JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend who lives a ways away called me a while back. Seems he knew a widow who was disposing of her late husband's gun stuff. The guns were gone already, and she was down to getting rid of odds and ends.

He asked me what 30-06 ammo was worth. Of course I ask what kind. He sends a photo; it's several .50cal ammo cans full of nice looking ammo in M1 clips, load data neatly labeled on the cans, Hornady 150fmj bullets and H4895 powder. I replied that you have to be careful with unknown reloads and they should be considered "components only", but they're worth pulling down, and the components and clips were certainly valuable. He said if I wanted them, she said she'd sell them really cheap, because she knew they were reloads. Well, I'm not looking for any more gun stuff and don't need to spend any money, but sure, why not?

So fast forward a bit, finally heard back from him. She talked to her "gun expert" about it, someone from the gun club where her husband was a member. He's an authority, you know, on all things gun, ammo, and reloading. He told her to absolutely not sell them, because even if the buyer swore they wouldn't shoot them, they probably would anyhow, then blow up their gun and lose eyes and fingers, and sue her for everything she has. He was adamant about it. She thanked him profusely for saving her from certain doom, and he took the ammo from her, to take to the local police station to be destroyed. Since they weren't "licensed reloads", that's what had to be done, you know. :rolleyes:

Whatever, no big deal. I certainly don't need more gun stuff or new projects that I don't have time for anyhow. If the widow didn't need the money and felt better getting rid of it that way, then that's fine too. I just get a little annoyed by self-proclaimed authorities who push people around with their so-called expertise.

That's a bummer and I'm pretty sure they never made it to "police disposal" like they said they would. Since you know, they won't take it, I've asked before and been told no. Feel bad for her being con like that.

That's a bummer and I'm pretty sure they never made it to "police disposal" like they said they would. Since you know, they won't take it, I've asked before and been told no. Feel bad for her being con like that.
I got the feeling that the guy was probably sincere in what he did (though wrong nevertheless), but I have no way of knowing, so you could be absolutely right. There was some comments about "illegal black-tip bullets" too, but it wasn't clear what that was about, ammo or actual bullets. I got the feeling that one of the cans might not have been reloads, but I wasn't there so I really have no idea.

What a waste, but in some ways I'm glad I didn't get involved. Some people get really weird about stuff like this.

Funny part is black tips are legal but yeah without being there and having more info we don't really know what they did with them. I agree it's a waste cause if they could of been salvaged, others might have gotten use out of the parts.

Pull the projectile. Inspect the powder. Reseat the projectile. Box it and sell it to range customers.
Are there any other powders that are puke-green? :s0144: What a shame. If those were hand loads pulling and re-seating would have been a breeze. Last time I looked a couple weeks ago Cabela's price on America Eagle .30-06 was $2.00/rdn.

I was digging around in my ammo can pile, you know the ones stashed way back under the work bench and found 3 marked 30-06, 7mm Mag and 338 Win Mag. All have ammo in them. I guess I must need more guns after all.

If this guy was as organized as you say: Everything labeled as to bullet, type of powder and load, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot his reloads. :)

Though I do stear clear of "Gun Show" reloads. :rolleyes:

A friend who lives a ways away called me a while back. Seems he knew a widow who was disposing of her late husband's gun stuff. The guns were gone already, and she was down to getting rid of odds and ends.

He asked me what 30-06 ammo was worth. Of course I ask what kind. He sends a photo; it's several .50cal ammo cans full of nice looking ammo in M1 clips, load data neatly labeled on the cans, Hornady 150fmj bullets and H4895 powder. I replied that you have to be careful with unknown reloads and they should be considered "components only", but they're worth pulling down, and the components and clips were certainly valuable. He said if I wanted them, she said she'd sell them really cheap, because she knew they were reloads. Well, I'm not looking for any more gun stuff and don't need to spend any money, but sure, why not?

So fast forward a bit, finally heard back from him. She talked to her "gun expert" about it, someone from the gun club where her husband was a member. He's an authority, you know, on all things gun, ammo, and reloading. He told her to absolutely not sell them, because even if the buyer swore they wouldn't shoot them, they probably would anyhow, then blow up their gun and lose eyes and fingers, and sue her for everything she has. He was adamant about it. She thanked him profusely for saving her from certain doom, and he took the ammo from her, to take to the local police station to be destroyed. Since they weren't "licensed reloads", that's what had to be done, you know. :rolleyes:

Whatever, no big deal. I certainly don't need more gun stuff or new projects that I don't have time for anyhow. If the widow didn't need the money and felt better getting rid of it that way, then that's fine too. I just get a little annoyed by self-proclaimed authorities who push people around with their so-called expertise.
I bet the "police station" was his own reloading room.

It's funny she didn't mind her husband blowing his fingers, face, etc off with his reloads.

I wonder do reloads only blow up when strangers shoot them. If I felt they were that dangerous I wouldn't recommend anybody shoot them including the person who loaded them.

CLT didn't say how wealthy the widow was. Some folk are actually targeted.
A reload in your gun may be a KB in mine. I think @Andy54Hawken can comment from experience.
Gun Chambers Matter.

I was in a gun shop when the police stopped in, asking the shop owner if they would like the reloading components an old gent dropped off at their station. The owner said "no thanks."
Being the cheap bastige that I am, I piped up and chatted with the officers.
When I got there, they had me wait in the parking lot. Out rolls a large cart loaded with stuff: ~250# of lead shot, 500 12 gauge hulls, bags and bags of 7/8 & 1 oz wads, and 3k primers. Not long after, a member here gave away a complete Mec Jr.
Thats when I dove headlong into shotshell reloading.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top