JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It was "it is what it is" :s0140: I am still considering accompanying on the duck hunting because I think I could handle that. I won't be going to elk hunt. I'm just not as ready for that as I thought I was and I'm OK with that. :D Eating tongue... ewe I'm not that adventurous with food.
I hate that saying, too.
That one and "Back in the day". :mad:
Sounds like something made up by an annoying 15 year-old for annoying 15 year-olds.
...at least I can replace "Back in the day" with Way back when (old Rainier Beer ad line from my childhood).
I wonder if you can cut tongue into very thin slices, bread them and fry in oil, like Tempura.....hmmm.

Dean

I hate that saying, too.
Sounds like something made up by an annoying 15 year-old for annoying 15 year-olds.
...at least I can replace "Back in the day" with Way back when (old Rainier Beer ad line from my childhood).
I wonder if you can cut tongue into very thin slices, bread them and fry in oil, like Tempura.....hmmm.

Dean
I'm afraid it just doesn't sound appetizing at all!!
I think I'm almost old enough to say "back in the day" Right now I try to sound younger by saying "remember when we were in high school" :s0140:

It actually got a bit boring until we started naming the animals during the summer.:p

One morning we were waiting for first light and my buddy asked me who ya gonna drop this year? I replied "Spanky", sure enough right at first shooting time ole Spanky and Rufas stepped into the clearing and 3...2...1... BangBang, our season was over.....:s0140:

Now we can get some Kings and Coho this fall!!!;)

I had two bummer lambs that I raised... they were always getting out of the barn, the pens, etc, causing damage and needed to be caught. When I finally had them "processed" I was asking the kids at the dinner table how Gracie and Blondie tasted. Man I relished those lamb chops!!!

I hate that saying, too.

Dean

You could, but why would you??? :eek:

Speaking of "Back in the day"... what about "Back East" used by people that have never lived "Back East" or even visited the east of the U.S.? Now, my Dad was from Connecticut and he could say it... he even had a subscription to Yankee Magazine. But not us kids... and I can't really picture myself saying "Back Calif". ;)

I would because I could....just expressing an idea, that's all.
My dad was from NY. He used "back east" all the time.
I do have a tendency to say it, because I picked it up from him.
Been saying it for too long now. It's become part of my vocabulary...anyway, all my cousin's back east, who live on out on The Island (Long Island) don't mind. ;)

Dean

I would because I could....just expressing an idea, that's all.
My dad was from NY. He used "back east" all the time.
I do have a tendency to say it, because I picked it up from him.
Been saying it for too long now. It's become part of my vocabulary...anyway, all my cousin's back east, who live on out on The Island (Long Island) don't mind. ;)

Dean

My dad lived on Long Island for a time after he retired in Calif. I have a pic of him and fish he caught with his fishing buddies. Who knew that one could fish there? The place is just foreign to me. As are most things "back east". Yup, I still say it that way. ;):D

Enjoy your fried tongue!!! ;);):p:p:D:D:D

Mix a little sweeet rice vinegar and soy sauce, use it as a dip....YUM-YUM! :s0116:
Your dad must've been out on the ocean end of the island. Lots'er fishn' out that way, from what I hear.

Dean

2 trips and 3 birds down not bad for the 9yr old girl, seen 10 so far. I just shoot what ill eat that night im not greedy, but fresh wild mushrooms and grouse soup is awesome!

Screenshot_20190905-182231.png IMG_20190902_083558.jpg

We just got back from Desolation unit, almost a week in there. Way too hot!!! High 80's in the afternoon, only down in the mid 40's at night. Elk are still way to high, above 6800 feet where we were. They are not talking or moving, nocturnal movements only. Very frustrating!

I think he said his name was Ken.
Not sure.
There was 3 other guys there .we all Shooting and talking .
So I could be wrong about the name.
But he shoots with the Skagit muzzleloader group

@EPS
Yep...I know Ken...he is a great guy.
Saw four grouse....was able to get a shot ...but....missed...:eek::D
Also saw a Great Grey Owl...it was a great day to be out hunting....weather was nice and scenery was beautiful.
Andy

I was house hunting in Kennewick a few days ago. Coming back on Friday I was westbound on I-84, somewhere between Boardman and The Dalles, when I passed a pickup truck that had its bed mostly covered with a tarp.

As I passed it I noted that that tarp had come loose and I saw at least three ice chests in the back along with an elk head that looked to be 6 points. That thing was enormous!

I was house hunting in Kennewick a few days ago. Coming back on Friday I was westbound on I-84, somewhere between Boardman and The Dalles, when I passed a pickup truck that had its bed mostly covered with a tarp.

As I passed it I noted that that tarp had come loose and I saw at least three ice chests in the back along with an elk head that looked to be 6 points. That thing was enormous!
i almost got ran off of 205 when i had a buck in the bed of my truck on my way home from ukiah a couple years back. apparently someone in a volvo didnt like it:rolleyes:

Tongue is great food! Peeling the skin off after boiling is not real fun but makes wonderful sandwiches. A texture not unlike duck but much better flavor.
We've made a lot of head cheese, another great sandwich meat. not like the stuff you get in the stores that has more gelatin than shoulder meat, but with the entire pigs head, brains, eyes and all, then squeeze out most the gelatin leaving just enough to hold the meat together in a nice firm loaf of meat.
The weirdest thing I've put in my mouth was in China, called drunken shrimp . Unbeknownst to me, Live shrimp, anesthetized in Saki. When you bite on them they wake up and begin to wiggle!:eek:

I remember eating Tiger Shrimp in Japan. Tempura.
YUH-ME!
I also found a favourite beverage. Sweetened Fermented Milk in carbonated water. These days the company is called "Calpico", but back then, they went by the name, "Calpis".
Whenever we mentioned it, it always came out sounding like Cow Piss.
These days, I found a local grocer carries it. When I found it, I showed my mom and said, "Look Mom, Cow Piss! "
True story. :s0140:

Last Edited:
My son took a forest grouse with his bow at exactly 47.3 yards. Grouse was delicious, braised with Cointreau and butter. Not sure it was worth the lost broadhead though.

I did not even draw early archery season. Closet I got to a game animal was 73 yards.

203AD8EB-D28C-4631-A7C3-4EDD1CC53CC2.jpeg A0097861-A966-4340-914A-EE06DF4FFA04.jpeg

My grandson took this buck in the first ten minutes today... not huge horns, but it should eat well. I might have to hit him up for some to put in the chili pot!!

Lw8GmKtORXsEPVZsaxvyLmvh5c&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio1-1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads