JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Years ago, Sheriff Palmer of Grant County liberally issued conceal carry permits to those residing out of state. He came to Vancouver and upon presenting evidence of completion of the class instruction requirement and submitting to fingerprinting right there, processed permit applications.

Eventually my permit expired.

Living in Vancouver, I travel a lot in Oregon and would like to obtain a permit but am not aware of the counties, of any, that will grant them without a showing of cause, which I understand is a lost cause.

Does anyone have any information or helpful advice?

----------

┈ Reason Burger ┈ (@ReasonBurger) | Twitter

Hi DirectDrive. I'm aware of the state requirements. Unfortunately Multnomah County (home of Portland), for all practical purposes, will not grant permits to out of state residents. The ORS does not require issuance to out of state residents on the same basis as residents. I have been informed by the Multnomah Sheriff's office that they will only issue a permit to someone from out of state for cause, which I have been told by a couple sheriffs' deputies is simply a mechanism to refuse permits, much like how California will issue a conceal carry permit for cause.

Glenn Palmer is still sheriff of Grant County but has stopped issuing permits to out of state residents without a showing of cause which I have been told by his office is difficult to obtain.

Do you have a Multnomah County issued Oregon conceal carry permit as a Washington state resident? Perhaps I've been misinformed.

----------

Last Edited:
Hi DirectDrive. I'm aware of the state requirements. Unfortunately Multnomah County (home of Portland), for all practical purposes, will not grant permits to out of state residents. The ORS does not require issuance to out of state residents on the same basis as residents. I have been informed by the Multnomah Sheriff's office that they will only issue a permit to someone from out of state for cause, which I have been told by a couple sheriffs' deputies is simply a mechanism to refuse permits, much like how California will issue a conceal carry permit for cause.

Do you have a Multnomah County issued Oregon conceal carry permit as a Washington state resident? Perhaps I've been misinformed.

----------

You have been misinformed, unless MCSO has just recently changed policy which I doubt.
I just went through the process not long ago just as I posted.
(Except I paid too much for an in-person class.)
I should have done the $10 online class (posted above).

You will want to read the How To (above) and you will have to fill out and send in the application (above).

Also keep in mind that you are dealing more with a specific Sheriff's Office, rather than the state.

Last Edited:
Honor,

Your best bet at the moment would be here: Concealed Handgun Licensing

Everything @ this site in Columbia County is ripe for the picking, the Sheriff is okay with Wash residents and you can pick your appointment dates as well. Good Luck...

Thanks IOM. The site says:

(Exceptions to this can include those leasing or renting property in Columbia County and Washington Residents who come to or through Columbia County on a regular basis)

and

You must write a letter to Sheriff Dickerson stating why you want an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Your reasons must be compelling in nature.

I neither come to nor through Columbia County nor would I likely not be able to satisfy the "compelling reason" requirement. The compelling reason requirement, by the way, has been my understanding with respect to Multnomah County too although perhaps I have been mistaken.

----------

MCSO issue's to Washington residents every day, we hear this all the time and its untrue. Generally, most counties will only issue to residents of the contiguous county across the river. Clark = Multnomah. Skamania = Hood River. Columbia was awesome and proactive but that was backed way off about 3 years ago, its improved some since then.

The MCSO FAQ page actually says "Multnomah County issues to Washington residents".

https://www.mcso.us/site/pdf/chl_faq.pdf

The permit application for NON RESIDENTS asks for a reason: As a non resident, when asked why, "Because I work, travel and recreate in your county".

https://www.mcso.us/site/pdf/chl_application.pdf

Sheriff Jeff Dickson used to come up to the WAC 1-2 times a year, if you are prior Military or LEO then he considered that credit for training. I got mine in 2016, so not sure if he comes up anymore. He's Sheriff for Columbia County.

Sheriff Jeff Dickson used to come up to the WAC 1-2 times a year, if you are prior Military or LEO then he considered that credit for training. I got mine in 2016, so not sure if he comes up anymore. He's Sheriff for Columbia County.

They stopped that outreach a few years ago. I believe it had something to do with the state attorney general pressuring counties to stiffen up on out of state permits.

Thank for all your responses. Per Eric in Oregon's and Sporting Systems' advice, I'll state "Because I work, travel and recreate in your county" as the compelling reason.

Thanks again to all.

Thank for all your responses. Per Eric in Oregon's and Sporting Systems' advice, I'll state "Because I work, travel and recreate in your county" as the compelling reason.

Thanks again to all.
Don't say "work" if you aren't actually employed though. One lie = kiss your permit chance Bye Bye, and then on all future CPL's you have to say Yes to "Been Denied?" and explain why...

Don't put in a word that ain't true.

In regards to Oregon counties, does anyone have experience with Umatilla County? I'm close to that county and don't want to waste money applying if they're not "out of state" friendly.
Umatilla Co kind of jerks you around and is not CHL friendly. Call Morrow co [Heppner 541-676-5317 ] and set up a app in irrigon. Get your on line nra certificate first call and set up an app and bring at least 3 references complete with ad's/phone# Also 2 least 2 ID's. Wa permit is good

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top