JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was busy moving all last summer, literally taking with me everything I owned. Gave me plenty of time to analyze the SHTF/ammo equation. All ammo is heavy/bulky.

Whatever else I take with me come scramble-time (including some large caliber pieces), 22lr will figure prominently in the mix just for the huge number of rounds one can carry in a single ammo can/briefcase/backpack, etc., without reactivating that old hernia.

Last summer I watched a video of a BOB of a skilled ex.mil who shares his ideas with a gun-show crowd around the country. It totals under 25# and is breathtaking in the direct and focused purpose. I had to revamp my own thoughts on the subject, but have to agree with everything he said. Plus, I can probably carry 25# for a while.

I'd post a link but have forgotten his name, I sure you can find it with Google-fu powers.

There are alternatives to carrying things on your back. Game carts and such. There are what is basically a travois with a wheel on the low end. You can buy them or make them yourself.

5a96195c5d103208dcdf523d7a4b73f4--backpacking-gear-camping-survival.jpg

This guy:

MULE-11.jpg

Has been touting his system for a while and it seems close to optimal (I would prefer a larger wheel I think), but it appears to me he is either too busy hiking or just cannot interest anybody to manufacture and sell it for him.

Backpack With Wheel: MULE Hauls Heavy Loads Over Any Terrain

There is also the system that I first read about in one of Dean Ing's PAW fiction books; strapping two bicycles together. This guy has an example of that:

One of the advantages of some of these systems is they leave your hands free, allow you to drop the load pretty quickly, and will carry most of the weight OFF your back. Also, some of the systems allow you to carry an injured or sick person, or a child - if the person doesn't weight too much.

I like my "Bag of Holding" ( old D&D reference ) and perhaps a ACME "Portable Hole"... :D

And never the twain shall meet. Don't ever put your portable hole into the bag of holding. If you do, you better hope you roll a 20 on your "get out of the way" check while the rift in the continuum starts.

:D:D

Many people have fantasies about going over land and roughing it. Most of them are just that. Gear is heavy and most people are out of shape.

My plan is to stay put where my stuff is; my daily plan is to get home to my family which is where our stuff is. We each carry a small GHB in our cars.

If we're bugging out I hope to leave quite early and drive where I'm going. If I had to go on foot I have a shooting cart (converted baby running cart) that will carry most of my stuff to cover however much more ground I have to go. It'll carry 50+ pounds and then we'd each carry small rucksacks. That would be the last option. Staying with my home and wheels as long as possible. If I have to go on foot the load will be as light as possible. Move faster and longer that way.

EXCELLENT SUBJECT! Yup I shouted. I am having a very difficult time getting all the WINTERTIME dry heavy warm clothing into the aforementioned four, (4) big big duffel bags. Then it gets worserer. Also having more of a difficult time trying to cram everything I think I need into that overnighter smaller 3 day back pack. Guilty of thinking inside the box here.

What I need is a bigger back pack. Or ... and this is where it gets dicey, some of the needful dry clothing may have to be deleted. Or ... now I can consider the made-known-to-me available alternate means of hiking quickly, (make that jogging) with that wheeled thingie carrying 90% of the load out weight. Thank you. Heretic! You have provided MY solution! :)

Still thinking on getting one of those heavy duty garden carts with the pneumatic tires. Would seem reasonabley easy to set up a pulk harness/belt for one. Looks as they run around $140 from big box stores. With some modification you could set it up to have someone setting in it reasonably comfortable (injured, kids, wheelchair bound etc etc.).

Also, don't forget about your bikes! Best is to cycle with nothing on your back, or minimally (water bag/small pack). Let the bike carry the weight-racks&bags (panniers) or trailer or both.

Let's be realistic here as well.

How many folk would be bushwhacking? Most likely folk would be road/trail traveling for most of the time, with perhaps some short overland travel sprinkled in. A decent bike can be pushed/hauled over shorter non rideable terrain. (The VC during the Vietnam War did just that and pushed immense resupply loads over extreme terrain...).

Stay home, we are in about as good a place as any, and much better than trying to go anywhere.

I also like the idea of having places along any normal travel routes that one can seek safety, people who I know and trust. I also have a few people who I have extended that option to. If they find they are stuck in my neck of the woods. They are to come to us, no notice necessary ...... just get here.

ATCclears: Thank you for the link. Our situation here in SW Oregon in the wintertime is the need for someway to say dry and warm. In spite of all the rain and water, finding safe drinking water remains a concern. Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink.

Thus either filtration or carrying the water on your person. My overnighter earthquake boggie bag is intended for just a couple of days. I gotta carry all the water on my person, or in the pack. That plus the dry warm clothing makes fitting it all inside the pack difficult.

Post earthquake conditions which implies many bad things. A dynamic social and geophysical situation at hand. The assumption is that everything we, (I) own will either be destroyed, damaged, collapsed or non accessible. Thus the need to have everything in the pack.

(We hope the big vehicle bags AND SUVs will be non damaged. But ... we can NOT count on that.)

Impossible to do. Either I need a much larger back pack OR ... like already discussed here on the excellent Forum, just get a wheeled thingie to take the weight off your person. That is probably what I will do. We have some grocery carts. Nice project modifying.

I lived under some trees for an entire winter years ago building the cull pine blow blem plywood palace 16x34 cabin. Just some tarps, para cord, a cheap Wall Mart tent, me and my dog. A fly tarp stung up between trees. A big ground tarp. A good sleeping bag.

(That cabin still stands today. Now used as a big garage and shop. It was built with that conversion in mind)

Brushed snow off the tarps in the AM many times. Also learned how to pitch the tarps sosss they would not fill up with water. I stayed warm and dry. But it took many trials and errors for me and Goldie, (the dog) to get through a typical SW OR winter alive and well.

My worry today is being able to do what I did 25 years ago. Oregon wet and snowy winters. But not that cold. How to get it all into a reasonably sized back pack remains the problem. Assume the earthquake during a pouring rainstorm. This will require planning.

This does NOT address personal defense. Another sad subject. A load out of a M2 Carbine and 150 rounds goes over 13 pounds. Extra weight. It is another sad subject discussion getting through the big earthquake ... THEN dealing with the bad people problems.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

I know a lot of people have big packs, armored vests, etc. I just don't see how anyone could carry all off this stuff at the same time for any real distance. It would likely weight 100 lbs between INCH bag and vest, weapons, etc.

Also don't see how a big heavy INCH or even BOB would be carried over an armored vest with mags, etc.

Then there are the issues with carrying a pistol on your waist with armor or a pack. Thigh holsters seem to flop around a lot, and I don't care that they are easily snagged and exposed to the elements...

While some may say soldiers only use what's needed for the mission, you have to keep in mind they are not bugging out, they can get away with just wearing their armored vests and mags then come back to base to rest and resupply. For the survivalist, you don't have all the logistical support. What you can carry is what you have. And I wouldn't count on anything being at a BOL when you arrive as it may be discovered and looted.

Highcountry mule deer hunters have it figured out. If you check out their setups, they can live a week in the wilderness on their own, kill a deer, and bring all that back.

Me? I'm just gonna take other peoples stuff till I get home.

PS: Semi-rigid thigh rigs like the ones made by Safariland aren't floppy or anything like that. I use one any time I'm open carrying on duty. Its no more open to the elements than any other open carry/duty holster.

I never understood the whole bugging out idea. If there is a scenario where I have no other choice than to leave my home.. I doubt any of us would live too long shortly after our upheaval. And I wouldnt want to live in a world with such a threat that caused said upheaval.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top