JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been on and off for a couple of years now. Just got back on the wagon a week ago and I'm really trying to stick with it this time. My first goal is to drop 30lbs. (230lbs to 200lbs) while preserving as much muscle as possible, and I'd like to accomplish this by mid-October. I'm eating clean, running a caloric deficit, doing 35-45 minutes of cardio per day, and beginning to lift again. So far my motivation has been pretty high, some days I do cardio in the morning then again at night, or cardio in the morning and lift at night, though I'm careful to not overdo it.

What about you?

I try to live an active lifestyle, but it seems that obligations, timing, and family can be a real barrier.
I surf avidly, and when the surfs good and I get a little window away from responsibilities, the flab melts away and the muscle builds fast.
My occupation is as a climbing arborist, so my job is pretty physical, but the career ladder has me in a training position, which is good, but I do a lot more pointing and telling than doing.
My wife is a pretty committed runner. I started running 2 miles a day, and was really in the habit. It was part of a training program to get myself ready for the West Coast Tactical Steel Safari match. I ran to work once, 6 miles, and really liked it. I haven't run in about a month... maybe this thread is a sign.
The positive effects of running for me cannot be overstated. My shooting improved, and so did my surfing... but I found it was a good break mentally, too. No phones, no kids, no questions or clients, no turn signals...

I hope I can run again. My left knee has had problems in the past, but I think it's close to 100% now. Because of that I've been relegated to low impact machines, either an elliptical or a bike.

This is an excellent thread. And just to bring it around to firearms....

I see a LOT of very overweight, out of shape gun owners supposedly preparing to survive the coming SHTF scenarios. They do so by stocking up on guns and ammo and eating cheeseburgers. And I think to myself, hmm, you might be good at defending whatever location you happen to be in. But mobility is almost always the key to winning any engagement, and if you find yourself in that situation, you are toast. Fat and slow = easy target.

It's like preparing for SHTF scenarios by stocking up on guns, ammo, and mags without stocking up on food and other necessities. Not that anyone here would fit the bill, but I'm suspicious that some people are gun enthusiasts seeking to rationalize their passion for firearms with fantasies about armageddon. They'll likely fall by the wayside pretty quickly if the SHTF. Nothing wrong with being a gun enthusiast in its own right, or a collector. But if you are seriously overweight and/or out of shape, consider whether you are really ready for a SHTF scenario.

This is an excellent thread. And just to bring it around to firearms....

I see a LOT of very overweight, out of shape gun owners supposedly preparing to survive the coming SHTF scenarios. They do so by stocking up on guns and ammo and eating cheeseburgers. And I think to myself, hmm, you might be good at defending whatever location you happen to be in. But mobility is almost always the key to winning any engagement, and if you find yourself in that situation, you are toast. Fat and slow = easy target.

It's like preparing for SHTF scenarios by stocking up on guns, ammo, and mags without stocking up on food and other necessities. Not that anyone here would fit the bill, but I'm suspicious that some people are gun enthusiasts seeking to rationalize their passion for firearms with fantasies about armageddon. They'll likely fall by the wayside pretty quickly if the SHTF. Nothing wrong with being a gun enthusiast in its own right, or a collector. But if you are seriously overweight and/or out of shape, consider whether you are really ready for a SHTF scenario.

=======================================

:huh:

The question was do you work out regulary.

My answer is no, but I do have a physical job, and that helps keep the weight down.:s0155:

I currently lead a very active lifestyle and consequently I must work out regularly to maintain the lifestyle. I'll give you a run down of my week...

Monday night: Basketball 2 hours and 30 minute run
Tuesday night: 1 Softball game and 20 minute run
Wednesday night: 3 Softball games and 20 minute run
Thursday night: 2 Softball games and 20 minute run
Friday: 9 holes of golf or 8 hours of dirtbike riding. (Depending on weather)
Friday night: 2 softball games

Having recently had major knee surgery this summer has been rough, I'm +20 lbs from my "ideal" weight. As a result I'm quite a bit slower than I'd like to be. The surgery has required me to be more active to attempt to build strength in the knee. Slow process... I don't suggest it for anyone.

I have terrible eating habits that keep me from gaining any ground on that +20 lbs... being single and constantly going from activity to activity creates a dependence on fast food. Anyone have any hot single females who are willing to cook me healthy food?

If I were using a stationary machine I'd use an elliptical over a treadmill. I can't stand running indoors :D

I 'm +30 from where I want to be also. Stress at work, being overly busy, and being married is hard on the waistline. Not to mention a bad back and knee, makes it harder to get into those active sports again.

I keep thinking I'll get back there, but so far it's just trying to eat healthier.

Anyone tried colon cleansing? I hear you can drop a few lbs just by cleaning all that fast food sludge out of your intestines.

I 'm +30 from where I want to be also. Stress at work, being overly busy, and being married is hard on the waistline. Not to mention a bad back and knee, makes it harder to get into those active sports again.

I keep thinking I'll get back there, but so far it's just trying to eat healthier.

Anyone tried colon cleansing? I hear you can drop a few lbs just by cleaning all that fast food sludge out of your intestines.

===================================================

Yea I tried that last winter, lost about 8 pounds but the weight came right back. They called it colonoscopy.:eek:

Hah! :p

I think I've almost gained enough weight (lost muscle, really) that I'll have the motivation to start exercising, but I'm not there yet. I have good intentions, and I always want to but then I end up not doing it. No excuse, other than being a lazy butt!
Thankfully, really all I have to do is re-tone my muscle. I'm flabby, but not chunky yet, so if I make some muscle, I'll be almost good to go!:s0155:

My motivation to workout, besides my career, is viewing my life in thirty years. It's not always about now, but about your future lifestyle, I believe! Most of my friends are fit. You might think many of them are in fantastic shape, yet their circulatory system says otherwise.

I workout regularly, the time I injured my knee during training with a heavy caloric intake amounted to me gaining thirty pounds. Since then, I just put one less scoop on my plate, loaded my servings with more vegetables and cut back on the simple carbs in the evening. It took about four months for me to feel and look better.

I know a lot of us want to see results instantly... Stop that thinking. Baby steps are the key to success. Those of you who have busy lives, try changing one thing, like no more fast food. Eat the bad stuff in the morning or afternoon and preserve dinner for more veges or fruit.

Anyways, didn't mean to go on. Just change one thing and you'll see improvements.
~Mike

Joey-

I spent 10 minutes typing about Kettlebells, but I timed out and lost my long answer discussing KB. Google it. Research it. There is alot to read.

This is an ancient Russian workout that burns fat and builds muscle, but the long muscle fibers are fired (think swimmers. long distance bicyclists all endurance sports) and is what is utilized under stress. Body builders aren't worth a squirt in the field, they seem to fall out.

Check out the sight: http://www.getpowerbell.com/advantage.html

I will answer more questions to the benefits of Kettlebell training, just PM me.

My story: In three weeks I lost 3" off my waist but only lost 2 lbs. This does build muscle but the lean muscle.

I am ending my post before I time out again.

SF-

Follow up to the above post: the only reason why i stopped using Kettlebell was my back. I had a herniated L5-S1. Just had major surg and once I heal I am back to it. It is an awesome workout!

SF-

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads