JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A week or so ago I fired a box of remanufactered .38 special through a gun for which there exists a lifetime warranty. It's exceedingly rare for me to shoot remanufactured ammo, and each time there's always that subtle fear that something is more likely to go wrong than with new factory ammo... and... if something does go wrong (kaboom) the gun manufacturer will argue that warranty coverage was voided when I fired the reloaded ammo.

Fortunately nothing went wrong, but it made a question (or several) occur to me: Supposing something did go wrong (and I were more unscrupulous than I actually am), how would they ever know? Would they just take my word for it? Are there cost-effective ways for them to tell if a kaboom (or other damage) was caused by the gun or the ammo? Or is it scientifically possible to tell somehow but it isn't worth their trouble/money so they'd just as soon send you a new gun?

I would say if you had a kaboom type incident, they are definitely going to question what kind of ammo you were shooting. Especially since overloaded cartridges in factory ammo are pretty much non existent with todays manufacturing processes.

BTW, remanufactured ammo is different from reloads. Reloads are done by individuals and remanufactured is done by, well...a manufacturer.

I would say if you had a kaboom type incident, they are definitely going to question what kind of ammo you were shooting. Especially since overloaded cartridges in factory ammo are pretty much non existent with todays manufacturing processes.

That's certainly true, but the hypothetical dishonest contention would not be that the new factory ammo was overloaded, but that the firearm must have been defective.

Gunpowder and other explosives contain what are called "Tagents". The Tagents in the powder that reloaders use is different than what is found in the powder used by manufacturer.

BTW, remanufactured ammo is different from reloads. Reloads are done by individuals and remanufactured is done by, well...a manufacturer.

Point taken. My assumption was that "remanufactured" meant it was probably reloaded by an outfit more professional than some guy in his garage but not necessarily as professional and well-equipped as those that make factory new ammo.

Not trying to be the moral police but if you know you are doing the wrong thing, why would you cover it up to get warranty coverage ? I an not saying I am perfect( far from it), but I read hey if I do something on purpose to violate my warranty and me doing so screws up my gun how can I get away with it and have my warranty cover it without them knowing? Thats what I read.... correct me if I am wrong.

Again not saying I am perfect, but I also didn't post in a forum asking about this.
If I was a gun manufacturer reading this, I would think, and go and gun owners wonder why we are so damn picky about warranty work......this is why.

Not trying to be the moral police but if you know you are doing the wrong thing, why would you cover it up to get warranty coverage ? I an not saying I am perfect( far from it), but I read hey if I do something on purpose to violate my warranty and me doing so screws up my gun how can I get away with it and have my warranty cover it without them knowing? Thats what I read.... correct me if I am wrong.

Again not saying I am perfect, but I also didn't post in a forum asking about this.
If I was a gun manufacturer reading this, I would think, and go and gun owners wonder why we are so damn picky about warranty work......this is why.

Please save the (self) righteous outrage, I obviously did state I would never do this, my interest in the question is purely scientific in the same way people who have no interest in committing a crime love those "Forensic Files" type shows. If something happens to my gun and it's my fault I would accept responsibility for it plain and simple. The question comes from that fact that while I wouldn't do this, surely there are many people out there who would, and I'm interested if and how a manufacturer weeds them out.

So, yes, you read it wrong, try again.

Last Edited:
Most of the time when something goes wrong with a gun, it's not terribly hard to figure out the cause. Most often blowups are caused by double charged reloads.

On the other hand a legitimate defect is often not hard to determine either. From what I've seen most manufacturers will own up to a legitimate defect, reloads or not. A friend had a Taurus pistol with a cracked frame. We contacted Taurus and they replaced it with a new gun, no questions asked. It was clearly a manufacturing defect not related to ammo.

Personally I don't shoot anything but reloads. I've wasted very little money on factory ammo in my life. I guess a warranty just isn't terribly important to me. :)

Please save the (self) righteous outrage, I obviously did state I would never do this, my interest in the question is purely scientific in the same way people who have no interest in committing a crime love those "Forensic Files" type shows. If something happens to my gun and it's my fault I would accept responsibility for it plain and simple. The question comes from that fact that while I wouldn't do this, surely there are many people out there who would, and I'm interested if and how a manufacturer weeds them out.

So, yes, you read it wrong, try again.

Good luck brother, in case you were not aware its up to all of us to hold each other accountable,
I don't know you have no idea whats your moral compass, and based on your reaction to the simple question I am not convinced the motive of the question as you state, and yes there is a way to tell if its been tampered with but I don't think anyone is going to reveal how that's identified as some may not be on that moral high ground you are. Have a Great Evening there Brother.

Are not many handguns "proofed" by the manufacturer?

Many years back when I still worked at Larry's we had a customer bring in a S&W revolver with the top strap and top of the cylinder blown off. He of course claimed it defective.

The cylinder still had five live rounds in it. We were able to hammer the cylinder open to get at them and then dissected one of them. It appeared to be a cocktail of at least two different powders, possibly more.

The owner admitted to having bought the ammo at a garage sale. :confused:

E

Last Edited:
Good luck brother, in case you were not aware its up to all of us to hold each other accountable,
I don't know you have no idea whats your moral compass, and based on your reaction to the simple question I am not convinced the motive of the question as you state, and yes there is a way to tell if its been tampered with but I don't think anyone is going to reveal how that's identified as some may not be on that moral high ground you are. Have a Great Evening there Brother.

Well, I suppose you could look at my profile... I do have nearly 70 positive feedbacks on this site and not one person has had so little as a neutral (much less negative) experience with me. That would certainly suggest I am a man of my word and not one to pull fast one. Is there a prescribed way to respond when one's credibility is called into in question?

did the warranty say do not shoot remanufactured ammo?

I did say I'm not referring to an actual situation, but the framing of the question implied a given manufacturer did specify not to. I'm thinking if there were a manufacturer whose warranty didn't have a blurb about reloads, they wouldn't worry beyond taking someone's word for it anyways.

Well, I suppose you could look at my profile... I do have nearly 70 positive feedbacks on this site and not one person has had so little as a neutral (much less negative) experience with me. That would certainly suggest I am a man of my word and not one to pull fast one. Is there a prescribed way to respond when one's credibility is called into in question?

Well quite honestly doesn't matter anything to me, why I know sites like this have that setup for a reason it doesn't mean squat to me personally and is why I asked what I did. I said I wasn't perfect and also said correct me if I was wrong and you went on a tyrant I am sure many here love you and your deals and thats great how that relates to what you do for yourself. I also knew you wouldn't let it rest and that alone tells me enough and all I need to know. Me, I could care less who likes me or not at my age I don't care about likes and friends online it means nothing.
I have known some very honest people and some good people and none I would want taking up my six, morality in my book goes allot deeper then likes on a forum but if that woks for you thats awesome. As I said have your self a great evening there brother.

I did say I'm not referring to an actual situation, but the framing of the question implied a given manufacturer did specify not to. I'm thinking if there were a manufacturer whose warranty didn't have a blurb about reloads, they wouldn't worry beyond taking someone's word for it anyways.
I am asking about your gun's warranty. There are 2 choices if they did say that. don't do it or forget about warranty. I wouldn't do something that make me losing my sleep. There are people who will do it but it seems not many like that in this forum. :)

.Are there cost-effective ways for them to tell if a kaboom (or other damage) was caused by the gun or the ammo?.
The first thing an investigator would do, were you to blow your face off or something, would be to audit your internet history.
Pretty cheap so hey, why not.

Well quite honestly doesn't matter anything to me, why I know sites like this have that setup for a reason it doesn't mean squat to me personally and is why I asked what I did. I said I wasn't perfect and also said correct me if I was wrong and you went on a tyrant I am sure many here love you and your deals and thats great how that relates to what you do for yourself. I also knew you wouldn't let it rest and that alone tells me enough and all I need to know. Me, I could care less who likes me or not at my age I don't care about likes and friends online it means nothing.
I have known some very honest people and some good people and none I would want taking up my six, morality in my book goes allot deeper then likes on a forum but if that woks for you thats awesome. As I said have your self a great evening there brother.

In other words, "I can publicly smear you as a cheat and if you defend yourself you'll only convince me further." Got it... also the word is "tirade" not tyrant.

I am asking about your gun's warranty. There are 2 choices if they did say that. don't do it or forget about warranty. I wouldn't do something that make me losing my sleep. There are people who will do it but it seems not many like that in this forum. :)

And if I personally was in that situation that would be good enough for me... and I wouldn't even have to ask the question. I am merely looking at the question from scientific/technical perspective.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews