JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If.

Maybe.

Probably.

Having loaded mags means you can return more sustained fire in a given period of time.

Might you be overrun by "zombies"? Maybe. But I am betting that if that happens, I won't be saying "gee, I have too many guns, mags and ammo - I wish I had spent that money on a vacation instead".

If I am besieged by gov forces - yes, probably not going to make a difference. In which case, so what? :s0092:

There have been times when I have said "I wish I had bought more of these mags or ammo when I could", but never the opposite. I hope I never have to use them in a firefight, but if I do I am not going to regret having too many guns, mags or ammo.

YMMV
Amen!:s0155:

And FWIW - 9 SIG pistols is probably too many - but maybe not. If half my family shows up on my doorstep when SHTF, nine SIG pistols will probably not be enough.

Who can predict the future? Who five years ago could have said "in 2020 we are going to have a global pandemic, people will be panic buying guns/ammo and toilet paper, there will be riots in the streets for months and there will be murder hornets"?

BTW - if you have mags still in their wrappers, I suggest you run a couple of full loads thru them to make sure they work. I learned, to my chagrin, that some mags and/or guns, don't feed well, in part due to the mags.

Hindsight is a killer. Wish, woulda, coulda. Time machine.

Just get what you can. Mags mean less if they are dropping bombs on you.

Some can carry more physically, some feel secure in knowing they have enough. I am glad I have one magazine.

BTW - if you have mags still in their wrappers, I suggest you run a couple of full loads thru them to make sure they work. I learned, to my chagrin, that some mags and/or guns, don't feed well, in part due to the mags.

Not even a concern, they will be vetted prior to be putting into rotation if and when the time comes to unwrap them. Plenty others out of the wrapper.

Pre-election 15-20
Post-election 5-10
Room to trade sell.

5-6 in realistically is a solid number so long as you aren't depending on polymer mags.
(I have my own personal grievances with them BUT I still own quite a few though Ive broke a bit of them.)

It's not about "extended shootouts" it''s about having mags for life. Mags are a consumable item, they wear out, they break, they get lost, whatever. When the king decides to snap his fingers and mags are no longer available or are cost prohibitive it is nice to have gone "overboard" and have plenty of mags on hand. Personally, I have dozens of mags still in the wrapper.
EXACTLY. Those spare mags hold value and can always be sold/traded later.
I hope I NEVER get in a sustained firefight. My issue is more about bans (state or national) and my inability to obtain more down the road. I figure if I have enough to last me, I can sell and trade what I dont want or need down the road.

Lots of good advice already given.

My recommendation is if you run the gun monthly or less keep four magazines in rotation, and if you run the gun weekly or more often keep at least eight or more magazines, and clean them!

Good shooting :D

If.

Maybe.

Probably.
This reminds me of the stories of how the Spartans used to reply to the emissaries of their enemies. Brilliant!

Re the OP's question, I run about 9 or 10 AR-platform rifles and pistols, and have about 90 mags available for them.
Of those 90-odd mags, ~50 or so are 30-rd'ers split about evenly between polymer and steel, a dozen polymer 40-rd'ers, and the rest 20-rd'ers, with most of those steel.
For my EDC guns, I rotate between a cool dozen for each pistol.
For everything else in the safe, I run a minimum of 3 and a max of a half dozen.
I think it's enough. YMMV...

Last Edited:
Right. It's the Indian, not the arrow. This is why @Andy54Hawken uses a freaking spear!

lol
Yeah...but its only a "standard capacity" spear...
However I do have high standards....:D

As for magazines I have two...
Muzzleloader and Muzzle Blasts....:D

In regards as to an actual answer...
It would depend.
If say the rifle is a AR15....where the magazines are subject to being banned or restricted as to capacity....then buy lots of them.

If its a older .22 rifle...then maybe buy lots...as they may be be difficult to get , especially if it is a discontinued rifle.

What is "lots"...more than a few ....but less than a truckload....:D
Buy what you can afford or what you feel comfortable with .
Andy

Yeah...but its only a "standard capacity" spear...
However I do have high standards....:D

As for magazines I have two...
Muzzleloader and Muzzle Blasts....:D

In regards as to an actual answer...
It would depend.
If say the rifle is a AR15....where the magazines are subject to being banned or restricted as to capacity....then buy lots of them.

If its a older .22 rifle...then maybe buy lots...as they maybe be difficult to get , especially if it is a discontinued rifle.

What is "lots"...more than a few ....but less than a truckload....:D
Buy what you can afford or what you feel comfortable with .
Andy
Less than a truckload? You sure that is enough?

I am not "comfortable" with any new gun until I have around 10. Now for those that are over 10 rounds? Then it's of course more as they are forever wanting to do away with them again. Like so many things the normal person is never going to wear one out if properly cared for. If you use them enough the spring may have to be replaced some day but even that seems hard to do. I have some 1911 mags that are older than me that never cause a problem. So lay in some when you can. Bad time of course to try now. So if you want them at "normal price" you would have to really shop around for many now. The one downside to the full capacity that are over 10 is the law may one day just tell you to give them up. So many gun owners either don't care or just keep their head in the sand as new laws keep going in. So you have to think about that when buying them. That one day the place you live may just pass a law that tells you, you can't have them any more. :(:mad:

I have around 80 PMags and probably around 30 G17 mags.

And I'm always looking for good deals on more. :D

Whatever the number of magazines, you need enough ammo to load them at least once.
I need a lot more ammo.

I have a lot of magazines
I'm not allowed to load, only prep brass
Steve takes inventory, several times a day.

For self-defense firearms: Ten minimum for each firearm - six for carry, four more spares.

For hunting firearms - three minimum, two for hunting (one in the firearm, one extra for reloading), one for spare.

For some firearms I have, I have met those requirements, for others, not. Still working on it.

I have spent quite a bit for mags the last year or two, including for ten round mags for various semi-auto pistols should laws be put in place for carry/possession/buying of "high cap" mags. For some of my pistols, like the SIG 227, high cap mags (14 rd) have become unobtanium (or very expensive) and only 10 rd mags are available. For many of my SIGs, the mags interchange to a degree.
I'm with @The Heretic on this, carry guns get a minimum of 10 magazines, preferably a dozen for each carry gun.

Longer guns, used for self defense, that numbers starts at around 30 each...

Buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep...

First question to ask yourself... "Do I live in a free state?"

If you live in either Oregon and Washington, the answer to that question is "no." Accordingly you have 3-7 years before your state is fully Californicated. And you should be working to secure enough mags to last you the rest of your life if you intend on staying put.

Additionally, if there is ANYTHING else you want/need...semi auto rifles, suppressors, etc...you should be working to secure those sooner rather than later. If you need any help figuring out what the left intends to ban, you can look to places like California and New York for guidance.

This includes ammo too. We have seen MULTIPLE significant ammo shortages in the last 5-7 years. We're also seeing a gun shortage right now due to plague and riots. If there is something that you NEED ("wants" are different), you should be working to secure it sooner rather than later.

If you live in Idaho, pay very close attention to what is happening in your state...particularly in Boise. If Boise becomes another Seattle or Portland, Idaho's freedom days are numbered too.

Good luck!

WOLVERINES!

pmags.jpg pmags.jpg pmags.jpg pmags.jpg
pmags.jpg
pmags.jpg
pmags.jpg
pmags.jpg
pmags.jpg
pmags.jpg
pmags.jpg
pmags.jpg
pmags.jpg