JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is why going duck hunting might be a challenge for me. I am keeping an open mind, but I look at this bunny and I don't think fry it up. I think this bunny was on its way somewhere and now it ain't. And then I'm showing a house today and what do I find in the back yard... his buddy and it wouldn't stop starring at me! How do you find your focus?
The damage (in my mind) may already be done for you. Be assured, whether you overcome the aversion or not, I would not think less of you for those thoughts, unless you were to think less of me to the point of curtailing my ability to hunt.
It's not about focus for me.
Not just unapologetically, but gratefully born into a different world (now waning in our country) where meat is the sustenance of life and folk are thankful to God for the bounty he provides. My earliest memories of my grandparents entail their butchering of pigs, cows and chickens on their farm. Wasting little more than the bones, we still rendered the fat not just for harness salve but for cooking, and things like encasing fried pork pieces in large crocks to be stored in the cellar. We made head cheese from the entire pigs head. Smoked much of the flesh to extend its life because until about the 50's, they were still resisting electricity and refrigeration. A natural progression for me from there, was to include fishing, frog and squirrel hunting among a few, and eventually larger game as I grew older. In my earliest years of marriage, included raising rabbits and harvesting wild grains and legumes to sustain them, to the tune of about a hundred a month which included the killing by my own hands, butchering, and tanning of the hides, my mother, bless her soul, helped me with the chore of tanning when she had time. Though I sold some meat, mostly for winter rabbit feed, our meat diet consisted of rabbit, a few dirt cheap turkey culls, plus small and big game when I was fortunate to come by it, as our only source of meat for more than ten years. Killing, butchering, the taste and smells from the cooking that eventually come from it, are a way if life, if not a fact of life, since I truly believe that physiologically, man was designed by God to eat meat, right down to his canine teeth.
I've been chewed on by the best vegetarians of the 60's and 70's who much to their irritation, literarily and rudely standing over me while I ate, could not sway me from enjoying my meal! When they say "Bunny" I think fatless tender fine grained flesh, and mouthwatering liver. When they say Bambi, I think savory venison version of veal. when they say cow, I think barbequed Ribeye, tongue sandwiches, and comfortable shoes.
The only focus I require is holding down the excitement of what's to come in the kitchen, so I can pull the trigger without jerking.
As an aside, and off subject, I've enjoyed nearly everything that is cooked and baked today, back when animal fat was the primary oil available,
Todays food is bland to disgusting, and unimpressive by comparison. Especially all things fried.

This was helpful. Gross on some videos. I'm not sure this is in my wheelhouse. It's good to learn it here and not in the field.

It's all good! (;) Wasn't that on your irritating saying list? :oops:)

The only problem I see with learning it in the field would be the money and effort invested and THEN finding out you don't like it. I'm not really averse to that in my own life... I'm plenty willing to try new things, especially on a dare! I enjoy adventurous eating too. Still there are things I know I'm just not going to do, and things I'm not going to eat. Being ahead of the curve on those can save some $$$ and in the case of hunting buddies... some embarassment! (sp) The looks your buds give you when you don't take the shot. The ribbing you might get if they are really good buds and know you can take it. The looks on the Labrador's face that says WTF? ;):D

Note: I had a high school friend whose folks cooked tongue every once in awhile... GROSS! I tried it one time and it was tasty but the texture was not something i enjoyed at all... never ate tongue again. Soooooo after years of saying I would never eat Escargo... I tried an order while on a Princess cruise. Very tasty, but again the texture... oh gosh, never again!!!

Point being re duck hunting... you might enjoy the challenge and the flair of landing ducks, but not the harvesting. You won't know if you don't go. As opposed to gutting and elk, the processing of a few ducks is something that can be done out of your sight...

Last Edited:
It's all good! (;) Wasn't that on your irritating saying list? :oops:)

The only problem I see with learning it in the field would be the money and effort invested and THEN finding out you don't like it. I'm not really averse to that in my own life... I'm plenty willing to try new things, especially on a dare! I enjoy adventurous eating too. Still there are things I know I'm just not going to do, and things I'm not going to eat. Being ahead of the curve on those can save some $$$ and in the case of hunting buddies... some embarassment! (sp) The looks your buds give you when you don't take the shot. The ribbing you might get if they are really good buds and know you can take it. The looks on the Labrador's face that says WTF? ;):D

Note: I had a high school friend whose folks cooked tongue every once in awhile... GROSS! I tried it one time and it was tasty but the texture was not something i enjoyed at all... never ate tongue again. Soooooo after years of saying I would never eat Escargo... I tried an order while on a Princess cruise. Very tasty, but again the texture... oh gosh, never again!!!

Point being re duck hunting... you might enjoy the challenge and the flair of landing ducks, but not the harvesting. You won't know if you don't go. As opposed to gutting and elk, the processing of a few ducks is something that can be done out of your sight...

It was "it is what it is" :s0140: I am still considering accompanying on the duck hunting because I think I could handle that. I won't be going to elk hunt. I'm just not as ready for that as I thought I was and I'm OK with that. :D Eating tongue... ewe I'm not that adventurous with food.

Elk tongue and better yet Buffalo tongue is very tender and tasty....

That said ....small game and bird such as grouse and duck are excellent ways to learn how to field dress a animal.
Andy

Elk tongue and better yet Buffalo tongue is very tender and tasty....

That said ....small game and bird such as grouse and duck are excellent ways to learn how to field dress a animal.
Andy

My wife says that's what men are for!!! I used to have to bait her hook too, so we agreed she would use spinners. :D

I've eaten grubs , snakes , turtles , various insects , dog , horse and much more ...
Not lately...
But in my travels around the world and having trained lots of folks ...you get invited for dinner.
And it pays not to be rude , to the folks that you just trained up in Infantry tactics and other assorted dirty tricks...

That and S.E.R.E School while in the Army , has long done away with being too picky 'bout chow , when hungry...:D
Andy

I've eaten grubs , snakes , turtles , various insects , dog , horse and much more ...
Not lately...
But in my travels around the world and having trained lots of folks ...you get invited for dinner.
And it pays not to be rude , to the folks that you just trained up in Infantry tactics and other assorted dirty tricks...

That and S.E.R.E School while in the Army , has long done away with being too picky 'bout chow , when hungry...:D
Andy

I've never had someone offer me any of the above. I'm not sure what I'd do I'df someone offered me dog or horse. :s0170:

I finally found the puking emoji in the play yard!! Yay me!!:s0132:

I've never had someone offer me any of the above. I'm not sure what I'd do I'df someone offered me dog or horse. :s0170:

I finally found the puking emoji in the play yard!! Yay me!!:s0132:
Well ....
Time , place and etiquette played a large role in my eating habits at times.

Not really into eating anything that I listed , nowadays...but when in Rome or actually hungry...as in actually needing food , not just a : "Hey when is dinner...? " kinda feeling...may cause many a critter to look better when served up....:D
Andy

I respect the entire circle of life and Everyone that enjoys hunting, i was honestly surprised that i can barely watch some of the YouTube videos without gagging. I thought I had a stronger stomach than that. :s0152: To all of you hunters out there.

I'm seriously motivated by the need for a large amount of high quality meat. I can't afford grass fed anything unless I go get it myself.

I'm not ashamed to admit it took a lot of drive and determination to get past the revolting parts of harvesting game.

I still haven't got anything big so I suppose when I do I'll have some mental hurdles to get past.

Someday I hope to find out;)

I'm seriously motivated by the need for a large amount of high quality meat. I can't afford grass fed anything unless I go get it myself.

I'm not ashamed to admit it took a lot of drive and determination to get past the revolting parts of harvesting game.

I still haven't got anything big so I suppose when I do I'll have some mental hurdles to get past.

Someday I hope to find out;)
I wish you luck!!

Well if ya drove a bit better or safer....:eek: :D
Andy

It actually got a bit boring until we started naming the animals during the summer.:p

One morning we were waiting for first light and my buddy asked me who ya gonna drop this year? I replied "Spanky", sure enough right at first shooting time ole Spanky and Rufas stepped into the clearing and 3...2...1... BangBang, our season was over.....:s0140:

Now we can get some Kings and Coho this fall!!!;)

It actually got a bit boring until we started naming the animals during the summer.:p

One morning we were waiting for first light and my buddy asked me who ya gonna drop this year? I replied "Spanky", sure enough right at first shooting time ole Spanky and Rufas stepped into the clearing and 3...2...1... BangBang, our season was over.....:s0140:

Now we can get some Kings and Coho this fall!!!;)

That's the dream:s0155:

Wife says when we get property that I can hunt all I want if I build a hunting cabin on the far end away from the house. I can't wait...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top