JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just curious if a gun with a integral suppressor is registered as the suppressor itself? The gun is the suppressor? I assume it has to be that way but am curious about what part is marked and controlled. In the case of a .22 it seems like a serviceable integral would be ideal if the gun itself was the marked item as it would allow you to rebuild and modify the configuration with a single stamp.

Just curious if a gun with a integral suppressor is registered as the suppressor itself? The gun is the suppressor? I assume it has to be that way but am curious about what part is marked and controlled. In the case of a .22 it seems like a serviceable integral would be ideal if the gun itself was the marked item as it would allow you to rebuild and modify the configuration with a single stamp.

I've looked into the ak-47's with an integral suppressor and it is just the gun itself that has the stamp.

If you run it shorter then the 16", then a second stamp for the SBR would apply, is my understanding.

Personally I think it's better to buy a suppressor you can move to other guns but I can see having a gun built suppressed. Guns built suppressed use the serial number of the gun to register it.

Jim my thought is from the standpoint of a tinker making modifications and changes to a project gun. My assumption would be that I could make and try new things without fear of running afoul of the Feds. I would sacrifice a 10/22 to the cause and spend some time seeing how quite I could make it.

From the standpoint of just having a suppressor I fully agree that having a registered can that goes from gun to gun is the way to go.

My next adventure is going to be setting up a trust and purchasing a few NFA items but building a home built suppressed 10/22 is something kind of outside the scope of that just for fun.

The law full route would be to get a FFL gunsmith lic to keep you from going to jail. It would make you legally able to possess NFA items to work on them. You could play all you want but could not sell your toys once you make them. If you want to profit from your adventure the FFL manufacturers lic will allow you to build and sell.

Can't I simply submit a form 1 to build a suppressor? I mean who is to say it's "finished". I just assumed I could continue to experiment and improve upon it forever, as long as it's the firearm that is registered and the can is an integral part of it.

If you built a stand alone can I assumed that once its built its built and making changes was probably frowned upon.

Don't take what I say as law but once you own it you can modified it to any legal shape you want. Just keep the paperwork as legal possession. I would not separate the two away from the paperwork.

I would like to have a gunsmith license. Seems like that would be a good approach to the whole thing.

It would open a lot of doors for you to have fun. You can take delivery of guns direct to your house but it requires strict paper work should you be inspected. You can legally build most anything in guns you could want but it can never be transfered if it's NFA.

I oww a legitimate buisness with a location in a commercial buisness park. I would assume that would make things simpler to establish. My company is a LLC so I assume I could do it under the LLC with me as the principle. I'll have to look into it. I know about the paperwork. I had a user of high explosives permit from the ATF for a while. I can't imagin its any worse than that. They are pretty picky about how you store explosives.

Last Edited:
I oww a legitimate buisness with a location in a commercial buisness park. I would assume that would make things simpler to establish. My company is a LLC so I assume I could do it under the LLC with me as the principle. I'll have to look into it. I know about the paperwork. I had a user of high explosives permit from the ATF for a while. I can't imagin its any worse than that. They are pretty picky about how you store explosives.

As a gunsmith there is a lot of latitude and the big boys feel in control. If you want to upgrade later then there are many directions to go. Just make sure you follow the law or you will lose your money, freedom and your rights. Lic takes all the worry out of building things.

Personally I think it's better to buy a suppressor you can move to other guns but I can see having a gun built suppressed. Guns built suppressed use the serial number of the gun to register it.

My first ClassIII was an anphibian 22. A ruger Mk II with an integral or "married" suppressor. It was cool but I soon realized the shortcomings. Unless you are made of money (I am not) and can afford several cans, it is far more effective to have one can you can move around between guns.

I have a 30 cal can that is made for 308 but works just fine on .556 or 22LR. All the way up to 300 magnum.

My first ClassIII was an anphibian 22. A ruger Mk II with an integral or "married" suppressor. It was cool but I soon realized the shortcomings. Unless you are made of money (I am not) and can afford several cans, it is far more effective to have one can you can move around between guns.

I have a 30 cal can that is made for 308 but works just fine on .556 or 22LR. All the way up to 300 magnum.

Smart thinking, only problem I have had is some of the gun barrels are not threaded from the factory right so I end up paying to have it done right.

Contact Mark at TROS. I'm certain he will answer the question.
http://trosusa.com/
10-22_big.jpg

Wow, information all over the place on this one.

The original question. If you have an integral it would depend on how the gun is built to answer that question. In the case of an AR-15 your lower is still a firearm, and your integral "barrel" would be an NFA item with its own serial number. Same would be true for any gun where the NFA portion is able to be removed from the receiver. There are some like the Ruger Mk pistols that the upper is the "firearm" you might be able to use the same serial number for both.

Yes you can LEGALLY build NFA items for your own use by filling out a Form 1 and having it come back approved. With that said you submit your specs for the unit on the Form 1 and those can not change. Also having any "extra" silencer parts around is considered illegal.

To be a gunsmith requires an FFL, https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/gunsmiths.html

If you want to work on/build NFA stuff you need to have an SOT, https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html

As usual, Nwcid is spot on with his post.

Once you have a couple of .22lr cans, then you'll want an integral suppressed gun. I'd prefer a bolt gun as that would be the most quiet.

Just a word of warning, stamp collecting is addictive. I'm up to 6 stamps and really only planned on getting 1 or 2 at the most.

Isn't a class-III SOT license something like $5k a year, and if you ever stop renewing it (for whatever reason) you have to either transfer your inventory to another qualified class-III SOT holder or surrender it?

$500 a year for your MFG part (02 ) SOT
$130 every 3 years for the Regular MFG ( 07 )
$2250 a year for the Obama bubblegum ITAR tax

When you give up your SOT you can keep anything that isn't Full-Auto.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top