JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the 80's I carried full size 1911 or S&W 4 inch model 66. Drank the cool aid that said to carry the gun you shot the best and design your clothes around the gun. That idea sounds good but wears off quickly. Then for many years I went to a S&W 5 shot snubbie revolver. Carried in ankle holster, leg holster, boot holster, IWB holster. Much more comfortable, but snubbies aren't the best to shoot at speed and reloading from a speed strip wasn't great either! Today I only pocket carry and Sig P365 is my preference. Sorry to say that comfort became very important to me, but at least I carry!
Rule number one of a gunfight is to have a gun, so you're off to a good start.

Rule number one of a gunfight is to have a gun, so you're off to a good start.
I have said all my life any gun beats no gun. All my life I have at times only had some kind of "mouse gun". Sometimes due to needing something with deep cover. Sometimes just being lazy. All my life have read and heard the "if you shoot someone with that they will sure be pissed". Yet none of those people want to get shot with one and almost none of them do not end up leaving home with nothing at times. The people who will not carry at all due to that "better gun" being too much hassle may one day run into a time when they needed a gun and its sitting at home. :eek:

First started carrying at 16 years old when I got my first handgun from a family member. (Hey I'm old enough now that I think the statute of limitations clears me :D)

I was young and dumb and it was tucked in my waist band no holster between a belt and my bare skin LOL.

Couple years later got into holsters

Couple years after that got an actual CPL and started getting into other accessories / spare mag holders etc.

Present day I can't remember the last time I've walked out of the house without a handgun and 30 rounds of ammo, a flashlight, a knife, and a bare bones med kit on my physical person. Funny how we evolve. I also won't disclose what's in my car about a 30 second walk from the jobsite but I'm sure you can imagine.

We all start somewhere. I still try to enhance my readiness every day but honestly I think I'm at a point now where i can say confidently that what I have on my person can get me back to my car in the worst of situations and once I get to my car i definitely have enough to get home or go camp out for 3-5 days in the worst of situations.

Also for the feds on here this is just hypothetical banter and fictional stories

Started out with a bunch of odd ball guns not really meant for carry and upgraded as funds allowed. Went as big as I could for many years before settling on a SP 101 357 magnum. Ended up packing it the most. I still pack a big 45 revolver in the winter or woods but I don't carry the big semi autos anymore.

Rule number one of a gunfight is to have a gun,
Last time I carried in public was that 20 ga. shotgun I bought from you. I carried it from Ben's to my car. These days, most of my time "on the street" involves a doctor's appointment for myself or my missus. We don't get in many gun fights at the doctor's office. Come to think of it, appointments are so difficult to get post Covid era, we may have to fight for those at some point.

Last time I carried in public was that 20 ga. shotgun I bought from you. I carried it from Ben's to my car. These days, most of my time "on the street" involves a doctor's appointment for myself or my missus. We don't get in many gun fights at the doctor's office. Come to think of it, appointments are so difficult to get post Covid era, we may have to fight for those at some point.
I have had to take down a few fights in the Dr's office in the past. Just for what it's worth

FWIW, when many of us think of a "doctors appointment" its for a physical ailment and not meeting with a shrink... YMMV. :s0104:
We got called to all the altercations as de-escalators. L & D are the worst, but I had a nasty brawl in an optometrist's office I had to help break up.

Well, I've decided to change up the EDC yet again. Moving to the Ruger LCP Max to get that 10rd capacity in an itty bitty package.
I had the same philosophy until yesterday when my Ruger LCP Max (.380 ACP) became completely non-functioning while shooting at the range. Something is wrong and the trigger will not reset when the slide is manipulated forward and back. I have already contacted Ruger and as usual they have top-notch service and will provide Fed EX shipping to their repair facility...
I like that the gun has a capacity of 13 rounds and the kydex holster fits in my front pocket. I have almost 2000 rounds thru this gun and shoot it at 15 yards at my local outdoor range (15-25-50 yards are my only options).
The fact the handgun I had chosen for EDC completely became inoperable while in use is concerning to say the least

Personally I don't see the benefit of lcp max (10+1 .380) vs guns like p365 (10 or 12+1 9mm). Close to the same size except barrel/slide length, which to me is the least important dimension for concealed carry.

D1B0B3A4-901B-442F-BE8B-79AAA91BE467.jpeg B876E349-6D02-4A62-B706-AA02DE8F3CA3.jpeg B0203778-17B9-4368-9F9E-7D793916E559.jpeg

I had the same philosophy until yesterday when my Ruger LCP Max (.380 ACP) became completely non-functioning while shooting at the range. Something is wrong and the trigger will not reset when the slide is manipulated forward and back. I have already contacted Ruger and as usual they have top-notch service and will provide Fed EX shipping to their repair facility...
I like that the gun has a capacity of 13 rounds and the kydex holster fits in my front pocket. I have almost 2000 rounds thru this gun and shoot it at 15 yards at my local outdoor range (15-25-50 yards are my only options).
The fact the handgun I had chosen for EDC completely became inoperable while in use is concerning to say the least
Sadly there is no such thing as a gun that has never had a problem. It is scary when you are just shooting for fun and something "breaks". Since of course the first thought is what if this happened when I needed it. One good reason to have a back up. I often do since I always have one small pocket pistol with me. When I put pants on its dropped in pocket and never leaves. So often I do have a back up if main fails. Still scary when ammo or gun does not work at the range. :eek:

When I was younger I always carried a 1911 45 pistol. I did not mind the weight and think to this day a 45 in a full size pistol is an excellent fight stopper. Present day - I am in my early 60's and I am not so fond of carrying a full size pistol and have started to migrate to 9mm and 40. Depending on what I am doing I my carry a little 9mm ( sig P290) or a 380 ACP if just going to get gas. I still have my government 45's but they are no longer my first choice due to weight. I have a few compacts I carry and a colt 1911 officer that gets used quite a bit. I have been spending too much time with my rifles and need to start shooting handguns more. If I was a smart man I would get rid of 3/4s of my pistols and learn to shoot what was left. Variety is the spice of life I guess.

I understand the mentality of "it's better to have something, than nothing at all."

With that said if you're carrying a gun just to carry but you can't operate that system accurately/efficiently and get rounds on target…… it may be smarter to carry no pistol at all.

At the end of the day your name is on every bullet that exits that gun.

Personally I don't see the benefit of lcp max (10+1 .380) vs guns like p365 (10 or 12+1 9mm). Close to the same size except barrel/slide length, which to me is the least important dimension for concealed carry.

View attachment 1375750 View attachment 1375751 View attachment 1375752
Sig makes a 380 version of the P365 that has the same lower, but slide that is lighter by 2.1 ounces.

The Sig P365-380 has a slightly longer barrel compared to the LCP Max and is only 5 ounces heavier. Still pocket carryable.

I understand the mentality of "it's better to have something, than nothing at all."

With that said if you're carrying a gun just to carry but you can't operate that system accurately/efficiently and get rounds on target…… it may be smarter to carry no pistol at all.

At the end of the day your name is on every bullet that exits that gun.
Agreed - if you can't use it properly and keep rounds on target, definitely better not to carry. That's one of the main reasons I hate the minimum caliber argument. If you can't manage recoil beyond a .25 ACP, but can run it well and shoot it accurately, I say carry it. Having a gun on you, even a small caliber, that you can shoot well is better than either not having a gun or carrying one you cannot operate.

Used to carry gun (45), knife, Wave and flashlight.
Shifted to 9mm single stack.
Dropped the Wave and flashlight, they now ride in my pack with FAK, 2nd knife, two more lights and piano wire.
Now just a 380 and a sharper knife.

Have on multiple occasions worn my CZ82 in its policeman's square "map pouch" holster with spare mags and no one seems to notice (or recognize) it. :confused:
Thanks for the CZ82 tip!

My "rotation" just grew by one.

Carrying isn't necessarily comfortable for me. But after doing it for so long I find comfort in the uncomfortable.

To me it's one of those choices that comes down to personal preference and need.
I own 9mm semiautomatics where the stock flush magazines are 6 rounds, 15 rounds, 17 rounds and 19 rounds. The 6 rounder is a Beretta APX A1 Carry that is nearly identical in size to the Sig p365 (with less capacity). While the Beretta and the Sig will fit in the front pocket of a pair of Levi's, I find the Beretta too large and heavy for that role on a daily basis and better suited to a waistband holster.
The Ruger Lcp Max is a pocket gun and holds 13 rounds comfortably in the kydex holster in the front pocket with the slightly larger magazine. I also am comfortable with .380 ballistics for lead hardcast or a couple of hollow points rounds (Federal Hydra Shok Deep).
After having shot as many rounds as I have thru this small pistol, I am content with my accuracy at 15 yards. Also my personal lifestyle is an old middle class person in suburbia/rural Eastern Washington. I don't feel the need to pack a full size handgun 24/7.

(Yes I get it, bad things happen at anytime anywhere. But I prepare for probabilities not possibilities, possibilities are literally endless.)

If my circumstances were different my choices would be different. Not expecting anyone to agree with my choices, but you inquired as to why anyone would choose a LCP Max so I thought I would share my reasoning.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top