JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Extremely subjective question, I know.

I think it depends highly on the purpose/use for each firearm and the potential future availability of said magazine. I've been through a few magazine shortages/scares going back to the 90's and have never felt like I didn't have enough, though I have very modest amounts.

I probably have around a couple dozen AR-15 magazines for three ARs. I rarely shoot them and if normal capacity mags were outlawed tomorrow, I feel like I have enough for the rest of my lifetime.

Each of my Glocks has a minimum of 5 magazines each, since I shot them in GSSF and you needed 5 loaded mags for a match.

I have only three magazines for each of my normal carry pistols. But, they all have a capacity of 10, which seems to be the magic number for the gun grabbers to get uppity about, so I don't see a shortage or ban on them anytime soon. And with P365 mags going for $45 each, stocking up on those is quite cost prohibitive.

Since my Extar is a likely bug-out gun for extreme scenarios, I have tried to start to get a decent supply of the Glock 33 round magazines for it and have only four. Just ordered another one. Will order another one next paycheck, as long as they are available.

So, interested in how many magazines different folks feel are enough for each firearm. Three? Five? Ten? Twenty?

It all depends on your point of view. Magazines are a consumable. They get damaged, worn out and/or lost. So, if you are prepping for societal collapse or zombie apocalypse I recommend having dozens of mags per gun, because if SHTF, OR legislation bans standard capacity magazines, you may never be able to replace those lost, worn out or damaged magazines.
If you aren't worried about the end of the world/ magazine bans then a couple magazines per gun will suffice

It all depends on your point of view. Magazines are a consumable. They get damaged, worn out and/or lost. So, if you are prepping for societal collapse or zombie apocalypse I recommend having dozens of mags per gun, because if SHTF, OR legislation bans standard capacity magazines, you may never be able to replace those lost, worn out or damaged magazines.
If you aren't worried about the end of the world/ magazine bans then a couple magazines per gun will suffice

This.

Stressing magazines as consumables. Firearms used less, don't need as many consumables, those used more MAY need more.

Also, buying a mag or 2 when you go to your local gun shop is a great way to support them that doesn't break your bank. So own lots of magazines :s0023:

Everything except human life is consumable. How many mags? Impossible to accurately answer. But ... to pick an non accurate answer .... at least 10;, perhaps a dozen per weapon. Remember the guns are also throw a ways in certain situations. Also vehicles, homes and all thoughts of modern civilization.

Bummer view point.

For self-defense firearms: Ten minimum for each firearm - six for carry, four more spares.

For hunting firearms - three minimum, two for hunting (one in the firearm, one extra for reloading), one for spare.

For some firearms I have, I have met those requirements, for others, not. Still working on it.

I have spent quite a bit for mags the last year or two, including for ten round mags for various semi-auto pistols should laws be put in place for carry/possession/buying of "high cap" mags. For some of my pistols, like the SIG 227, high cap mags (14 rd) have become unobtanium (or very expensive) and only 10 rd mags are available. For many of my SIGs, the mags interchange to a degree.

I tend to "buy low" and have found deals on Gunbroker, etc. Or just buy when they're reasonably priced and available. So over the years I've accumulated a lot of magazines. That's worked out particularly well with some guns where mags have gotten insanely expensive over the years (Sig P225, for example).

To directly answer your questions, my own number is a minimum of five per handgun; ten if they're affordable and available. Same with 5-10 bolt-action or semi-auto rifle magazines per firearm if they're normally detachable.

Each of my Glocks has a minimum of 5 magazines each, since I shot them in GSSF and you needed 5 loaded mags for a match.

To directly answer your questions, my own number is a minimum of five per handgun; ten if they're affordable and available. Same with 5-10 bolt-action or semi-auto rifle magazines per firearm if they're normally detachable.

I often hear five as a minimum number of mags per pistol, my thoughts are for a bare bones minimum of six mags. That gives you two rotations of one in the gun and two spares.

Here's my view. As a civilian, you're not likely to be involved in an extended shoot-out. Like Fire Base Mary Ann or Fallujia. If things get dicey, and a group comes after your home, when you start shooting back, they will do one of two things. They will retreat and you won't need all those mags. Or they will swarm and overpower you and you also won't need all those mags. If you're getting ready for a stand-off with forces of an evil government, they will always outnumber you so a large quantity of mags won't make any difference. I just don't see how a big stash of mags will make a difference in any foreseeable situation. If you've got quantity five per piece, you're probably overstocked.

In my experience, there are a lot of gun people who tend to go overboard. Including myself but I've lately come to the realization that I'm not going to live to be 150 years old and don't need to have as big of a stockpile as I'd once thought.

Just within the past few days, I've been reviewing my stash of M1A/M14, AR10 and AR15 mags. Probably will weed some out.

Here's my view. As a civilian, you're not likely to be involved in an extended shoot-out. Like Fire Base Mary Ann or Fallujia. If things get dicey, and a group comes after your home, when you start shooting back, they will do one of two things. They will retreat and you won't need all those mags. Or they will swarm and overpower you and you also won't need all those mags. If you're getting ready for a stand-off with forces of an evil government, they will always outnumber you so a large quantity of mags won't make any difference. I just don't see how a big stash of mags will make a difference in any foreseeable situation. If you've got quantity five per piece, you're probably overstocked.

In my experience, there are a lot of gun people who tend to go overboard. Including myself but I've lately come to the realization that I'm not going to live to be 150 years old and don't need to have as big of a stockpile as I'd once thought.

Just within the past few days, I've been reviewing my stash of M1A/M14, AR10 and AR15 mags. Probably will weed some out.

It's not about "extended shootouts" it''s about having mags for life. Mags are a consumable item, they wear out, they break, they get lost, whatever. When the king decides to snap his fingers and mags are no longer available or are cost prohibitive it is nice to have gone "overboard" and have plenty of mags on hand. Personally, I have dozens of mags still in the wrapper.

I just don't see how a big stash of mags will make a difference in any foreseeable situation. If you've got quantity five per piece, you're probably overstocked.

I thought whoever had the most mags won some sort of a prize! How disappointing. :(

Last Edited:

If.

Maybe.

Probably.

Having loaded mags means you can return more sustained fire in a given period of time.

Might you be overrun by "zombies"? Maybe. But I am betting that if that happens, I won't be saying "gee, I have too many guns, mags and ammo - I wish I had spent that money on a vacation instead".

If I am besieged by gov forces - yes, probably not going to make a difference. In which case, so what? :s0092:

There have been times when I have said "I wish I had bought more of these mags or ammo when I could", but never the opposite. I hope I never have to use them in a firefight, but if I do I am not going to regret having too many guns, mags or ammo.

YMMV

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads