JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do you or some one you know have a nuisance turkey or two running around your And or their property??? If so my coworker and I would love to help with that issue... was not able to fill tags last year because of turkeys keep being in places that either cant get to them or just couldn't find them...this year Ive seen tons so far just happened to be in everyone fields....and no people around to try and ask permission to hunt them...and living down here on the coast I dont know anyone whos property have turkey on em...if anyone would be willing to help with this we would definitely be respectful and appreciative of the opportunity...and might even toss in a bottle or two of alcohol 🙂 21+ of course pm me if you know anyone thanks for reading have a great evening

Last Edited:
Still looking for two birds to fill these tags if you know of a spot or someone that's need help let me know please have a great day

IMG_20220415_151907.jpg

Is wild turkey akin to wild duck and goose…. liver-like in taste?
One year for Thanksgiving my wife prepared one store bought turkey and one my son shot. Everyone at dinner agreed the store bought was better, but nobody thought the wild bird was bad. Smothered in gravy, you could hardly tell the difference. The meat does look more like venison than it does a Butterball.

We haven't hunted them for several years. They stink when you're cleaning them and are a lot of trouble for not that much meat. I would much rather process an elk - doesn't smell nearly as bad, and a lot more (and better) meat for the time and effort spent cutting it up. Turkeys are easier to pack out though. :s0092:

Turkeys are fun to call in. I could see myself taking grandkids out when they are little. I don't have any grandkids yet or any on the near horizon. Many landowners around here feed the darn things. Sometimes the flocks get so large as to become a nuisance, increasing the possibility of getting to hunt on private property. When my son was little, having him along increased my chances of gaining access considerably.

View attachment 1187726

View attachment 1187727

These guys are LOUD but make excellent watchdogs. I have them trained to run people off.

P
Yep and I've ran into plenty of people like you who think they are great pets...they are wild birds not pets!!!....it's frustrating when people do this I've literally seen a lady kissing a turkey last weekend in her from yard..... she seen me drive by stopped kissing the turkey to wave at me....it's funny how everyone thinks they are so awesome but in reality they are a dirty bird that will attack and kill your pets....my friend in Ashland just experienced this when turkey attacked her dogs and cost her 5k in vet bills....so thanks for not helping with the whole reason of this post....instead trying to rub in my face that you have "pet" turkey...just goes to show how blind people really are now days.....

Yep and I've ran into plenty of people like you who think they are great pets...they are wild birds not pets!!!....it's frustrating when people do this I've literally seen a lady kissing a turkey last weekend in her from yard..... she seen me drive by stopped kissing the turkey to wave at me....it's funny how everyone thinks they are so awesome but in reality they are a dirty bird that will attack and kill your pets....my friend in Ashland just experienced this when turkey attacked her dogs and cost her 5k in vet bills....so thanks for not helping with the whole reason of this post....instead trying to rub in my face that you have "pet" turkey...just goes to show how blind people really are now days.....
Flaming on people isn't likely to engender anyone to respond favorably to your request/offer. Just sayin.....

One year for Thanksgiving my wife prepared one store bought turkey and one my son shot. Everyone at dinner agreed the store bought was better, but nobody thought the wild bird was bad. Smothered in gravy, you could hardly tell the difference. The meat does look more like venison than it does a Butterball.

We haven't hunted them for several years. They stink when you're cleaning them and are a lot of trouble for not that much meat. I would much rather process an elk - doesn't smell nearly as bad, and a lot more (and better) meat for the time and effort spent cutting it up. Turkeys are easier to pack out though. :s0092:

Turkeys are fun to call in. I could see myself taking grandkids out when they are little. I don't have any grandkids yet or any on the near horizon. Many landowners around here feed the darn things. Sometimes the flocks get so large as to become a nuisance, increasing the possibility of getting to hunt on private property. When my son was little, having him along increased my chances of gaining access considerably.
Similar scenario, different result.

Thanksgiving gathering, large crowd, we cooked a Butterball and a trophy Tom (cooked low and slow!).

There was some Butterball left.

Wild Turkey (of the flesh type) is VERY good when cooked right, even to those not familiar with game.

As to smell when dressing, equivalent to any game bird (although there is more 'substance" producing it). Certainly no more pungent than a Sharptail or Sage Hen.

To the OP: do your homework to find out who owns the land where you are seeing them. Then, (literally) hat in hand, ask permission. No "buddies" with you (unless its a girl or a kid: they increase your chances exponentially!). You will get turned down. Repeatedly, and sometimes not kindly.

Keep trying: all you need is one. If you get a foot in the door somewhere, your next step is to offer (and deliver) hard labor on the place. Your goal is not "just this year", but a place to which you can return every year.

Seems to me, you don't want to hunt Turkeys, you just want to shoot one. You might want to try a guide service for that type of hunting. Most of the guides have deals with the land owners that allow hunting.

Wild Turkeys Attack Hunter
Turkeyville, Ore.

A Turkeyville, Ore. hunter was attacked and disarmed by a flock of angry wild turkeys today.
The victim said the turkeys took turns biting him "all over the place".
Apparently two large toms held him down so the other turkeys could ransack him.
The hunter was life-flighted to City Hospital and apparently the turkeys ran off with the hunter's gun.
Sheriff's Deputies were still searching for the renegade turkeys at press time.

Last Edited:
Screw it...

I had pet turkeys when I was a kid.
Even good 'ol Abe Lincoln had a pet turkey. :)

I've found the few folks I've spoken with that have a turkey problem and are zoned where they can do something about it, either fix it themselves, or abhor the idea of killing them even though their roofs may be coated with crap. Either way, not likely to embrace strangers with a gun.
Keep looking though, there is always an anomaly somewhere. Try the western Umpqua valley though forced armed attrition is slowly weaning many out by those landowners with spunk, and an oven. :rolleyes:

Not even close to flame just stating facts and who cares if anyone responds no one has responded yet beside showing off there "pet" pics...just sayin

Dude,
The first rule when you find yourself in a hole is to quit digging.

E306-FB1-D-FD0-B-4-CE1-A8-F5-D3586-D4-ACE93.jpg

Are you a hunter? No real hunter I know would get any kind of satisfaction out of blasting a bird while it's walking up to you looking for sunflower seeds.

189-AA1-B5-0999-430-B-ACF3-3-CA5-ED9-A3-E2-E.jpg

So put the shovel down and talk to ODFW about HUNTING opportunities and stop asking if you can shoot a yard bird.

FD69-C1-C9-0428-4-E66-99-A1-4363-ABE22-A49.jpg

It's freaking embarrassing!

P

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads