JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tonight I go to pickup 2 rifles both I intend to suppress, 1 I don't even have a can for yet but it will push me to ordering.

First one and one I don't even have in Jail is a Henry Big Boy Model X in 45lc.

The other, is to have a more easily shoulder carried .22lr than my ruger precision. A Ruger American synthetic stock bull stainless barrel threaded bolt action which I'm planning on testing tonight with a can to see how quiet it can be...

Bull barrel making it heavier but I don't mind... still nicer to pack than my .22lr precision.

Ever since getting my first can in 22lr, I now give preference to platforms with threaded barrels or ones I can get threaded barrels easily...

Good thread!

I totally agree with the Gent who suggested a .22 can, a .45 can with a booster and a .30 cal can to cover all bases. Good advice there.

To further muddy the waters, there are what I call "multi use, multi caliber" cans out there (I.E.- Hybrid .46). Talk about a money pit, lol!

Take a hard, realistic look at what you are going to ACTUALLY be doing with the host/suppressor. THEN start the research process. There are so many more choices now than 40 years ago it is somewhat overwhelming. Fortunately we live in the Information Age. There are lots of reviews and evaluations out there. Do your due diligence. It's actually part of the fun!

Suppressed fire can range from "taking the edge off" to "Hollywood quiet". It all depends on what you have decided to do (after researching the issue and determining desired outcomes).

In my opinion, it's totally worth it! Get going. The sooner you start, the sooner your paperwork will clear!

Best regards.

WMB

It's addictive man. I picked up my first suppressor about a year and half ago. Now I have 12 (at home and in jail) and just picked up 2 more during the holiday sales. I think I'm gonna end up w/ a dedicated can on every gun.

Are suppressors worth it? I'll just say that if you know then you know, and if you don't know then you don't know. If you don't own one or have never shot a PROPER one then you simply don't know. I used to talk smack about them, all the way up until I could afford one, then two, and looking for a third or more. The most aggressive opinions against them seem to have a very similar pattern, I used to be there too though.

I haven't read all the thread but my opinion is that a 22lr can is probably the most fun you can buy in the suppressor world. After that rifle cans are fun too. I have a really nice pistol can in a Dead Air Ghost M but shooting pistols suppressed isn't nearly as fun/cool as rifles or anything 22 for me. I do love the Dead Air on PCCs for sure though! I guess with pistol shooting the extra weight and blast back just take away a bit of the joy. My recommendation would be go buy a 22 can and a rifle can at the same time. Then maybe later go with a pistol can.

I haven't read all the thread but my opinion is that a 22lr can is probably the most fun you can buy in the suppressor world. After that rifle cans are fun too. I have a really nice pistol can in a Dead Air Ghost M but shooting pistols suppressed isn't nearly as fun/cool as rifles or anything 22 for me. I do love the Dead Air on PCCs for sure though! I guess with pistol shooting the extra weight and blast back just take away a bit of the joy. My recommendation would be go buy a 22 can and a rifle can at the same time. Then maybe later go with a pistol can.
I have an Obsidian 45 can with a 9mm end cap. 45 is very quiet, you can hear the action cycling. 22lr is a hoot.

In this day and age in Oregon, is a suppressor worth the effort?
The silencershop keyosk makes it a breeze, super easy and simple to use. Took Me about 15 minutes to get finger prints and information done. Took about 3 weeks to get everything submitted. I was also hesitant to do it because it seemed like a headache. But glad I did because I didn't realize how easy it was haha

I don't understand the animosity and judgement towards non-silencer-owners here.

Nothing against suppressors, but are they really that magical that once you know, you have to have one? I've tried them before, and they are cool and all, but somehow I missed the magical part because as nice as they are, and as much as I understand why so many people love them, I've never felt compelled to buy one myself. I shoot a lot of vintage revolvers and surplus rifles, not exactly suppressor-friendly.

I've been shooting regular guns for decades, and my hearing is excellent. I totally get it that suppressors are useful and a lot of fun, but why am I stupid and ignorant just because they aren't my thing?

I don't understand the animosity and judgement towards non-silencer-owners here.

Nothing against suppressors, but are they really that magical that once you know, you have to have one? I've tried them before, and they are cool and all, but somehow I missed the magical part because as nice as they are, and as much as I understand why so many people love them, I've never felt compelled to buy one myself. I shoot a lot of vintage revolvers and surplus rifles, not exactly suppressor-friendly.

I've been shooting regular guns for decades, and my hearing is excellent. I totally get it that suppressors are useful and a lot of fun, but why am I stupid and ignorant just because they aren't my thing?
I only have them for work, if it wasn't for that I'd opted to spend my money on more guns and ammo. So I get what your saying

I've narrowed it down to a .30 cal can. Something HUB/plan b compatible. Am I correct in understanding that chasing absolute decibels on a suppressed AR is somewhat moot due to port pop from higher back pressure cans?

IMHO, yes. I prefer short & fat cans for rifles to minimize added length and weight, as they suppress enough to take the Thunder out. Especially so an ARs.
In the old days of simple baffles in a tube, with variations in space between them , yes.
High back pressure can = quieter at the muzzle but with more port pop and gas to the face, Low back pressure/"flow through" can = quieter at the port, less gas to the face but more noise from the muzzle.
But now thanks to more complex, printed cans, like the Hyperion, PTR Vents, CAT ODB etc, the innards can do a bit of both- more balanced, higher suppression at both muzzle and ejection port, plus less gas back at you.
It also means shorter, sometimes lighter cans performing better than larger volume traditional ones.
You are correct in your thinking. I'm at the point of considering converting one to a piston system instead of DI and seeing how well that works.
I run dedicated 5.56 and .30 cans each on DI and piston ARs- Piston easier to clean and as most come with adjustable gas systems, can be tuned for a bit less gas in the face and softer recoil plus less filth inside..

Last Edited:
I don't care if someone owns silencers or not. I don't care if someone only owns bows and arrows or the latest carbon fiber-barreled techno-wonder.

What I have noticed on here, overall, in many threads, is people who don't own silencers making fun of people who do. Assuming it is only an attempt to "be tactical" or role play soldier.

It's like the joke: What's the difference between someone who has a tattoo and someone who doesn't? The person with the tattoo doesn't care that the other guy doesn't.

I don't care if someone owns silencers or not. I don't care if someone only owns bows and arrows or the latest carbon fiber-barreled techno-wonder.

What I have noticed on here, overall, in many threads, is people who don't own silencers making fun of people who do. Assuming it is only an attempt to "be tactical" or role play soldier.

It's like the joke: What's the difference between someone who has a tattoo and someone who doesn't? The person with the tattoo doesn't care that the other guy doesn't.
I appreciate that, but I've seen a lot more in this thread of those who love silencers criticizing those who don't. I don't care what other people do either, and I think it's great for every law-abiding person who wants one to own a silencer, but I also think it's a bit cheesy to call people dumb or ignorant if they choose not to own one.

You know, I was thinking a bit so I read through some of this thread again. It occurred to me that it was a thread about suppressors, with posts mostly by people who really enjoy their suppressors, and that the posts I took as judgemental towards non-suppressor folks are probably really just guys playing up the enjoyment of their hobby to like-minded suppressor owners.

I think I misunderstood the tone and took it a little personal when I shouldn't have, and for that I apologize. As a non-owner, I'll just go ahead and bow out of this thread now... :oops:

Well as the OP, my reasons for considering a suppressor aren't to be a tacticool, wannabe operator with a neck beard, full kit, and shot timer, who posts videos on YouTube of his tactical mag changes, and uber cool selector switch manipulation technique.

I'm a middle aged geezer with tinnitus who doesn't want it getting worse (or deafen his family) if he has to use his pdw in his home or enclosed space for self defense. Even after a day of shooting at the range with ear pro, the concussion, not just the noise, of shorter barreled rifles can be problematic. Anyone with tinnitus knows what I am talking about.

Even considering the cost, wait time, and red tape of a suppressor it seems the majority here are satisfied with their purchases. The only problem is there doesn't seem to be a place around here to "test drive" different suppressors before you buy. You basically have to plunk down your $1,000+, wait a year, and hope you like the tone or suppression. I must have watched hundreds of suppressor videos, but there is only so much a phone microphone is going to tell you. Yes I also know about pew science, but raw data doesn't always translate well to a subjective experience.

I didn't think I would ever want or need one but I sure like my rimfire can. I have a multi-caliber too and with the price of accessories, I wish I had bought dedicated ones.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top