JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When you have a huge kaboom and they request the parts leftover and determine a CCI primer is in a Winchester headstand and Winchester says that's not a factory load.

If your gun blows up and the manufacturer determines it's ammo related, they don't care if it was reloads or not; they won't cover it. It's on you to pursue the issue with the ammo manufacturer.

When a gun blows up it's typically either ammo related or operator error, like an obstructed barrel.

keep a handful of spent factory loads. problem solved.
Does a case deform the same way in a legitimate kaboom as it does under normal firing? If morality isn't good enough for you, consider that whoever investigates the warrantee claim may well know the answer to that question and more. There's more than one reason for the phrase "Honesty is the best policy". ;)

There's a lot of myth about gun warranties and reloads. The reason they say no reloads is because bad reloads are responsible for nearly all gun blowups.

Has anyone here had a legitimate warranty issue (not related to ammo), and been asked if you had at any time ever fired reloads in it? I would be more concerned about the quality of the reloads than whether they'll void the warranty.

Under any but the most extreme or unusual circumstances, nobody is going to be forensically examining the remains for tagants or researching your internet history. If your S&W blows up and S&W determines it was ammo that did it, you then take that remaining half box of Winchester ammo and contact Winchester. THEY might do some forensic examining of the remains to determine that their ammo was really at fault.

One possible way would be to look for the owner's confession in a gun forum. :rolleyes:

To whom it may concern: I shoot reloads of my own manufacture through all of my guns. :)

My most recent new gun (it's been a couple years) has never seen a single factory loaded round, unless you count a half box of WWII GI ball .45 acp and a few rounds from WWI. I wonder if 100 year old ammo will void a warranty?

I made stuffs and I know exactly how they fail. Nobody can lie to me. However, I will help those who are honest and tell me what they did wrong. People who lied will pay full repair cost.

To whom it may concern: I shoot reloads of my own manufacture through all of my guns. :)

My most recent new gun (it's been a couple years) has never seen a single factory loaded round, unless you count a half box of WWII GI ball .45 acp and a few rounds from WWI. I wonder if 100 year old ammo will void a warranty?

If done carefully, reloads are just as good as factory. Reloads are only as good as the man reloading them. :)

Did a little digging as this subject got me curious. Congress mandated after the OKC bombing that explosives contain taggants buuut exempted gun powder. I found articles dating back to the Boston bombings by NPR whiners that investigators could have foynd the perps quicker if the gun powder used contained taggants. That logic falls flat, given the taggants are not supernatural, and cannot warn of precrime.

So it seems that taggant use is voluntary, and not all gun powders contain them. And that makes liberals and cops piss themselves, it seems.

I also found an NRA article from 1999 on the subject, and an independant study commissioned during the Clunton admin recommended against inclusion in gun powders at the time because they were unreliable and unfeasible to incorporate at the time. Of course thats almost 20 years ago and tech has really changed.

More disturbing though, is what else taggants are used in, and the possibilities therein.

They are used in various forms - ie specific unique chemical combinations, nanoplastics, and RFID type devices and placed in animal feed, drugs, textiles, explosives, and electronics. They can literally be incorporated into anything and everything and everything thusly can be traced back to its source. Big Brother crap right there.

The benefits are high in some regards, but the negatives are downright scary.

I would bet that a larger percentage of kabooms happen with a un-noticed squib followed by another round...versus a double-charged round.

By the way, being a good reloader is a great way to never experience a squib or a double charge. There are ways to prevent both.

I would bet that a larger percentage of kabooms happen with a un-noticed squib followed by another round...versus a double-charged round.

By the way, being a good reloader is a great way to never experience a squib or a double charge. There are ways to prevent both.

I'd bet the opposite.

Squibs blow barrels, double charges blow receivers. Typically. And with semi autos squibs don't cycle the slide. So, unless it's a wheel gunner who doesn't notice, I'd think most are from double charged or at least over charged hand loads.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top