JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a similar experience with our local UPS hub. I did the overwhelming majority of shipping with them over the years and had no real problem with anyone there, though what the requested varied a little between person, which is somewhat understandable. They were the closest place that I could legally ship handguns and their ground rates were good enough for long guns.

Then they hired an incompetent, obnoxious, openly anti-gun, idiot, who is grossly ignorant of both UPS policy and federal regulation, and who wouldn't budge even with UPS' site right in front of her face. After a couple times going around and around with the mouth-breather, I finally gave up and FedEx and USPS (depending on the item) got my business. Living here in the sticks, travel time is a factor, and FedEx is a bit farther of a drive, but at least they've been, thus far, competent and friendly. (It is now largely a moot point as I'm 01FFL licensed, and therefore can use USPS for everything, but still, I'm not likely to bother with the local UPS hub any more.)

If you have a FedEx account, you can schedule a pickup at your location for very little money. In my case, the charge is less than the cost of gas to drive to do a drop off. The downside, is being stuck at home waiting for them to make the pickup.

I was recently turned away from shipping some ammunition, with proper ORM-D labels because the FedEx counter fool saw the labels and went a little crazy. I set it up for pickup from my home the next day, and had no issues.

USPS does not ship fire arms period...handguns have to go through an FFL but UPS will ship long guns. At least that's what I've found in my experience...

Nope.

Can't I do it myself?

Yes.

USPS does ship fires arms but it's gotta be ffl to ffl . I've had it done .

Not unless 941 changed it, and I don't think it has. I've shipped rifles and shotguns USPS but only FFL can use USPS for handguns.

Handguns have to go FFL to FFL.

Is that part of 941? How can they regulate out of state transfers? EDIT: FFL to FFL is only when shipping handgun thru USPS.

I recommend contacting the receiving FFL and making sure they will accept shipments from a private party.

So far I haven't had a problem with that, but they will demand a COLOR copy of the seller's DL.

Sooooo much misinformation in this thread. Pharma, please use official sources only. You can even ignore me! o_O

Last Edited:
@bbbass , I unfortunately had an FFL send one back because it came from a private party(me). After the owner called me yelling and screaming and threatening to report me to anyone with the power to put me in federal prison. Scum bag shop owners like that are the reason I put in the work for an FFL.

@bbbass , I unfortunately had an FFL send one back because it came from a private party(me). After the owner called me yelling and screaming and threatening to report me to anyone with the power to put me in federal prison. Scum bag shop owners like that are the reason I put in the work for an FFL.

They were either dipsticks, or the didn't like private sales... you're right, ya never know who's on the other end unless you give em a shout.

I sent my daughter, in another state, a complete AR lower that I put together from completing an 80% lower. Her ffl of choice (not mine) had the BATF on the line immediately and even that agent had a hard time straightening her ffl out. The guy was sooooo mad that when I called to ask where he wanted my DL faxed (because I forgot to include it), he heavily criticize my build. I just ignored that part of the convo because I didn't want to cause problems for my girl. I guess what I am saying is what most here already know... possession of an FFL doesn't confer expertise on the laws. Kinda like IRS and tax expertise... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, but you can only ship overnight or 2 day air through UPS or Fedex. I recommend contacting the receiving FFL and making sure they will accept shipments from a private party.

Both FedEx and UPS have a policy whereby handguns must be shipped "overnight." FFL's can do 2 day, I believe, but not the common folk. Which isn't to say that you might not get a clerk who doesn't know the policy...but their official policy is overnight. And that means you're looking at roughly $100 give or take.

Alternatively you can look at "shipmygun.com". I haven't used them yet but I've heard good things about them. And they're much cheaper.

Whichever route you go, make sure you insure it in the event it goes missing.

I am sorry for your experience. The owner of that FFL is a ignorant cretin and, evidently, lacking in any social graces. Alas, such stunning idiocy is all too common. One of many reasons why I became licensed is to provide hassle free transfers (for a small fee) and related services.

One of my LGSs loves to take my private sale biz... the others not so much. The not so much shops are way to high on their fees compared to the good guy. When I'm shopping, I always make sure to include the good guy in my perusals.

I had a similar experience with our local UPS hub. I did the overwhelming majority of shipping with them over the years and had no real problem with anyone there, though what they requested varied a little between person, which is somewhat understandable. They were the closest place that I could legally ship handguns and their ground rates were good enough for long guns.

Then they hired an incompetent, obnoxious, openly anti-gun, idiot, who is grossly ignorant of both UPS policy and federal regulation, and who wouldn't budge even with UPS' site right in front of her face. After a couple times going around and around with the mouth-breather, I finally gave up and FedEx and USPS (depending on the item) got my business. Living here in the sticks, travel time is a factor, and FedEx is a bit farther of a drive, but at least they've been, thus far, competent and friendly. (It is now largely a moot point as I'm 01FFL licensed, and therefore can use USPS for everything, but still, I'm not likely to bother with the local UPS hub any more.)
I had a PROBLEM with UPS .
I told them it was gun PARTS .
AND they wouldn't take it so I went to USPS no PROBLEM. I was just shipping parts and UPS wouldn't do it .
Pistol grip BCG and safety switch.
But because I said the EVIL WORD ."GUN".
THAT WAS IT

I had a PROBLEM with UPS .
I told them it was gun PARTS .
AND they wouldn't take it so I went to USPS no PROBLEM. I was just shipping parts and UPS wouldn't do it .
Pistol grip BCG and safety switch.
But because I said the EVIL WORD ."GUN".
THAT WAS IT

Strange since when I had to return my M14 to Bula Defense I got a return label via email, printed out and shipped it back via UPS. The guy working the UPS counter asked it was for a FFL but it was going back for repairs and was accepted. But I live close to a UPS depot so maybe that made a difference I am not really sure.

Strange since when I had to return my M14 to Bula Defense I got a return label via email, printed out and shipped it back via UPS. The guy working the UPS counter asked it was for a FFL but it was going back for repairs and was accepted. But I live close to a UPS depot so maybe that made a difference I am not really sure.
Like he said it depends on who is working the counter.
I didn't have problems before .but this day they wouldn't do it.

If you choose to ship it it has to go FedEx or UPS and must go overnight delivery for a handgun with insurance and adult signature required. It will be expensive. I shipped two in one box, weighed about 8 lbs and was in a very good box but was $170.00. Needless to say I learned my lesson.

I just bought one from Oregon and seller used his FFL to ship. They shipped ground UPS and cost $20. He used MK Tactical, not sure if they are near you but they absolutely get my stamp of approval.

I have a FedEx truck delivery almost every week with ammo and my USPS GUY BRINGING MY BOXES TO THE DOOR.but the f#$##& UPS guy .
If the blind deaf dog is standing in the yard he keeps DRIVEING. And he knows the dog is blind and deaf .I told him face to face .

I have shipped many guns.

An FFL can use USPS.

Anyone can ship a pistol or a rifle to an FFL or to yourself.

The key is the transfer. You can ship your gun to a gunsmith (for example) and he can ship it back to you once completed. No transfer involved.

If you are selling a gun you can ship directly to his FFL (include the Copy of the FFL). Once received it goes on that FFL's book and he does the transfer.

Yes I know that a gun must be shipped to a FFL BUT I WAS SHIPPING PARTS.
Granted the clown at the UPS STORE couldn't tell you the difference between a BCG .AND A GARDEN HOSE NOZZLE .

Yes I know that a gun must be shipped to a FFL BUT I WAS SHIPPING PARTS.
Granted the clown at the UPS STORE couldn't tell you the difference between a BCG .AND A GARDEN HOSE NOZZLE .

Then you box them and ship as machine parts. No need to declare exactly what they are.

God lord, what a cluster of conflicting responses! So Pharmy, ya' get what you were looking for? o_O

My only two times shipping a hand gun were a new Keltec handgun sent back because it needed work (imagine that!), and a S&W sent to the factory for work. Being green I paid for the Keltec, over night required at UPS and it cost $70.00! I can still see the lady at the counter, smiling smugly, as she charged me $70.00 to ship a small package weighing a little over 2#s for $70.00! The S&W was paid by S&W through fedex.

If I ever have to do it again I would hope that I could find an FFL that would ship for me, for a reasonable price. UPS and Fedex have really got a scam running on the regular guy being legal and going by the rules.

If you choose to ship it it has to go FedEx or UPS and must go overnight delivery for a handgun with insurance and adult signature required. It will be expensive. I shipped two in one box, weighed about 8 lbs and was in a very good box but was $170.00. Needless to say I learned my lesson.

I just bought one from Oregon and seller used his FFL to ship. They shipped ground UPS and cost $20. He used MK Tactical, not sure if they are near you but they absolutely get my stamp of approval.

I'm going to Fedex today. I have color copies (front and back) of my ODL. I have color copies of the receiver's FFL. The handgun is unloaded and well packaged.

The question at hand seems to be:
Can a non-FFL ship a handgun?

I'll update with my experience.

P

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show