JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since the dealer can no longer just run the buyer, and proceed with the sale.
Why not/does not WA have a similar system as OR? - Again I assume it is a State run only system? I guess I never have given it much thought being an Oregon resident and used to the relatively quick BGC and walk out with the gun - or my One Time transfer at a dealer of a private sale.

That is the intent.
There is a benefit of it all. Potentially they are staging for catching felons.
Be it/they domestic, or any/all of the above. That's my thought.

There is no gun laws that are ever written to slow down the criminals. All they are is emotion, as in we have to do something. You see it in how the same people who champion laws treat criminals that are caught. Firs thing they want to do is let them go to do it again. So we of course need more laws, aimed not at the criminals but at the law abiding.

Why not/does not WA have a similar system as OR? - Again I assume it is a State run only system? I guess I never have given it much thought being an Oregon resident and used to the relatively quick BGC and walk out with the gun - or my One Time transfer at a dealer of a private sale.

You are expecting a Government in WA to be efficient? Especially when it comes to guns? Really want them to streamline the process for people who are not criminals to buy a gun? I have to think you must not have lived here long?
Welcome to the mess gun owners have made from decades of supporting the people who do this to them.

The FBI was handling the background checks for WA as a courtesy. WA allowed the FBI to carry the load; why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? Now the FBI is yanking its courtesy checks and WA is trying to recover.

The FBI was handling the background checks for WA as a courtesy. WA allowed the FBI to carry the load; why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? Now the FBI is yanking its courtesy checks and WA is trying to recover.

The one I keep waiting for is the Real ID. Feds have made threats for years that WA ID will not allow you on a plane. WA has dragged it's feet. Wife got all concerned enough to start getting the stuff she needs for an Enhanced ID. I keep waiting to see the day it actually happens. I have what I need to get an enhanced if I have to. If they really do cut it off it will be hilarious to watch. So many people pay zero attention to what is going on. The airport will be full of super angry people told they can't fly. Airlines will be super mad at planes leaving half empty since a lot of the passengers could not board. Law makers who have done nothing will get an ear full from both. Will be interesting to see if they actually drag this to the point the Feds say "enough, no more extensions". Then fun to watch the law makers blame each other. :)

WA has LONG had a deal when buying a hand gun that the CLEO (Sheriff or Chief of Police) had to be told you wanted to buy a handgun and OK it. Used to be 5 day wait. Then they made it 10 days BUT, if they get backlogged and do not give the OK, the dealer "could" let you have the gun.
One more question from an OREGON resident - SO - the LEO has to be notified of a purchaser of a handgun but if they are backlogged the dealer 'could' give the customer the gun - my question is how could the dealer legally give the customer the gun if the LEO could not give the OK?

I've been carrying Enhanced ID for, a long time.
Several have. As we have seen every time a new gun law goes in, a LOT of people live life head in clouds, paying no attention to what is going on. This is why the Feds have kept warning WA and giving more time. They know it's going to be a huge stink when or if they do it. If the State does not fix the system, and the Feds just get tired of warning them, airport will be a place to not work. Mobs of angry people will of course at first take it out on the people there. The next target of their rage will be the law makers who made this mess. Will be fun to watch as the law makers, who have refused to do what is needed, hide under their desks and blame each other. Be perfect if it happens just before an election. LOL

I've had conversations with friends and people I know, mentioning the Enhanced ID. Most come across as if they're not concerned,
and/or say they don't need it, and never will. At that point I let it be.

One more question from an OREGON resident - SO - the LEO has to be notified of a purchaser of a handgun but if they are backlogged the dealer 'could' give the customer the gun - my question is how could the dealer legally give the customer the gun if the LEO could not give the go - ahead?

The way it worked in WA since I can't remember when. Hand gun the FFL notified the CLEO. Law said the FFL had to wait 5 days for the OK. Law never said that on day 6 the FFL had to wait. So the FFL "could" let the handgun go. If later they got a call from the CLEO saying no, they could then tell customer, "hey bring gun back". Law changed to 10 days with same caveat. FFL "could" let gun walk after 10 days. I "hear" some dealers would. All the FFL's I ever spoke with said no they would not. Said they were too worried that if the person was let walk, then CLEO said no, and said customer committed a crime with gun, here would come lawyers. So everyone I spoke with just said no.
During the great panic when the wait was often a month or more one co worker decided to buy. He had started the application for his CPL. Went to store, cash in hand, store turned him away. Said come back after you get your CPL. Reason? Store was tired of selling guns that had to sit in store waiting for CLEO OK. Often buyers would after a couple or three weeks get very angry, want their money back, and blame the store. Who of course had nothing to do with the mess but angry customer could care less. So now we are going to get a whole lot more of this.

It may, but it will inconvenience ALL most likely.
All with enhanced, please step to the front of the line please.
I'm in. :D

It may, but it will inconvenience ALL most likely.
All with enhanced, please step to the front of the line please.
I'm in. :D

Yep, if the state lets it go the people who have not paid attention will never even get to screening. There will be huge signs telling them they are SOL. So they will of course flock to whatever poor slob had to listen to the screaming. Big problem will be half empty planes. It will be great for a short time. If you pay coach there are going to be first class seats up for grabs cheap. Even now I see it often. Them announcing anyone who wants to upgrade for xx dollars because the had open first class seats and they of course want to get something from them if they can. If it does not get fixed fast enough though airlines will start to cancel flights. They will of course make up some excuse, not announce "we are not going to fly half empty" but they can't lose money for long before they will have to just start canceling flights. As I said would be perfect to have it happen just before an election.

I can't say I disagree with any of them !
It's hard to believe a system as this exists with such a flaw in it with the LEO OK 'requirement' - but not really.....

Yep, me too. I have seen many here get super angry, say this should be a crime, can't take my money and then not let me have my gun, blah, blah, blah. Most do not want to hear it's not the FFL's fault. They are pointing their anger at the wrong target. Real problem is a lot of people screaming the FFL is "bad" for doing this also supported the law makers who made this mess. They of course don't want to admit that is the real problem though. Most FFL's are small business people. They do not want to risk everything by letting the gun walk. Some FFL's here have mentioned they do but, a lot depends on how they "feel" about the customer. They have to feel pretty safe and if the customer comes in ranting in anger they are not going to get the gun. I feel for all the FFL's when this starts next month. A LOT of people paid no attention to this. Are going to walk in, thinking they can buy and walk out. When told it does not work that way anymore they are going to want to take it out on the poor FFL holder rather than on the law makers who made the mess.

So 'bottom line' is the wait for the LEO OK is no longer subjective but REQUIRED - correct?

Now that I do not know. I know those of us with a CPL no longer have the advantage of skipping the wait. Now I did not notice if it's still going to be a certain amount of days and the FFL "could" let the gun go. I am sure one of the WA FFL holders here can answer that better. I know at best all of us have to at least wait the min days or for the OK, CPL does nothing for the buy now. I long ago used to tell people who wanted to buy a handgun to go get a CPL first for just this reason. Many often said they did not wish to carry. I said just get the CPL anyway. Then you can just walk in and buy. Later if you want to carry you can. Then they started the "insta check" which was often anything but instant, now there is this crap. They just keep making it harder on the people who are never a problem. The excuse being this is going to slow criminals down. It should be a laughing matter but sadly many fall for this crap.

Now that I do not know.
The biggest problem I see is IF the 'subjective' part remains, and a customer knows this, then I can see a customer getting ugly, demanding the gun etc.
While I still agree with most of the FFLs NOT giving it to the customer they may have to endure some grief.
With regard to CPLs loosing the advantage of skipping the wait, well 'ignorance of the law' etc. will be the savior of the FFLs but for the same reasons the FFLs will still be the 'sounding board'.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top