JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just caught the "John Day" reference....
John Day was a mountain man who got bit by a rabid wolf and or gone crazy... and wandered off and died....
If it wasn't a true story ...his tale would read like a Hemingway novel...:eek::D
Andy

Just caught the "John Day" reference....
John Day was a mountain man who got bit by a rabid wolf and or gone crazy... and wandered off and died....
If it wasn't a true story ...his tale would read like a Hemingway novel...:eek::D
Andy

I thought he was a golfer with a huge swing!!! Recently got disqualified in UK for riding in a cart.

Do you use "bow silencers"...these are bits of fur or material , you can thread into your bow string dampen the noise...also wood arrows and real feathers seem quieter...
I don't seem to hear much noise when shooting my traditional ( wood stick and string ) bow
Andy
Yes, have both string dampeners as well as frame dampeners installed (Matthews compound bow). There's some stuff I thought I'd try too, but it hasn't been a priority.
On the arrows, I don't fletch them myself, and they are goose feathers. Out of 12 arrows, two fly funny (corkscrew) one is noisy, and another one is also noisy because I damaged it with another arrow (two in the same hole).

bbbass;
I've been up in the Strawberry's east side over that fire two years later, not too much except a few weeds. The real suprise was a crunchy feel(noisy) as you walked over it. That fire got as hot as I have ever seen a forest fire. It was a muzzleloader elk hunt around Oct.18; listened to the World Series at my small camp fire at night on the top of a ridge top of Reynolds Creek. In the dark a small herd of elk (5) came up the fire road right to my camp then spooked down and out.

Going through hunting gear....sorting through ammo...touching up the edge of a knife or two....
I can't wait till the 1st...LOL

Granddad's gun goes out every opening day , weather permitting...
Its a 1962 Wingmaster in 20 gauge and a modified choke....#6 and #7 1/2 shot...grouse and rabbits ( if any are of good size ) will be my goal.
Andy

The ones with no luck, may I suggest you try to hunt deer and elk in the same unit.
I always try for same unit and use deer season as scouting trip. For me deer Is just for fun time. be out with the boys, go fishing and hunting and little whiskey by the camp fire.

I'm probably 1 for 10 on deer season.
Lol. I know pathetic.
But 6-10 on elk.

I'm jonesing for deer this year. My boy is going to be with me so I hope we get some blood on our knives.

Last Edited:
So August 1st , bear season starts here in Washington...which in turn gets me thinking 'bout hunting season in general.
I myself look forward to September 1st and the start of Small Game Season....that means that I can go out after grouse , my favorite game to hunt.

Be that as it may....To all you hunters here on the forum...
I wish all of you a safe and successful hunting season this year .
Andy
Thank you Andy.
If things work out, I may get the privilege of hunting with my brother this year.
First time we'd have done that in, maybe, 40 years.
...I know, I know....'bout time.
You and I may have to stalk some Grouse together this year, as well, Andy.
Either way, Good luck to you, too.

Dean

I haven't done deer in 5 years now. Just squirrels, rabbits, and an occasional grouse. Look forward to fall and walking the woods. Might not get a whole lot of hunting in, but when I get the chance, I enjoy it.

This is why going duck hunting might be a challenge for me. I am keeping an open mind, but I look at this bunny and I don't think fry it up. I think this bunny was on its way somewhere and now it ain't. And then I'm showing a house today and what do I find in the back yard... his buddy and it wouldn't stop starring at me! How do you find your focus?

This is why going duck hunting might be a challenge for me. I am keeping an open mind, but I look at this bunny and I don't think fry it up. I think this bunny was on its way somewhere and now it ain't. And then I'm showing a house today and what do I find in the back yard... his buddy and it wouldn't stop starring at me! How do you find your focus?
Everything(Critter wise) is going somewhere in the Woods; but then so is the Cow, Pig, Sheep, Lamp etc. in the Pen or out On the Range before they show up on your Plate for a Meal. Personally, I have always figured that having something of a hand getting IT there is worth the time and effort. I just wish I could do more. Right now, I'm not even in a position to help bringing IT home from the Grocery Store and that's the Pits!

I'm not a "Backyard Hunter" but ONLY because my "Backyard" is in the City!

This year my goal is to shoot a deer and an elk. going to have company in the form of a buddy of mine who I am taking hunting this season for his first hunt ever. Going to go on the weekends when school is out and football is not going on. Going to carry bear and cougar tags as well. Not sure yet if I will go with my bow or the lever gun my buddy offered to let me borrow. Gotta decide soon.

This was helpful. Gross on some videos. I'm not sure this is in my wheelhouse. It's good to learn it here and not in the field.
It's ok Yvette.
Some of us are hunters. Some of us are target shooters.
Either is just fine.
Good luck overcoming any evils that are weighing on you.

Dean

It's ok Yvette.
Some of us are hunters. Some of us are target shooters.
Either is just fine.
Good luck overcoming any evils that are weighing on you.

Dean
I respect the entire circle of life and Everyone that enjoys hunting, i was honestly surprised that i can barely watch some of the YouTube videos without gagging. I thought I had a stronger stomach than that. :s0152: To all of you hunters out there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top