JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, unequivocally yes. My advice is to get a 22 suppressor, a 45 suppressor with a Nielsen device such as the osprey, and a battle rifle suppressor. Covers all your bases.
Love my rugged oculus 22 can, got a rugged Alaskan 360 in jail, and next will be the rugged obsidian 45..

Got to cover all the basic bases before expanding out...

YES! it's worth it. I can shoot without hearing protection when I'm alone. However, I shoot long range at Tri-County. I have one for my rifle .300 Win mag. It's not all that great for quiet when there are 10 other guys on the fireing line all l shooting un-suppressed, and some with noise amplificatication muzzle breaks. But for competition, it's worth it. For my rifle, it changes the barrel harrmonics and causes a considerable tighter group.

I also have one in .45 It's the obsidian
I use it on my pistol... super quiet with .45 ACP. I also use it with my 45-70 on the long range black powder range at Tri-County. Because it can be dissassembled for cleaning, not a problem with black powder. It also has .9mm inserts for running it on my beretta 92. I love shooting suppressed.

I've narrowed it down to a .30 cal can. Something HUB/plan b compatible. Am I correct in understanding that chasing absolute decibels on a suppressed AR is somewhat moot due to port pop from higher back pressure cans?

I've narrowed it down to a .30 cal can. Something HUB/plan b compatible. Am I correct in understanding that chasing absolute decibels on a suppressed AR is somewhat moot due to port pop from higher back pressure cans?
IMHO, yes. I prefer short & fat cans for rifles to minimize added length and weight, as they suppress enough to take the Thunder out. Especially so an ARs.

You are correct in your thinking. I'm at the point of considering converting one to a piston system instead of DI and seeing how well that works.

Don't underestimate how much weight can become an issue. If it's just a range/bench toy it may not matter, but if your training with an AR/rifle, even if it's an SBR, that's a big heavy chunk of metal hanging out on the end. It seems to get heavier every shot you take.

Don't underestimate how much weight can become an issue. If it's just a range/bench toy it may not matter, but if your training with an AR/rifle, even if it's an SBR, that's a big heavy chunk of metal hanging out on the end. It seems to get heavier every shot you take.
I'm gonna buy you a set of 5lb dumb bells for Christmas. Good place to start :s0140:

Old school, 20oz SDN-6; doing repetitive shots from low ready kinda sucks after a few hours.
Maybe I'll start hanging the 5lb dumbell off the barrel of a bluegun and incorporate that into my workouts. :s0155:

I'll sacrifice a little sound for half the weight.

I think it's worth it to get at least one. But honestly, I feel like once you shoot with one you won't want to shoot without it. My 3 lifelong hobbies are playing drums, riding (loud) motorcycles and shooting guns. Suffice to say I'll be deaf in my older age if I don't mitigate the decibels somehow.

I think it's worth it to get at least one. But honestly, I feel like once you shoot with one you won't want to shoot without it. My 3 lifelong hobbies are playing drums, riding (loud) motorcycles and shooting guns. Suffice to say I'll be deaf in my older age if I don't mitigate the decibels somehow.
I agree, after getting a couple suppressors it really has changed shooting for me, much more pleasurable. I still shoot loud guns too but enjoy target shooting with the cans on.

Assuming at this point I am only getting one can for multiple uses (home defense, range, shtf) primarily on a 8" 300 blackout...is titanium still the recommended choice or are there comparable steel options? Trying to stay under $1000.

Assuming at this point I am only getting one can for multiple uses (home defense, range, shtf) primarily on a 8" 300 blackout...is titanium still the recommended choice or are there comparable steel options? Trying to stay under $1000.
I've got a Lahar 30K in jail right now. Made by Aero Precision. Very reasonably priced even when not on their super sale prices. If you want one to do it all I'd look at the mid length and not look back. Get whatever quick detach muzzle device your prefer for each gun you plan to use it on and swap quickly between them with 1 suppressor.

I agree, after getting a couple suppressors it really has changed shooting for me, much more pleasurable. I still shoot loud guns too but enjoy target shooting with the cans on.
I've read through this thread and learned a lot, some good info here. I've also thought about it from time to time, wondered why so many people love suppressors so much, and why I just can't get excited about them.

Then it struck me: most of my guns are not your typical suppressor host. I shoot a lot of vintage revolvers and surplus rifles. It's not often that I shoot the kind of guns that you normally use suppressors on, and I shoot a lot of different stuff.

I can see where those who shoot the same guns a lot, that are better suppressor hosts, would get a lot more out of them.

As to the noise levels, I guess that's never really bothered me. I got serious about hearing protection a long time ago. I've heard it repeated many times that especially rifles with muzzle brakes will damage your hearing even with double hearing protection, but that has not been my experience. I have a couple rifles with very effective brakes that I've used for decades, and my hearing is excellent. I don't shoot them a lot and when I do I always use good earplugs inside good ear muffs.

I have to admit it would be cool to have a quiet 10/22, but in my particular financial position, it's just not going to happen; I can't justify it.

Correct, but i'd say for a different reason... as said above, cans make range days much more pleasurable. Won't take long to realize how concussion (especially if you shoot sbr) is greatly alleviated, even if decibels aren't championed for your can model, and tone effects people differently. I've heard cans that have great decibel ratings, but since I personally dislike the tone, other cans are preferred.

Chasing decibels may lead to disappointment in an area, either an exceedingly large/heavy can that isn't absurdly different in report, or a can that requires a lot of tuning/part swaps for reliable cycling (and won't cycle well once unsuppressed d/o caliber.) View each characteristic as trade offs, ie longer can generally causes more back pressure, shorter can has a bit more noise at the muzzle. While I'm not one to get detailed about Pew Science, his charts show ear vs muzzle ratings and display some of these trade offs. Lots depends on your intended caliber and build to suppress... not against desires for multi caliber cans, but you'll want another soon after to justify building an entirely new host.

Some steel options out there, it'd be the route i'd go for multi use AR can on shorter barrels, and consider OCL polo or Liberty Precision Anthem for budget friendly steel options; their can design is warranty friendly unlike some of the 9 month turnarounds dead air has been having. Titanium would run fine on subsonic 8" blackout, supersonic depends on manufacturer; personally would avoid (fully) titanium options if you plan on running 12.5" or under 556 or other 30 cals. IMO while steel is a touch heavier, the *trade off* in flash is worth it for AR platform; inverse if the can is for bolt action/hunting, where you plan on walking and have little weight near muzzle. Putnik has sounded solid also for supersonic use, CAT has some cool tech but both are around 1k range; you'll be dropping some cash on muzzle devices and mounts although HUB saves some cash in the long run. Rearden and LPM devices have worked well for me in the past for plan b options, most of their devices don't need timing and they have external wrench flats.

Really depends on what you plan to do with it? If you just shoot at the local range then probably not. If you hunt or shoot on private property where you can enjoy the benefits of a suppressor then yeah, it's worth it. That being said, I'd like to buy another myself but the wait times just annoy me anymore,,,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top