JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A gun's frame which has the serial number on it is the same as, and no different as being the gun itself as far as the ATF are concerned. Reason is, is that an individual buying the firearm must do the paper work to buy it at the FFL dealer to whom you are shipping the firearm to for a buyer to pick up after doing all the necessary background checks and paper work required by the state to which you ship to.
Hope this helps with your question about shipping any gun in parts separately.:)

A gun's frame which has the serial number on it is the same as, and no different as being the gun itself as far as the ATF are concerned. Reason is, is that an individual buying the firearm must do the paper work to buy it at the FFL dealer to whom you are shipping the firearm to for a buyer to pick up after doing all the necessary background checks and paper work required by the state to which you ship to.
Hope this helps with your question about shipping any gun in parts separately.:)

Thanks for clarifying that! It's what I figured, since I have been able to order (and have shipped to me) some parts that were not serialized.

FedEx has up to what they call a 3 day express shipping. I've used it.
It's a misconception about having to ship handguns overnight. It just depends the carrier, and thier policy.:) long guns can even be shipped via the United States Postal service.

There is a ton of misinformation in this thread.

FedEx requires pistols to be shipped next day air per their policies. I do not believe UPS has a similar stipulation in their terms of use. You would be best check their terms of use.

All three of the big guys, UPS, FedEx, and USPS allow those legal to possess firearms to ship a long gun to an FFL. As well as licensed gunsmiths, so if your shipping your gun to have a guy work on it, best be certain he has proper licensing. In some states it is legal to ship a long gun directly to another lawful person. I don't recall if OR new laws did away with this or not for a shipment to a relative, but it certainly killed it for shipment of a sold firearm to another person. There is no stipulation in all threes use of service agreement that requires you to ship long guns next day.

UPS and FedEx allow the shipment of pistols by those legal to possess them to and FFL or a licensed gunsmith.

Most FFLs for sale purposes appreciate you including a copy of your drivers license.

The shipper does not require a copy of the FFL license or your id. It would not do you any good taping one to the outside or having it with you at the counter.

Many of these terms of use can be found on UPS and FedEx website.

Or by calling them, not the store.

Most stores do not know half of the terms of use agreements. Most are franchised.

I've shipped too many guns in my time at Sportsmans Warehouse, TNW, and personally. I also worked for UPS for 5 years. If you have any questions let me know.

Labeling the box in any way a firearm is a bad idea, outside of electronics, iPhones and such, while I worked at UPS guns were the second thing targeted most by internal thefts. IE folks handling the packages, made it disappear.

Call FedEx and ask them about shipping handguns via thier 1, 2, or 3 day express shipping. I just got off with the phone with them a while ago TODAY, to once again verify this.

I have used this method many times to ship handguns as well as others shipping handguns that I have bought to my different FFL dealers I use. THAT is solid information, no misconceptions about that what so ever. I can't even count the stuff I've shipped and received over the years. My uncle ran a gun and gunsmith business over 40 yrs, and during that time I shipped truck loads of them for him.:cool: I'm no newbie by any means to shipping.

Last Edited:
I do not believe UPS has a similar stipulation in their terms of use. You would be best check their terms of use.

Sadly, UPS does too.

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express Critical™ Service is not available for firearms).
Today I shipped a handgun to a forum member's FFL. I'm 01FFL licensed, so I can use USPS, after they eventually pulled their head out of their rectal cavity. It cost just under $20 for everything (shipping, adult signature, etc.) and it will be there in two days. Out of curiosity, I did a quote on UPS' site for the same thing and it was between $89-$110, depending on the allowed service.

Thanks, I figured UPS does too, but was too lazy to double check their site.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top