JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
150 gr slugs and 4895 powder sounds like a std M2 Ball type load I would pull a few bullets measure the powder and then if it fits the recomended load for an M1 shoot it. but then I been reloading for 50+ years now.

150 gr slugs and 4895 powder sounds like a std M2 Ball type load I would pull a few bullets measure the powder and then if it fits the recomended load for an M1 shoot it. but then I been reloading for 50+ years now.
Good idea, wish I'd though of it. ;) Only 11 years for me.

Lost a really nice Remington 03A3 due to someone shooting a faulty reload in it.
Andy
Your experience specifically is one that has made me much more cautious over the years about shooting other's reloads. Had I ended up with the ammo in question, an abundance of caution would have forced me to pull every last round apart for inspection.

Had it all looked good, I likely would've reused the components, including powder, but only because I'm very familiar with 4895. I would have looked it over and re-measured it. I've done that sort of thing before.

I know nothing about the widow or her financial situation, just an acquaintance of a friend a couple hours away. I'm not out anything but a few minutes of my time. I hadn't even made any plans to drive down there yet, and I have plenty of 30-06 ball ammo for the M1's already, as little as I shoot.

About twenty years ago another friend called me and said that a recently widowed neighbor was moving to a retirement community, and wanted to sell her late husband's reloading stuff. He put me in touch with the nephew who was helping her move. I told him I really didn't need much, but wouldn't mind taking a look at it if they didn't mind.

My wife and I were newly married. I took $200 from my meager cash stash, and told her I couldn't spend more than that, no matter what. In the widows garage, the nephew kept bringing out box after box after box. I finally told him that there was way more value there than I could afford, but out of curiosity, how much did she want for it?

He went in the house and asked her, came back out and said "She said she'd like to get $200."

I think I sprained my wrist reaching for my wallet. I'm not one to take advantage of others, especially a widow, but I did tell her it was worth more, and she set the price.

She could dispose of them by giving to me. I would pull all the projectiles, empty powder into an 8# powder tub and work up accurate loads for my .06
Oh no, no you wouldn't. You would say you would, but you would just shoot them instead, and you would blow up your gun, lose an eye and a couple fingers. Then you would sue the poor widow for everything she has, leaving her destitute living in a cardboard box on the street. At least according to the "expert"… :eek:

Kidding of course. As expensive and hard to find as components are nowadays, it's a real shame to see them thrown away. Gone are the days of pull-down M2 bullets for a nickel apiece, and $8/lb surplus powder. That's what I was paying less than 20 years ago. I was reloading 30-06 rounds for something like 12 cents each. It will hurt when I eventually run out of what I bought back then.

Re-loading , like many other things...is perfectly safe...if done correctly.

I would get into this as well....but I really don't want to spend my time doing so...or setting a space to do so...as well as spend the money on doing so....also like everything else...the price of re-loading and its components have gone up.
Andy

Reloading isn't for everyone. I've helped a number of people get started over the years, and only a very few have kept at it.

It seems to me that those who take up reloading and stay with it tend to be patient, detail oriented people who don't mind spending some time at a new hobby. If you don't have the time (and space) for a new hobby, or you don't enjoy repetitive, detailed work, then reloading most likely isn't your thing, and there's nothing wrong with that.

To be honest, there have been times in recent years when I've thought about giving it up and getting rid of all my gear. I have 30+ years worth of presses, dies, molds, and all the various other bits and pieces, along with plenty of bullets, brass, powder, and primers to reload for many years (I don't shoot high volume, so it's not nearly as much as some of you all have).

I'm just kind of tired of it, burned out a little. I don't want to be hasty though, so I'll give it some time before jettisoning all my stuff. If I still feel this way in a year or two, I'll start thinning it out for sure. I've come to the realization that I could be doing better things with my time.

Reloading isn't for everyone. I've helped a number of people get started over the years, and only a very few have kept at it.

It seems to me that those who take up reloading and stay with it tend to be patient, detail oriented people who don't mind spending some time at a new hobby. If you don't have the time (and space) for a new hobby, or you don't enjoy repetitive, detailed work, then reloading most likely isn't your thing, and there's nothing wrong with that.

To be honest, there have been times in recent years when I've thought about giving it up and getting rid of all my gear. I have 30+ years worth of presses, dies, molds, and all the various other bits and pieces, along with plenty of bullets, brass, powder, and primers to reload for many years (I don't shoot high volume, so it's not nearly as much as some of you all have).

I'm just kind of tired of it, burned out a little. I don't want to be hasty though, so I'll give it some time before jettisoning all my stuff. If I still feel this way in a year or two, I'll start thinning it out for sure. I've come to the realization that I could be doing better things with my time.
If you give it up, you can adopt me first so I will inherit it.... do you need a 58 year old son to leave thing too? :D

If you give it up, you can adopt me first so I will inherit it.... do you need a 58 year old son to leave thing too? :D
That would be a little awkward, since you're older than I am. :)

A large part of my tired lately comes from raising four kids, trying to keep up with three teenagers. In fact today is our youngest's birthday. The baby of the family turns 11, not a baby anymore.

I'm all about the awkward, so no issues here. I'm in it for the inheritance. You didn't say no so I'm taking that as a yes o_O

My oldest grandchildren turned 21 this month.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top