JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently sold a handgun to a gentleman in Utah. He sent me a hard copy of the receiver's FFL along with payment.

I've never shipped a handgun, but it's my understanding that the rules are different compared to shipping a long gun. If anyone has experience shipping handguns, I'd appreciate some direction.

P

Edited: Yeah, after reading various shipping policies I believe you can overnight it to the FFL.

If it was me, I would have my LGS do it for me.

Your two FFL holders ( yours and his) need to talk they should be able to do this pretty simply as it is a standard practice. You will need to prepare the gun for shipment. The guys ffl on the other end will need to send or fax or email his ffl to your ffl. Not difficult
. Provide the receiving ffls phone number to your ffl. Let them do what they will be paid for.

USPS does not ship fire arms period...handguns have to go through an FFL but UPS will ship long guns. At least that's what I've found in my experience...
They charge an extra fee because signature required and all that.

The easiest way is to use Bud's Guns online shipping service. They offer a discount next day air with Fed Ex.
You fill out the paper work online, pay the shipping charges and print the next day label.
It's called "Ship My Gun" and I've found it to be the simplest way.
Make sure the gun is unloaded and packaged securely.
They have every FFL on record and most of them have previously dealt with Buds Guns.
You also need to include a color copy (front & back) of your drivers license.

USPS does not ship fire arms period...handguns have to go through an FFL but UPS will ship long guns.
Can't I do it myself?

From the ATF:

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

If OP is not an FFL holder, and he is shipping to an FFL, he will have to use UPS, FedEx, or another "common carrier" for a handgun. Or he can have an FFL in this state ship it to the FFL in another state. FFL dealers can ship handguns via USPS, but nonlicensed individuals cannot. Details from the USPS here.

yes bring the copy of the receivers ffl license an ship it along with your gun

^. This is good advice. Some carriers don't ask to see it, some do, and some even ask to retain a copy. It is easy enough just Xerox a second copy and handle it as they request.

And I have found that all the shippers are not immune from having employees who are ignorant of the regulations, don't know their own company policy, are anti-gun, and/or have their head crammed up their behind. Fortunately, that is the exception.

Handguns by FedEx overnight. Must include copy of ID with shipment for the receiving FFL to document. Gun must also be unloaded (of course).

Also do bring a copy of the FFL you are shipping to, like others have said. I've never been asked for it, but I've heard of some people who have.

UPS will ship handguns too, but your cheapest route to go is using FedEx. Use "FedEx Express" it's the cheap way to ship handguns and long guns. They have 1, 2, and 3 day "Express"prices. Box up the pistol with all info in the box including a driver's license copy, info such as barrel length, make, model, serial number, caliber and the hardcopy of the FFL dealer that you are shipping the handgun to. The FFL dealers require those bits of information usually, and they keep it in thier records for a period of time.
Easy peasy.
FFL dealers are the only ones who can ship handguns via the United States Postal Service, but a non FFL License holder CAN. Ship long guns and Blackpowder handguns through the USPS.
Other than that handguns from individual to factories for repairs, or shipping to a FFL dealer for your buyer, goes strictly through FedEx or UPS, and you must declare it's a handgun at the time of delivery at a UPS or FedEx facility. I've shipped many over the years of all kind of them. Its, easy to do, and if more sellers at the site here would ship the guns they're trying to sell, they would get them sold quicker and have more interested buyers.
Many are affraid to ship, and without just cause. The seller gets his money 1st, then he ships the sold gun to the buyer. Its pretty straight forward. There's nothing to lose and it's a win/ win for both the buyer and a seller. Just send all US Postal Money orders certified so the seller signs for it, and they return a copy of the signed card back to you at your address. That way it keeps any seller honest, and make hard printed copies of ALL paper work you ship to a buyer or seller for records.
Easy to ship though. Hope this helps with any questions you might have had on your mind. :cool:

Last Edited:
USPS does ship fires arms but it's gotta be ffl to ffl . I've had it done .
You CAN ship long guns and black powder handguns. Such guns as BP handguns and replicas are exempt from paperwork, and those can be shipped dirrectly to a buyers doorstep as long as they are of 18 years of age, But cartridge firing handguns must either be shipped via UPS or FedEx by a non FFL holder, or may be shipped via USPS by a FFL License holder.
The rules for shipping long guns etc through the USPS system is, you do NOT declare them as a gun when you ship. The rules for them are on thier website. When a postal worker asks the routine question, such as does the package contain anything flamable, or perishable etc etc. You just answer "no" and they ship it. I have had them explain that to me at 2 post offices before. USPS is a government system, so they do not require you telling them you are shipping a firearm period. It's also keeps theft down they said. So don't ever write on the outside of a box that there's a gun inside of, also write the FFL Dealer's Licence number somewhere on the outside of the box. That's usually another requirement with any shipping so if anything comes in boxed they can match things up etc also.:cool:

Last Edited:
Anyone with a credit card can start their own FedEx account, and you get a bit of a discount over counter pricing. In my experience, it is best to generate the label and have the package ready to go, then drop it off at the proper FedEx location. The proper FedEx location is in most cases not the neighborhood "FedEx Office" where you can go for printing and so forth. You need to take the firearms to a FedEx hub location, the same is true with most UPS Stores. UPS stores are franchises, very rarely do they accept firearms, but I've run across one or two where the owner also has an FFL.

An individual may ship to an FFL, as has been mentioned by a previous poster. ATF has a most asked question pamphlet you can find on the Internet that discusses this very point. Some FFLs are adverse to accepting shipments from not FFLs, make sure the receiving FFL understands you are not an FFL.

The USPS does ship firearms, but will not ship a "concealable" firearms for an individual.

Having the FedEx and UPS regulations can be handy, but that does not ensure UPS will accept your shipment. Twice I have had UPS refuse my shipment even though I could point out their own rules on the Internet. This turns into a non winnable battle, and is why I started a FedEx account. Having the package ready to go, handing it to the clerk, and asking for a receipt takes a lot of the drama out it.

Twice I have had UPS refuse my shipment even though I could point out their own rules on the Internet. This turns into a non winnable battle, and is why I started a FedEx account.

I had a similar experience with our local UPS hub. I did the overwhelming majority of shipping with them over the years and had no real problem with anyone there, though what they requested varied a little between person, which is somewhat understandable. They were the closest place that I could legally ship handguns and their ground rates were good enough for long guns.

Then they hired an incompetent, obnoxious, openly anti-gun, idiot, who is grossly ignorant of both UPS policy and federal regulation, and who wouldn't budge even with UPS' site right in front of her face. After a couple times going around and around with the mouth-breather, I finally gave up and FedEx and USPS (depending on the item) got my business. Living here in the sticks, travel time is a factor, and FedEx is a bit farther of a drive, but at least they've been, thus far, competent and friendly. (It is now largely a moot point as I'm 01FFL licensed, and therefore can use USPS for everything, but still, I'm not likely to bother with the local UPS hub any more.)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews