JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are alternatives to carrying things on your back. Game carts and such. There are what is basically a travois with a wheel on the low end. You can buy them or make them yourself.

View attachment 407452

This guy:

View attachment 407453

Has been touting his system for a while and it seems close to optimal (I would prefer a larger wheel I think), but it appears to me he is either too busy hiking or just cannot interest anybody to manufacture and sell it for him.

Backpack With Wheel: MULE Hauls Heavy Loads Over Any Terrain

There is also the system that I first read about in one of Dean Ing's PAW fiction books; strapping two bicycles together. This guy has an example of that:

One of the advantages of some of these systems is they leave your hands free, allow you to drop the load pretty quickly, and will carry most of the weight OFF your back. Also, some of the systems allow you to carry an injured or sick person, or a child - if the person doesn't weight too much.

A good manufacturer of these is called "Monowalker" Canadian prepper did a great review of them.

I know a lot of people have big packs, armored vests, etc. I just don't see how anyone could carry all off this stuff at the same time for any real distance. It would likely weight 100 lbs between INCH bag and vest, weapons, etc.

Also don't see how a big heavy INCH or even BOB would be carried over an armored vest with mags, etc.

Then there are the issues with carrying a pistol on your waist with armor or a pack. Thigh holsters seem to flop around a lot, and I don't care that they are easily snagged and exposed to the elements...

While some may say soldiers only use what's needed for the mission, you have to keep in mind they are not bugging out, they can get away with just wearing their armored vests and mags then come back to base to rest and resupply. For the survivalist, you don't have all the logistical support. What you can carry is what you have. And I wouldn't count on anything being at a BOL when you arrive as it may be discovered and looted.
You make some good points. Even when I was young truckin over mountains with an 80lb+ pack was a chore... and that was for living outdoors without resupply for two weeks- I think my back took life-long umbrage with that!

You make some good points. Even when I was young truckin over mountains with an 80lb+ pack was a chore... and that was for living outdoors without resupply for two weeks- I think my back took life-long umbrage with that!

I guess having all the gear is good for having options, you don't carry it all at the same time. I just don't see a way to carry a 30lb vest, a 60lb pack, 10lb rifle and 10 lb LBE, etc. for any length of time, even if you are Delta/SEAL/SWAT.

I suppose having the options is good, but you don't really wear all of it at the same time.

Depends on what the SHTF scenario is. An EMP or Carrinton event? High possibility no one with a modern vehicle is driving, and if you are, you won't be getting refills. YES, walking and carrying more than 90 lbs is very, very difficult. I routinely carry up to 70 lbs cross country in rugged high country wilderness off trail, and it's a load of work. With that in mind, my get home pack in the car has @ 3 lbs in it (pretty much a water filter, lightweight headlamp, knife, empty plastic container). I'm not counting the lightweight running-hiking shoes in there which I'll trade out for my crappy footwear if needed. I want my mind to be tight and sharp. I want to be able to move fast. Carrying a bunch of unnecessary BS will dull it and slow me down. Car dies, and I'll be home same day where all my crap is.

As far as getting out of town to safety without working vehicle, if only there was something....anything at all to get away from the hoards of starving angry city dwellers, something that could carry a couple thousand pounds with ease. I drawing blanks here.

7054852999_b57de23d19_z.jpg

I like my "Bag of Holding" ( old D&D reference ) and perhaps a ACME "Portable Hole"... :D

For the real world...I have a mixed bag , pun intended of my old Army gear and Rendezvous items that would work for bugging out or in.

Whatever you choose to use... I suggest that you take out your gear and practice with it , doing some of the skills you think you might have to work or deal with.
Try doing these gear shakedowns doing both good weather and bad , during all four seasons ...And not just in your backyard...take the gear out in the boonies....
It is better to see what works and what doesn't , now , and not during SHTF...
Andy
I do every year it's the pack I use for hunting. I am diabetic so my odds would not be great to begin so when I go in the woods hunting I plan to spend the night if I have to. Yes there are differences but to me it is a good start.

I'd be interested in those considerations. PM if you'd rather.
My enemy is if my blood sugar drops too low it is more dangerous than it being too high. I just pay the price further down the road. A low enough blood sugar will put me in a coma and that will lead to death.I keep a lot of carbs in my pack with water. - in the field energy lost is blood sugar loss. I go prepared to be gone for the next day when I hunt.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top