this from the I-1639 text:
"(25) "Semiautomatic assault rifle" means any rifle which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge. "Semiautomatic assault rifle" does not include antique firearms, any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action."

It seems this would provide some guidance as to what the State would consider a semi-auto under I-1639.

I pulled this from the I-1639 text:
"(25) "Semiautomatic assault rifle" means any rifle which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge. "Semiautomatic assault rifle" does not include antique firearms, any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action."

It seems this would provide some guidance as to what the State would consider a semi-auto under I-1639.

I understand that, the questions is...does a temporary modification meet that requirement? That's the grayness or of the gray...am I willing to bet my freedom on the interpretation of our state AG?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top