JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know a lot of people have big packs, armored vests, etc. I just don't see how anyone could carry all off this stuff at the same time for any real distance. It would likely weight 100 lbs between INCH bag and vest, weapons, etc.

Also don't see how a big heavy INCH or even BOB would be carried over an armored vest with mags, etc.

Then there are the issues with carrying a pistol on your waist with armor or a pack. Thigh holsters seem to flop around a lot, and I don't care that they are easily snagged and exposed to the elements...

While some may say soldiers only use what's needed for the mission, you have to keep in mind they are not bugging out, they can get away with just wearing their armored vests and mags then come back to base to rest and resupply. For the survivalist, you don't have all the logistical support. What you can carry is what you have. And I wouldn't count on anything being at a BOL when you arrive as it may be discovered and looted.

This, Wolfen vehicle... 193145EA-5CBB-4CE8-AB5A-02AB3466E2A6.jpeg

Bugging Out....too many scenarios to imagine, but we can simplify the load-out by developing 3-5 sets of conditions; because we cannot know what the enemy will do...but we can divide our plan into two basic situations; ROL, or WROL.

The amount of equipment is a given; as well as the mode(s) of transpo...

So time is a set of constants that our equipment and modes of transpo will fit into.

How much time will I have to move?

Some WROL examples...

<30 minutes (just hunker down)
>30, <4 hours (build a defense)
>4 hours, <8 hours (hasty load out)
>8 hours (deliberate load out)
> 1 day (recon, pre-po, sorties)
>1 week....

ROL example; "fire evacuation".

Go to motel :confused:

People already living in their bug out location, tend to brush aside a WROL bug out plan :D, but fire danger forces them to evac; <4 hours.

Last Edited:
I like my "Bag of Holding" ( old D&D reference ) and perhaps a ACME "Portable Hole"... :D

For the real world...I have a mixed bag , pun intended of my old Army gear and Rendezvous items that would work for bugging out or in.

Whatever you choose to use... I suggest that you take out your gear and practice with it , doing some of the skills you think you might have to work or deal with.
Try doing these gear shakedowns doing both good weather and bad , during all four seasons ...And not just in your backyard...take the gear out in the boonies....
It is better to see what works and what doesn't , now , and not during SHTF...
Andy

A more serious answer - you don't. If you are on foot anyway. It becomes necessary to have skills that allow for utilization of minimal tools. You are constrained by your physical fitness, the terrain, and mode of transportation. If vehicle bug out is good to go its easy. Throw crap in rig (or better have it prepacked and ready to go with minimal preflight check) and go. If no vehicle then you simply have to leave with what you carry. A pack much over 50lbs for the averagely fit adult male won't do. They will shed weight, maybe the whole thing, maybe having to make a decision over what stays and what is abandoned. Do you want 5 lbs of food or 5 lbs of ammo? How about water? Can you make do without a "sleep system"? Cold weather gear?

Do you need a rifle if you have a pistol? Do you need the pistol if you have a rifle?

If you are going to have the gear you need to practice with it - including a dry run for buggin' out if that is the plan, just like fire drills when we were in school.

Me personally at least once or twice a year I throw on my pack ("get home" variety) and go for a hike, if nothing else to get used to a long walk with the extra weight. I only carry stuff in it I know how to use. Theres more that could go in, but theres no room and a daypack keeps me in check from adding too much crap. Bag probably already pushes 20+ lbs without water, and has enough calories of food for a day. Its not an INCH pack.

I don't have an INCH pack. With wife and young kiddo - I cannot carry the gear needed to keep all 3 of us alive in the wilds for long so thats not a realistic plan. Hunkering down and fortifying home is the best plan. If we are forced out we will go light and carry what food and water we can.

Before kiddo came along we entertained the notion of "head for the hills" - but thats almost certain death and a stupid idea unless you are captain bushcraft or sasquatch, even then - what about disease? I don't want to watch my wife & kid freeze to death or die of pneumonia or starvation. Better chances of surviving in town at this point, even if it comes down to scaving ala the walking dead.

Overall plan is to bug-in. But there's a chance we won't be home when the SHTF, say if the big Cascadia quake lets loose. Of course it would be ideal to transport everything in a vehicle, but the odds are a big quake is going to make driving difficult if not impossible - bridges and overpasses down, buildings and power lines blocking roads, not to mention the entire area trying to get home as well. On foot is a very high likelihood.

So, I keep more in my car than I can carry, just in case. But I keep a manageable backpack in the car too - one that can sustain me for at least 3 days of on-foot travel. I don't need a 100lb pack to do that. Just enough for safety, shelter, clothing, water, some first aid and backup comms. Beyond that, it's just a plan to get home, assuming home is still standing/available. If not, well, then the plan becomes much more complicated.

I won't.

Even when I was half my current age, I had problems carrying heavy packs due to back and neck problems. I think only really fit people who have carried super heavy packs - such as some ground pounders - would be expected to carry such weight.

I have get home gear with a small pack in my daily driver. I am setup for shelter (Ecotat), water (hydration pouch with inline filter), food (FD meals and snacks) and security (at least a pistol, maybe a rifle), and FAK. That is it.

I live at my BOL (my house is in the middle of these trees):

2a5cbcz.jpg

So ALL my gear is at home. All I have to do is make it home. I am within 30 miles of my home 99% of the time, and at home 70% of the time - so the chances of me making it home or being home with a minimum of gear are good.

If I have to evacuate my BOL then I am probably SOL; at almost 64 with a bad back, hip and knee problems and being out of shape, then I probably would not make it for very long on foot with no real place to call my own.

I know a lot of people have big packs, armored vests, etc. I just don't see how anyone could carry all off this stuff at the same time for any real distance. It would likely weight 100 lbs between INCH bag and vest, weapons, etc.

Also don't see how a big heavy INCH or even BOB would be carried over an armored vest with mags, etc.

Then there are the issues with carrying a pistol on your waist with armor or a pack. Thigh holsters seem to flop around a lot, and I don't care that they are easily snagged and exposed to the elements...

While some may say soldiers only use what's needed for the mission, you have to keep in mind they are not bugging out, they can get away with just wearing their armored vests and mags then come back to base to rest and resupply. For the survivalist, you don't have all the logistical support. What you can carry is what you have. And I wouldn't count on anything being at a BOL when you arrive as it may be discovered and looted.
Why do you think it's your place to question, or criticize other people's choices? No one HAS to explain themselves to you, and they especially don't have to justify their choices to you. Too many threads can be boiled down to "I don't understand why people do things I don't agree with." Waste of server space in my opinion.

Why do you think it's your place to question, or criticize other people's choices? No one HAS to explain themselves to you, and they especially don't have to justify their choices to you. Too many threads can be boiled down to "I don't understand why people do things I don't agree with." Waste of server space in my opinion.

Why do you think you can control what people post??? Do you own the internet???? Only people who go along with your fantasy are allowed to post???? Go ahead and carry your body armor (25lbs), INCH bag (70lbs) and your other gear and let me know how long you are able to walk on even a flat, paved road....

The point was to ask how people manage to carry ALL of this gear together. A pack by itself is not comfortable. Add body armor, a pistol, mags, and other gear, and it's all going to be difficult to carry. Or have you ever left your couch???

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews